Is Marshawn returning a sign that reconciliation is possible

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
As one whose jaw hit the floor when I saw what was unfolding on 'THAT PLAY', I'll be the first to admit that armchair red-boarding is the easiest coaching job in existence. Pete likes to try to surprise the opposition. I think he surprised the WORLD with that call. I'll never get over it, but if the players can forgive and forget I'm not gonna be a doorstop.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":26w1n1kp said:
We can argue forever about that play : but the NFL history books say that was the worse play called in Super Bowl history . So there's that .

Is "NFL History books" a website? A group of knowledgable ex coaches and players? Press round table?

Who exactly is this "NFL history books" expert panel that's deemed that play the worst in SB history?

- pass vs run plays from the one yard line are almost 50/50
- Patriots had run heavy defense in the game expecting a run
- Marshawn's success rate from short yardage was something like 30% (4 for 12)
- That very play worked earlier in the year

So we can argue all you want about how poorly the play was executed. Low snap from Unger, Kearse not blocking Browner correctly forcing Lockett to take a much shallower route path, Russell not throwing it low enough, etc.

But just the mere fact that we threw the ball instead of running it? That's a garbage opinion. Happens all the time, every game, every year, regular season, playoffs, SB's.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":360ehb90 said:
xray":360ehb90 said:
We can argue forever about that play : but the NFL history books say that was the worse play called in Super Bowl history . So there's that .

Is "NFL History books" a website? A group of knowledgable ex coaches and players? Press round table?

Who exactly is this "NFL history books" expert panel that's deemed that play the worst in SB history?

So we can argue all you want about how poorly the play was executed. Low snap from Unger, Kearse not blocking Browner correctly forcing Lockett to take a much shallower route path, Russell not throwing it low enough, etc.

But just the mere fact that we threw the ball instead of running it? That's a garbage opinion. Happens all the time, every game, every year, regular season, playoffs, SB's.

This AND, Lynch hasn't been dwelling on it, because if he had been, I doubt like hell he'd want to come in and help Pete & the Seahawks in any way.
It's just a few fans that are still hanging on to a play that was poorly executed, and you are correct, it ISN'T in any History Book.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2me4u98i said:
Scorpion05":2me4u98i said:
There are some very false narratives around that playcall. If Butler is even a half step late, that’s a TD. The main issue is that the rub route didn’t work, poor execution from Kearse and Lockette

My favorite narrative is from Stephen A, who says the play was called to give Russ the MVP. As if they didn’t call a run play right before that and Lynch got stopped at the 1. There was a possibility Lynch could have gotten that TD from that 1st run, they just overthought it and I have no doubt an incomplete pass would have led to a run on 3rd down.
"If Butler is even a half step late, that is a TD".

Most plays in football come down to who has a half-step. The old adage that football is a game of inches while cliche still rings true. You pointed out the fundamental FLAW in that play call yourself. It was a play that operates on a razor thin margin even when executed properly. Then we have the big elephant in the room, Brandon Browner.

The play hinged on Kearse being able to get a clean break on Brandon Browner so that he could pick off Butler. Do I even need to explain the idiocy of this play design? We specifically dialed up a play against a player that we knew well. A player that made a whole career off of pressing players at the LOS, a player that was the most physically intimidating DBs in football, a PLAYER that even elite receivers struggled getting free from at the LOS. That guy. To top things off Bronwer knew what the play was before it even started, it was a play he played in practices against on the Seahawks. He then tipped Butler off pre-snap. We called a play that played into the strength of the opposing defender, and we called a play that the guy had intimate knowledge of in a crucial situation.

If that wasn't enough we called on a WR that was a career special teamer to make the biggest play in franchise history. A receiver known for sloppy route running and dubious hands to make a play that calls for precise route running over the middle of the football field. THAT'S NOT ALL, Belicheck also stated that what we lined up in that specific formation in the red zone that we always ran that specific play. They all knew what play was coming, and we played into their players strengths, and yet some people are surprised that the play didn't work out (Bevell).

You can stand out in an open field with a large metal rod facing the sky during a lightning storm. You may make it out unscaved, but don't be surprised if and when you end up zapped by lighting. This is what the Seahawks effectively did with that play call. I understand that you like Pete, but in this case you need to call a spade a spade. It was objectively a really poor play design when you factor everything in. Not even the fact that they called the pass, this play was mind numbingly stupid on so many different levels. This play is indefensible and Pete as well as Bevell absolutely should be ridiculed for dialing it up.

Wasnt exactly an on target throw from Wilson either. Run the ball they win. Yes perhaps they wanted Wilson to win the mvp...otherwise Lynch gets it.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":c62xs2vu said:
xray":c62xs2vu said:

I saw this thread and i thought- GUYS!! GIVE IT A REST!! ITS BEEN 5 YEARS!!!

