Is the Harvin Fly Sweep Impossible to Defend?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2mvnl3h7 said:
Has anyone noticed how perfectly RW executes the flysweep? It's a thing of beauty the way he smoothly sticks that ball right into Percy's hands right at the last second.
Percy's timing is also absolutely perfect, most of them from the Super Bowl to here he starts running it as late as possible. They both truly look like masters at it. Percy's obviously got plenty of experience with it from Minnesota already, but Wilson's already handling it like a 10-year vet.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
Yes the "Fly-Sweep" can be stopped . Except with our fake options, not by any current defense in the NFL today.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The sweep on it's own isn't that great. Combined with not knowing if they may execute the sweep, Lynch is going to run, Wilson is going to run, or Wilson is going to pass is what makes it a useful tool. As others have stated this is only possible because you have a guy talented enough to pull of the sweep, a guy who can be the "point guard" with his decision making and has the ability to pass or run, and probably most importantly a running back who can still beat a defense even when they throw everything at him.

This is a great addition as long as they don't get too cute with it. Unlike the other teams that relied heavily on the read option, Seattle did a really good job of showing the formation while having Wilson take off with it enough to keep the defense occupied, but not enough for them to key on it and beat him down. When they used it last year, it looked great out of regular running plays, regular passing plays, and play action.

When you think about how they're accomplishing this with a running back that was a demoted castoff, a quarterback who few thought would be a starter, and a receiver with a weird past it's amazing just like it is building a top defense the same way.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
chris98251":2fn71b3d said:
I think if you want to defend it you have to have a dime package backfield or a composition of speed Linebackers as well. You go with a 3 man front and spread the edges and everyone holds their space, this play set up is about misdirection so watching as the options diminish is important. You have to use speed to combat speed and numbers. Your three man front is about holding an edge and collapsing on the Running back once you get that read. Then swarm where the ball goes and hold your deep zone as not to bite on a roll out and allow someone to gain separation.

Thats about the only way I can think of controlling it with a chance of real success.

The thing is you have to have the personal to do it.

Problem for the defense there is that you only have three men at the point of attack against Marshawn. With five blockers, you are conceding two offensive linemen getting to the second level. I think if Wilson witnesses a three man front then he is reading Lynch every time. The entire middle of the defense would be open and have Marshawn matched against smaller DB's. This is problematic because LB's don't even like to tackle Lynch.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm about ready to see a reverse off a Percy sweep. I think that is what will happen to balance out the move defenses make against him.

:les:

chris98251

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1ril2uvo said:
chris98251":1ril2uvo said:
I think if you want to defend it you have to have a dime package backfield or a composition of speed Linebackers as well. You go with a 3 man front and spread the edges and everyone holds their space, this play set up is about misdirection so watching as the options diminish is important. You have to use speed to combat speed and numbers. Your three man front is about holding an edge and collapsing on the Running back once you get that read. Then swarm where the ball goes and hold your deep zone as not to bite on a roll out and allow someone to gain separation.

Thats about the only way I can think of controlling it with a chance of real success.

Problem for the defense there is that you only have three men at the point of attack against Marshawn. With five blockers, you are conceding two offensive linemen getting to the second level. I think if Wilson witnesses a three man front then he is reading Lynch every time. The entire middle of the defense would be open and have Marshawn matched against smaller DB's. This is problematic because LB's don't even like to tackle Lynch.

Agreed the linebackers have to not be wussies. Better to have Lynch try for yds then Harvin and Wilson for Touchdowns would be my thought. I think fast tough Linebackers could challenge the run plays.

The Radish

Reaction score
Nothing is impossible to defend. Eventually teams figure out a way. That's why an innovator like Pete keeps working on new wrinkles.

:les:

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
chris98251":1quitmad said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1quitmad said:
chris98251":1quitmad said:

Agreed the linebackers have to not be wussies. Better to have Lynch try for yds then Harvin and Wilson for Touchdowns would be my thought. I think fast tough Linebackers could challenge the run plays.

But you are going to get a Guard and a Center free to pick up either both ILB, in a 3-4, or a MLB and either an OLB/S. That leaves Lynch 1v1 against a S or an OLB coming in at a bad angle. Neither is a favorable matchup for the defense.

chris98251

Reaction score
No, you would need to get the personnel to do it effectively as I said, but then what? You have 15 other games on the schedule.

You need S and LB's that are a lot like ours to make it work, a Michael Bennett DE and a quick fast girthy NT.