Is Russell Wilson progressing?

evergreen

Reaction score
Give him some talent. UFA receivers. God, what would you do just to have Rice to throw to again? It'd be nice to have Miller too. The guy is a winner. This is not his fault.

dutchman063

Reaction score
The defense is the main reason we won that superbowl.. sure RW helped but that was on the defense.. he is what he is, an average QB who will most likely be making $20million a year very soon

Anthony!

Reaction score
dutchman063":1eunrtt4 said:
The defense is the main reason we won that superbowl.. sure RW helped but that was on the defense.. he is what he is, an average QB who will most likely be making $20million a year very soon

a very short sighted view. Let me remind you Wilson had 4 4th qtr/OT game winning drives that year. If we do not get them we do not get into the playoffs, let alone the SB. remember the game winning TD on 4th that Wilson threw at the NFCCG, not TD no SB. Now on to the SB, how different would that game have gone if he Lucked it? Meaning threw ints in the payoffs like Luck does? Say 2 in the first 2 series. My guess is very different. We were 59% on 3rd down conversions that sure helped as well, and we held the time of possession also helping our defense, You are right about one thing Wilson is what he is but he is far from avg and the facts and stats prove that, and was essential to our getting to and winning the SB.

NoChops

Reaction score
How many guys have gone 200/100 more than once? How many have gone 300/100? No QB's play just goes up and up and up. I'll take Wilson's plateau over Brees' 96%, 300 avg. and 4-6 record any day.

Wilson stopped pooping lucky charm marshmallows, lets start TJack.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That whole stupid argument that they are only Champs because they have a great D is beyond lame. I guess there are a ton of QB's out there who really didn't contribute because they had a great D.

Well, other than Dilfer hahahaha

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
People need to be realistic about Wilson.

Wilson was learning at an amazing pace. It was natural to project him to continue to improve at that level. It was also irrational.

1 - The offensive line got worse

2 - The receiving corps got worse

3 - Bevell is alive, and even weirder, somehow has a job

4 - Wilson is going through a divorce.

5 - Wilson is distracted by endorsements, interviews, etc.

6 - He might even be injured (like last year when everyone wondered what was wrong with him).

Wilson was caught in a perfect storm of complete decimation of the locker room leadership, complete disruption of his offense when half his receiving corp changed or was lost, and for some reason the FO decided that OL is "totally overrated" and just let the 7th radio caller play a little guard for us, or tackle, or whatever we are calling it now...

It is also important to remember that part of what made Wilson so venerated and successful was the intense preparation and dedication he showed. I am going to bet that going through a divorce, and dealing with all the tugs on his time have limited that opportunity. Which made it less likely that guys in the lockerroom would pull behind him.

And we put together an offense based on a mercurial WR who we knew had problems and normally can never play more than 7/10ths of a game without getting injured. Then we traded him for something like one of those Beanie Baby collections you can find on Ebaybut that the owner swears will be worth alot someday because the giraffe is green.

Wilson got stuck half the year trying to get first downs because nobody gets open, and when they do, often they don't catch the ball. Luckily Bevell plans for this by throwing lots of balls sideways toward our 3ft 4 WR that doubles as our PR (2 yards and a cloud of dust, another reason I call him Roomba).

People need to be realistic about Wilson. He is a very good QB. He presents unique matchup challenges. But he might not be anywhere close to Elite and expecting him to be Tom Brady is ridiculous and unfair to him. You would think that the town that got shoveled with Seneca Wallace, Charlie Whitehurst and that backup from Buffalo would at least appreciate that we have a solid QB, even if he isn't perfect.

But asking him to produce while handing him the crap we given him to work with? Probably not reasonable to expect world beating performance then.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Meh, my question would be what QB is going to progress in Wilson's situation?

We're basically minus a 900 yard receiver from last year. The guy we replaced him with isn't here any more, and that guy's replacement is on course for well under 300 yards.

While we're at it let's take away a #1 TE and replace him with a 5th round sophomore who claps his hands to catch the ball, replace a vet RT with a rookie who's having circles run round him in pass protection, and compensate for the loss of our pro bowl center with would-be camp fodder (if we hadn't also lost our backup) Steven Schilling and Paddy freakin Lewis.

Looks like a recipe for regression in my opinion.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
SomersetHawk":np29tyez said:
Meh, my question would be what QB is going to progress in Wilson's situation?

We're basically minus a 900 yard receiver from last year. The guy we replaced him with isn't here any more, and that guy's replacement is on course for well under 300 yards.

While we're at it let's take away a #1 TE and replace him with a 5th round sophomore who claps his hands to catch the ball, replace a vet RT with a rookie who's having circles run round him in pass protection, and compensate for the loss of our pro bowl center with would-be camp fodder (if we hadn't also lost our backup) Steven Schilling and Paddy freakin Lewis.

Looks like a recipe for regression in my opinion.

It's a rough road. If only we had an OC other than Bevell who could compensate for such loses.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":2sudtuxq said:
Just so there is no mistake, I'm not implying that I am not a fan of Wilson. He has done what no other QB has done for the Hawks. He helped us win a Super Bowl.

What I'm asking from those who have a lot more knowledge of the game and position is this. Since he came into the league is he getting better?

1. I know he can run, but is this what we really want from our QB over the long run? The game is littered with running QB's who have gone down to career ending injuries because of the beating they take from defenses.

2. Is he seeing the defenses better and able to make the right read on an increasing regular basis today, compared to when he first came into the league?

3. Is he showing more willingness to make the throw into tight windows when our receivers may have a chance to make the play?

4. Can you tell that he is not playing any more timid than he was the first year in the league?

In other words, do you think he is on the right track for long term success in this league today? This is a legitimate question for me because as most fans I am not an expert in evaluating specific positions on a football team.