Then i saw Sgt Largent analysis and its the best analysis ive read since then. Well done

seahawksny

Reaction score
Also one could say..... Its all a moot point because they probably took a video of Seattles Practice anyway right?

I find it ironic that on one hand people are saying its the worst call in history, yet those same people admit that NE knew it was coming.

So if it was such a poor call, how did they know? Cant have it both ways

Seymour

Reaction score
Who cares? The only 2 left from that team are Wilson and Wagner and it's not going to be problem for either of those 2.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ei7o2lox said:
It's a cliche, but time heals all wounds.

I would have told you you're crazy if you told me Kenny Easley would have been open to being inducted into the Ring of Honor and HOF as a Hawk, because no one in the history of Seahawk players held more resentment towards the franchise for ruining his career than Easley.

Who else was Easley going to be associated with,,,,the Cardinals? A mans ego will trump his resentment any day.

Give it a good 10 years, and I have no doubt guys like Sherm, Earl and Mikey B will come back and have no problem being welcomed with open arms, and having those feelings being mutual. The reality is they know what they were a part of was special, so why would they not want to bask in that glory when they're retired?

Some players will, but I have no doubt somebody will also spill some beans thats going to paint others in a bad light including Pete and the coaching staff. I could easily see Earl or Bennett doing it once their playing days are over. It'll be interesting.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Seymour":3h2d3d4e said:
Who cares? The only 2 left from that team are Wilson and Wagner and it's not going to be problem for either of those 2.

And KJ Wright - and yes, you are absolutely right. Its the fans that cant get past it

seahawksny

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3hhziyyz said:
Sgt. Largent":3hhziyyz said:

I would have told you you're crazy if you told me Kenny Easley would have been open to being inducted into the Ring of Honor and HOF as a Hawk, because no one in the history of Seahawk players held more resentment towards the franchise for ruining his career than Easley.

Who else was Easley going to be associated with,,,,the Cardinals? A mans ego will trump his resentment any day.

Give it a good 10 years, and I have no doubt guys like Sherm, Earl and Mikey B will come back and have no problem being welcomed with open arms, and having those feelings being mutual. The reality is they know what they were a part of was special, so why would they not want to bask in that glory when they're retired?

Some players will, but I have no doubt somebody will also spill some beans thats going to paint others in a bad light including Pete and the coaching staff. I could easily see Earl or Bennett doing it once their playing days are over. It'll be interesting.

I predict it will be Bennett- He has proved hes a lowlife.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22lhooga said:
xray":22lhooga said:

There may not be an official NFL history book for the worst play in Super Bowl history, but its widely accepted by almost everybody. Look up 'worst play in Super Bowl history' online and guess what play comes up more than not?

Its hard to defend that play.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":qg9o5h7y said:
Sgt. Largent":qg9o5h7y said:

A man's ego? The Seahawks ruined Easley's career by forcing him to pop pain meds and Ibuprofen to the point of his kidney's failing. The team didn't even tell him his kidney's were failing, yet he tried to keep playing. His career was cut short, and and he sued the Hawks.

Don't post flippant responses if you don't know the history.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
seahawksny":1x41czlf said:
Also one could say..... Its all a moot point because they probably took a video of Seattles Practice anyway right?

I find it ironic that on one hand people are saying its the worst call in history, yet those same people admit that NE knew it was coming.

So if it was such a poor call, how did they know? Cant have it both ways

What are you going on about? As soon as the Seahawks lined up, Browner knew what was coming and advised Butler. Hell, Belichick knew what it was because of the formation. It was a horrible play call with the personnel on the field made out of panic and nothing more. Pete and Bevell got cute, like they were prone to do, and it cost the team a Super Bowl.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vz5udsp said:
pittpnthrs":3vz5udsp said:
Sgt. Largent":3vz5udsp said:

A man's ego? The Seahawks ruined Easley's career by forcing him to pop pain meds and Ibuprofen to the point of his kidney's failing. The team didn't even tell him his kidney's were failing, yet he tried to keep playing. His career was cut short, and and he sued the Hawks.

I know the history and it wasnt bad enough that he doesnt want to be remembered. Having his name in that stadium for all to see is obviously more important than his resentment towards the organization or he wouldnt have done it. You seem to know it all, so if you somehow talked with Kenny and are coming up with a different scenario, please let us all know about it and how he really feels.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1q59vi97 said:
Sgt. Largent":1q59vi97 said:
pittpnthrs":1q59vi97 said:
Sgt. Largent":1q59vi97 said:

I know the history and it wasnt bad enough that he doesnt want to be remembered. Having his name in that stadium for all to see is obviously more important than his resentment towards the organization or he wouldnt have done it. You seem to know it all, so if you somehow talked with Kenny and are coming up with a different scenario, please let us all know about it and how he really feels.

