Is this real life? (A too-early mock, 3 rounds)

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
"He's Gotta Have Him!" Appreciate your posts, especially your mocks. I'll watch some more on him...maybe you'll make me a believer.

I posted a video of Mazi Smith hopping up stairs somewhere here, and I'd really like to have him, maybe in the 3rd.

But most importantly, I want a damaging 3-Tech that can bat passes, and push the pocket in the middle of the QBs face! Bill Walsh said that they are one of the most valuable players on defense. Andy Reid is a Bill Walsh disciple, and he fleeced Seattle by trading up for Fletcher Cox who continues to cause havoc for Philadelphia. I love Bruce Irvin, but hindsight...

Also, about as soon and Andy Reid got to Kansas City, he drafted Chris Jones who is a 2022 DPOY candidate.

So my thinking is Jalen Carter, or if someone offers them a King's Ransom for their Top 5 pick, maybe one of those 6'6" or 6'7" players available in the draft. Then draft Drake Maye in 2024.

Chris Jones Is a Defensive Player of the Year Candidate

Chris Jones has been the Chiefs' best defender for years, but is it time for him to earn the ultimate accolade?

However, Jones is doing what Donald did every year he won the award. He is the highest-graded defensive player in the league, according to Pro Football Focus.

Though PFF has flaws and shouldn't be used as the end-all-be-all, it has become increasingly popular with the mainstream media and award voters alike.

Jones really did end up being a wrecking ball. He looked like an alright prospect in college, but boy. Didn't see him popping off like he has. Deserves way more name recognition.

As long as they come away with one of the two blue chips at the top (or a massive trade haul for a QB desperate team) then we're golden.

I'm still salivating over Skinner. 6'4", 220, and has the ability to take over a game. Not a huuuuge fan of this draft class overall but mmm, there are some gems.

Chevy

Reaction score
I love it, honestly. He's way bigger than Blair and also has an innate "pop" when he hits. Rather reel his technique in than take another low energy type of guy.

Blair's play wasn't effortlessly energetic like Skinner, and Skinner is also longer with 25 pounds more muscle on him.

I gotta have him.
Selfishly he is also on my gotta have him list. I've always liked intimidating safeties.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Selfishly he is also on my gotta have him list. I've always liked intimidating safeties.
Yeah, they're enticing. Always. And it feels like the moment is right.

Skinner goes beyond hitting hard - he's got that innate power like he's full of dynamite. Doesn't even look like he's hitting a guy hard... until the ballcarrier explodes off his chest.

Just what the doctor ordered for a defense getting imposed upon weekly.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jones really did end up being a wrecking ball. He looked like an alright prospect in college, but boy. Didn't see him popping off like he has. Deserves way more name recognition.

As long as they come away with one of the two blue chips at the top (or a massive trade haul for a QB desperate team) then we're golden.

I'm still salivating over Skinner. 6'4", 220, and has the ability to take over a game. Not a huuuuge fan of this draft class overall but mmm, there are some gems.

Check out the closing speed during the play at :35. This dude is going to be good.

Chevy

Reaction score
Check out the closing speed during the play at :35. This dude is going to be good.
Hey if you have time tonight or tomorrow, start a new post on "3 Must Have Players in the 2023 Draft". I would do it but I have to work this weekend. I'll be sure to chime in with my 3 players with videos and a few words.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
A thought I have been having lately is converting Skinner to a LB having him gain 20 lbs with his ability to cover the field. IMO I would like safeties who excell I pass coverage hard hitting safeties in todays NFL get into trouble even when the hits are legal

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have a feeling Wilson is going to play wel to end the year and knock us out of the Carter, elite QB draft spots anyway making this a moot point. He’s out this week which helps but that defense is so good that if Wislon looks like he did last week we’re not drafting top 3-5

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
A thought I have been having lately is converting Skinner to a LB having him gain 20 lbs with his ability to cover the field. IMO I would like safeties who excell I pass coverage hard hitting safeties in todays NFL get into trouble even when the hits are legal
I like that thought!

Chevy

Reaction score
I am not a fan of converting safeties to LBs. Doing so gains a bit of an advantage in pass coverage, but really hurts the run defense. Gaining 20 lbs is a big ask, and loss of athletic ability will happen with the muscle mass gain. Maybe your thought would work with an aggressive defensive minded head coach, but that is not Pete. Most teams wanted convert Kam Chancellor to LB, not the Seahawks. Kam was and maybe is the most intimidating safeties in the last 20 years.

If you want to convert a safety to LB, we still have Jamal Adams.

ivotuk

Reaction score

20) JL Skinner, S, Boise State (6-4, 220)*​

Aspirational NFL comp: Derwin James, Los Angeles Chargers
With his rare build, Skinner could sneak into Day 1 of the draft if he showcases top-end agility and coverage skills at the Senior Bowl and combine. He has been one of the top hitters in college football over the past couple of seasons. If used around the line of scrimmage more consistently in the NFL -- like James -- he will terrorize quarterbacks, be a factor against the run, find receivers in zone coverage and carry tight ends downfield. At worst, I believe he will be a solid starter as a box safety, like the Cowboys' Jayron Kearse.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Skinner almost feels like the perfect Seahawk pick

Latest posts