I hope will discuss this in a rational manner and leave personal or subject matter attacks out of this discussion. There have been too many this season because we don't seem to be the same team as last year and some take offense to any questioning of the team or specific players.

So, what are your thoughts on this?
With what he's had to work with, his mobility is gigantic, and if he wants to stay in one piece he'd better keep on the move.
No continuity on the O-Line, it's like a huge bandage, especially the Center.
He has an O-Line Coach that isn't making pass protection a priority, Receivers & TE's that aren't always on the same page with him.
Every thing he does, he has to do while on the run....He needs help from his play calling Coach.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2un7obc3 said:
SoulfishHawk":2un7obc3 said:
They don't make the Super Bowl without Wilson. Period.

Without Sherman they don't make it to the SB.

It's a team game, without Pete, John, Paul Allen, Russell, Marshawn, Earl, Sherm, and most of the D and O-line we don't make it to the SB.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He looked significantly better against KC than he had the previous 3 games.

sumos2005

Reaction score
SonicHawk":256goka9 said:
He looked significantly better against KC than he had the previous 3 games.

This

Wilson Threw for 2 TD , 0 int and ran for another 71 yards Sunday. Kearse dropped a TD pass so it should have been 3TD.

Guys, without Wilson THIS YEAR, the Hawks at best would be 4-6. We better figure out how to stop the run, or it wont matter who the QB is...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Thus far he has shown POISE and growth in how he handled adversity on the field, in the locker room and in his personal life. The young man lost an intimate relationship and barely missed a beat. As a vocal leader he is showing he can and must handle the media and locker room concerns. On the field he is having to manage/orchestrate a changing group of offensive players because of all the injuries--getting rooks and newbies in the right position while performing his usual.
His passing production has taken a dive recently BUT for any qb to excel as a passer they must be afforded opportunities. Wilson continues to have the least passing opportunities per game and is surrounded by an average- at-best pass-blocking line and sub par receiving corps. Wilson seems to be unfairly scrutinized because of the offense he plays under. He has the fewest attempts of any regular starter because of the offensive scheme and yet he is slighted because he throws so few passes. He has one of the best starts in the NFL but isnt given full credit because of the scheme he plays in. He continues to march on when others would have been feeling sorry for themselves.

Short answer is a resounding YES he has shown progress as he's overcome much adversity on and off the field!

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
HawkWow":lvaacuhy said:
Wilson hits a wall every year. But this year, while perhaps explainable (and perhaps not) it seems he is stuck against the wall. Really stymied by this because watching him in pre-season, I was convinced he would seldom have to use his legs (!) and likely put up 300 yd games with regularity this season. Without looking at his numbers, I'd guess this to be his worst year as a pro (?).

Certainly there other factors at play in this, but if I were to honestly answer the question posed in this thread, I'd say he may have actually regressed as opposed to progressed. If that is the case, how do we put that all on Bevell? And believe me, I'd like for it to be all on Bevell.

But 3 years together without any improvement worthy of mention? I don't care one way or the other about Bevell. I am not qualified to say the guy sucks and can only consider the great success he's had in the league. There is no franchise in history (imo) that has spit out the quality QBs Green Bay has. When GB hires you to coach the position, you must be pretty damn good with QBs.

From there he took the Vikes (as OC) to the NFCG (and one play away from the SB) before ultimately winning a SB with Seattle. I'm sure many OCs wish they sucked as badly as Darrell Bevell.

With the above in mind, I find it very difficult to believe Bevell is in any way holding RW back, or slowing his progress. In fact, I believe RW is more likely holding Bevell back. And if I'm wrong...why does Bevell continue to be employed by this franchise? Not too many teams would tolerate an OC that does not cater to, then maximize the abilities of the FQB.

So if we are comfortable enough to say No, it does not appear Wilson is progressing, what would be the next question? I ask in all seriousness because with his huge contract looming, I just don't know how we should proceed. I can't see giving him 20 per and I don't know that he would stay for less. I do know I'd hate to see him in another team's jersey. But that's the only thing I know for sure.

I give Favre more credit than Bevell for the success in Minny after all Favre was basically changing plays at will late in the season. In Minny Bevell was OC but Childress had more control of the offensive playcalling before the Favre/Childress saga. Many early drives were scripted by Bevell in much the way his predecessors Alvarez and Sherman (also Holmgren) scripted plays. Bevell was still viewed as unproven coaching prospect even after 2009 and his best offer was a lateral position as OC of Seahawks. So in short Bevell was a qb coach for Favre and an OC for RW BUT he did not make Favre the player he was in GB nor did set up Wilson to succeed the way Wilson has. If history holds true given Wilson's college success and early NFL work he will continue to progress given more opportunities.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Hawkwow, at what point did Wilson hit a wall his freshman or sophmore years in the NFL? If he hit a wall completing the stats he had both years with ratings over 100 then that wall must have been knee high. In fact the criticism against Wilson was that he NEVER encountered adversity.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3euaen29 said:
SoulfishHawk":3euaen29 said:

True. Sherman made a terrific play. However before that Wilson threw a perfect pass to Kearse for TD. It was 4th down and the Seahawks were down 17-10. Without that touchdown pass, they don't even get to the Sherman heroics at end of the game.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1kpcq4jy said:
LymonHawk":1kpcq4jy said:
SoulfishHawk":1kpcq4jy said:

True. Sherman made a terrific play. However before that Wilson threw a perfect pass to Kearse for TD. It was 4th down and the Seahawks were down 17-10. Without that touchdown pass, they don't even get to the Sherman heroics at end of the game.
True that...he had the balls to go up to Pete and say that he can get them offsides on his hardcount and delivered an incredible throw