Is the Richardson trade worth the price if only 1 season?

Is this a good trade if he only stays 1 season?

• YES

Votes: 144 94.7%
  • NO

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
ivotuk":1738cldi said:
Yes! He could be the difference between Home Field Advantage, and going home early.

As soon as we traded for him, my confidence in the Green Bay game went up. Even with people saying "Seahawks haven't won there since 1999!" "Seahawks got blown out last year in Green Bay."

Exactly!

Rat

Reaction score
Josea16":3igfh0rd said:
mikeak":3igfh0rd said:
1) There was no other realistic deal out there. Season starts this week. It was this or go with what we had. We had issues pressuring the QB. Our defense requires pressure to make the secondary shine. This was as much about need as anything (need from the perspective of being a super bowl contender)

2) I heard it is a second or third with conditions. Anyone else hear that? If so could be tied to resigning him / or just playing time not sure

3) Cost is also spending $6 M which came from reworking Baldwins contract. Now starts the game with the salary cap which no matter how skilled you are mortgages the future

I am for the deal but there is always cost - think it was worth it
Yes. The deal is if he resigns with us we give the Jets our 2018 2nd round pick if he walks it will be our 2018 3rd round pick and switching 2018 7th round picks. The compensatory pick is a separate issue. So yes you make the trade everytime.

I don't know why people are still spreading this garbage. The whole "conditional" thing was debunked like five minutes after the trade was reported. We're giving them a second rounder.

getnasty

Reaction score
The thought of Clark and Avril flying off the edge with Richardson and Bennett collapsing the pocket up the middle warms my heart.

chris98251

Reaction score
Structuring him to have a bigger bonus and less annual salary could be worked out and maneuver the cap and make him happy as well.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
If IIRC these guys have a three year set of boards drawn up as far as contracts go and where we stand so unless the salary cap goes up a hella lot they already know who's not gonna get a new contract , don't they
This was a resounding great deal with the window you have available and I could see him staying here if all goes well
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seymour":3e9d87wy said:
HawkGA":3e9d87wy said:
If the Seahawks could trade a second round draft pick every year for a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl, then absolutely.

We have entered no no territory with this contract to "borrow" Dougs salary cap$$ to push down the road. Schnieder has always avoided that in contracts, and it allows us to make moves without making next year more difficult (in debt).

To sign him long term, someone will need to go, so not knowing who that is it is easier to answer YES right now.

My question to you is, did you not think we had a legit shot at a Super Bowl before the trade?

I think guaranteeing more money for Baldwin is pretty low risk but I agree in general that you don't want to handicap the cap in future years too much.

As to Super Bowl odds, I agree the Hawks would have been one of the top 5 or so favorites but I think this pushes them even higher.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
It TOTALLY pushed us closer to the grand prize, IMHO.
With Sheldon in the mix, our defense is INSTANTLY better. Because let's face it, the Boom of our vaunted Legion is fighting father time, thus QB pressure is paramount. We face Erin week one (and pretty likely again in January) as well as Marriotta, Cousins, Ryan.. Prescott. So this signing bolsters our secondary play by default. If we're to go deeper into the postseason than the past few years, we're gonna need to put a stop to allowing teams to convert on those 3rd and 8 type plays...because I'm still waiting to see if we can end this trend of kicking FG's instead of getting 6 after marching down the field with relative ease.

mikeak

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1lpilye3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1lpilye3 said:
mikeak":1lpilye3 said:
We can always franchise for $16m or so....

Nope, UFA.

I think the franchise # for DL was 13.5M Don't expect that'll increase much from this past season.

Also, only UFAs are eligible for Franchise/Transition tags. The only reason one couldn't tag a player is if it's expressly forbidden in his contract. Playing on the 5th year option doesn't preclude a team from franchising that player in the 6th year.

EDIT: 2017 the franchise value was 13.3M. There is a distinction between Defensive tackles and Defensive ends. Guessing there is another reason we're playing him exclusively at 3T.

Interesting enough, if we were to place the non exclusive franchise tag on him, and he were to sign elsewhere -- we could either match it or receive 2 first round picks as compensation.

Going to go with Seattle is going to be home for Sheldon for at least two years.

Thank you - awesome reply

I knew we can franchise him. Not like one needs to franchise restricted FA guys :)

But had no idea on the salary difference DT and DE. Also as pointed out non-exclusive would be very smart. Win-win for Seattle

adeltaY

Reaction score
mikeak":bxwqv8by said:
Bigpumpkin":bxwqv8by said:
MontanaHawk05":bxwqv8by said:
Bigpumpkin":bxwqv8by said:
From what I've observed in pictures from TC this week is that he is out of shape gasping for air.

Can you substantiate this or separate it from other players who also just got done with a practice and would likely be gasping too?

Sure....when I see a single player squatting down and the rest of the players around him standing up ( saw it on .com), then I have reason to believe that he is worn down. However, it appeared that when he played in Pre-season, he performed up to par. Hey....should he get a sack this Sunday.....I'll take it all back!

Every time I watch a game I reflect on how the QB must be out of shape :sarcasm_off:

Richardson was tearing it up in the preseason. I've been snooping around the Jets subreddit and despite all the locker room drama, their fans seem to agree Richardson gave it his all on the field. Even when they played him out of position at OLB, he still put in the work. I'm not sure that he's out of shape.