Nah, you seem to KNOW "How He Really Feels", everyone else would just be venturing a guess. :roll:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Cyrus12":282yte0s said:
Spin Doctor":282yte0s said:
Scorpion05":282yte0s said:
There are some very false narratives around that playcall. If Butler is even a half step late, that’s a TD. The main issue is that the rub route didn’t work, poor execution from Kearse and Lockette

My favorite narrative is from Stephen A, who says the play was called to give Russ the MVP. As if they didn’t call a run play right before that and Lynch got stopped at the 1. There was a possibility Lynch could have gotten that TD from that 1st run, they just overthought it and I have no doubt an incomplete pass would have led to a run on 3rd down.
"If Butler is even a half step late, that is a TD".

Most plays in football come down to who has a half-step. The old adage that football is a game of inches while cliche still rings true. You pointed out the fundamental FLAW in that play call yourself. It was a play that operates on a razor thin margin even when executed properly. Then we have the big elephant in the room, Brandon Browner.

The play hinged on Kearse being able to get a clean break on Brandon Browner so that he could pick off Butler. Do I even need to explain the idiocy of this play design? We specifically dialed up a play against a player that we knew well. A player that made a whole career off of pressing players at the LOS, a player that was the most physically intimidating DBs in football, a PLAYER that even elite receivers struggled getting free from at the LOS. That guy. To top things off Bronwer knew what the play was before it even started, it was a play he played in practices against on the Seahawks. He then tipped Butler off pre-snap. We called a play that played into the strength of the opposing defender, and we called a play that the guy had intimate knowledge of in a crucial situation.

If that wasn't enough we called on a WR that was a career special teamer to make the biggest play in franchise history. A receiver known for sloppy route running and dubious hands to make a play that calls for precise route running over the middle of the football field. THAT'S NOT ALL, Belicheck also stated that what we lined up in that specific formation in the red zone that we always ran that specific play. They all knew what play was coming, and we played into their players strengths, and yet some people are surprised that the play didn't work out (Bevell).

You can stand out in an open field with a large metal rod facing the sky during a lightning storm. You may make it out unscaved, but don't be surprised if and when you end up zapped by lighting. This is what the Seahawks effectively did with that play call. I understand that you like Pete, but in this case you need to call a spade a spade. It was objectively a really poor play design when you factor everything in. Not even the fact that they called the pass, this play was mind numbingly stupid on so many different levels. This play is indefensible and Pete as well as Bevell absolutely should be ridiculed for dialing it up.

Wasnt exactly an on target throw from Wilson either. Run the ball they win. Yes perhaps they wanted Wilson to win the mvp...otherwise Lynch gets it.
The ball was placed where it was supposed to be. Wilson was throwing to a location. Unfortunately, Lockette ran a crappy route and momentarily hesitated before taking off on his route. He shanked it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":17thqxrj said:
Sgt. Largent":17thqxrj said:
pittpnthrs":17thqxrj said:
Sgt. Largent":17thqxrj said:

Did you know they asked Easley to be in the Ring of Honor multiple times through the late 90's and 2000's, and he still refused?

That's how much resentment he still had towards what happened.

My point is he is the worst case scenario of this question, and even that ended well over time.

So I have no doubt guys like Earl, Sherm and even Mikey B will eventually embrace being ex-Hawks. Especially if guys like Kam, Cliff and now Marshawn are still around.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1cl250q3 said:
Wenhawk":1cl250q3 said:
My bet is that Bevell was the rift.

I agree 100 %, Bevell was the cat who monkeyed up the play-call, and then shirked the blame onto Lockette..Pete took the blame because bottom line?, everything goes through him....Even Bevell's massive mistake.
This, especially his blaming of Ricardo. His teammates did not take kindly to that imo. I believe if Pete has Bev "resign" that offseason there's little bitterness.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
xray":ygjye54a said:
scutterhawk":ygjye54a said:
Wenhawk":ygjye54a said:

I agree 100 %, Bevell was the cat who monkeyed up the play-call, and then shirked the blame onto Lockette..Pete took the blame because bottom line?, everything goes through him....Even Bevell's massive mistake.

The biggest play of the game was not engineered by Bevell alone . That play had Carrolls fingerprints all over it . He is still to this day involved in boneheaded offensive plays every game .

This, this and this.
Pete has proven time and time again that he cannot manage the clock, and he makes dumbass play calls at exactly the wrong time. The latest proof was just last week. I give him credit for assembling this team and coaching 'em up, but he has his flaws.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1bhwlkqk said:
scutterhawk":1bhwlkqk said:
Wenhawk":1bhwlkqk said:

This, especially his blaming of Ricardo. His teammates did not take kindly to that imo. I believe if Pete has Bev "resign" that offseason there's little bitterness.
Still waiting for DB to take responsibility for that shit play call.
He pulled the cowardly move and threw his players under the bus for his huge mistake.
A bush league coach if there ever was one.