Also, with the rising cap, 15M isn't that much for elite non-QB players. Deandre Hopkins just signed a deal for 16M APY and the guy is a receiver. Pass rushers earn more. Donald is looking to get paid 20M a year and he's probably worth it

Davidess

Reaction score
The one thing people are overlooking is that not only our we getting a really good DT but we are losing RW "favorite" red zone target in Kearse. So that leaves the door open for more jump balls to Graham which I trust more than any ball thrown to Kearse.

Go Hawks

NINEster

Reaction score
I'd say it's worth it for the Hawks.

The Deion Sanders is a great example of a rental paying off for an SB (also, don't forget the Niners had a few other short term rentals that year as well).

NFL right now is so fickle living up to the NotForLong abbreviation that anything close to a "guarantee" is most likely worth it, unless you're New England I guess.

Look back to the 2014 offseason for SF.......you think considering what happened to the team the following offseason it wouldn't have been worth the team overpaying a CB or WR? Hindsight is 20/20 of course but that SF team was THIS close to winning it all 3 years in a row....sometimes you have to take a gamble.

Denver did and they're A-ok.

I've felt the Hawks have been trending downwards, mostly because the defense has lost muster compared to prior years and the offense hasn't compensated enough.

A healthy LOB and a fortified DL is enough to give pause to the league if in fact the Seahawk D is possibly going to return to at least 2014/2015 levels.

A star RB and/or DL are the two categories of star players that would elevate the Hawks in the postseason. WR, TE, OL (one player), LB, DB IMO won't.

Richardson being a defensive player won't have to worry about touches unless his usage is not that high.....but if that were the case, it meant he wasn't as good as expected.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the Deion comparison is a good one, and this very well could turn out as good for the Hawks as that did for the 9ers.

Of course, in the past some Hawks fans have liked to put an asterisk on that 9ers team because of the Deion rental, but if the Hawks win the SB this year and collect a comp pick for Richardon they probably won't object to that much anymore. ;)

I'll give crap for that, but not for the rental: teams have windows and go all in on a year all the time .

This year will be a ton of fun if the Hawks and Pats meet in the Super Bowl as most people are predicting, cuz both of them have now slid a ton of chips onto the table for this season.

To be totally honest, given that my favorite team has zero chance of even making the playoffs this year, just as a football fan I'm rooting for a Pats/Seahawks Super Bowl. If it happens that'll be a ton of fun.

Throw in the Packers and the Steelers as the championship game opponents and that's really the makings of a perfect final four and cap to the NFL season.

themunn

Reaction score
The only way Richardson isn't a Seahawk next year is if he bombs out, so in that respect, it's not really worth the price.

Under PC/JS we have paid our guys at the top of their positions where they deserve it, Golden Tate is probably the only one who got away, partly that was to do with Harvin, but also we don't pay above average guys above average salary, we have a fairly simple cap strategy - find elite guys, pay them elite money and fill the rest of the roster with young players. Russell Wilson signed the 2nd highest contract for a QB, Sherman highest for a CB, Thomas, Chancellor and Wagner all paid top 5 at their position, Bennett top 10 and Avril top 20 (though can probably expect a raise at the end of this season - was higher when he signed), even Doug Baldwin is paid top 10 money. Jimmy Graham I've excluded as we didn't sign his contract, but i'd assume we'd give him the same anyway. If Richardson produces he'll get a contract, and we'll find a way to pay him - we always do!

Steve2222

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":o10moll5 said:
The logical question to ask, "What will be his quality of play?
The initial sentiment here is that SR can "walk all over" every opponent's OL and hence he is a "sack machine".
From what I've observed in pictures from TC this week is that he is out of shape gasping for air.
After observing an entire season of great play, staying healthy and staying out of trouble....then I'm sure the FO will come up with the necessary cash.

That's funny. By all accounts from media and fans, Sheldon has been beasting this preseason. But I'm sure you can accurately gauge a players fitness level by the picture you saw of him with his hands on his hips grasping for air.

I really hate being that guy, but a post like this screams of a person who has never played a physically demanding sport. Also, no one has ever questioned Richardson work ethic and motor. His knocks have all been off the field issues.

themunn

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2arhh0ks said:
The logical question to ask, "What will be his quality of play?
The initial sentiment here is that SR can "walk all over" every opponent's OL and hence he is a "sack machine".
After observing an entire season of great play, staying healthy and staying out of trouble....then I'm sure the FO will come up with the necessary cash.

http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/Wat ... 705f783d06

Literally first highlight of that video is him destroying his man one-on-one.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... r-the-sack

Same game, O-Line doesn't get anywhere near him, sure doesn't look like a guy who is out of shape.

That was 11 days ago.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I've always thought it was entertaining when fans talk about how athletes are a "joke" or "out of shape" etc. if they get injured.
These are pro football players, they're in damn good shape.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I could see a 2 year deal, only because the current CBA is over at that time. They will probably try to keep to a clean slate for the beginning of the new deal. I think we have everyone else decked out to stay til that new deal. Not totally sure about rookies tho. Next year will be a very very interesting draft year.

chris98251

Reaction score
This reminds me of Reggie White going to Green Bay and then winning it.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":337qc6jw said:
I could see a 2 year deal, only because the current CBA is over at that time. They will probably try to keep to a clean slate for the beginning of the new deal. I think we have everyone else decked out to stay til that new deal. Not totally sure about rookies tho. Next year will be a very very interesting draft year.

If he has a really good season then no way that he signs for less than 4 years and probably 5