Is Last year's record how good this team is?

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I guess it depends on who you ask? I think one could come up with 100 different reasons why this team is NOT any better than 7-10. I also think one could come up with 100 different reasons why this team is better than 7-10.

I contend that your answer will partly depend on how you feel about yourself which will directly influence your perspective on how good you think the Hawks are.

Are you one of those guys who just can't emotionally take a loss? there for the game is already lost before it starts... That way you don't have to feel the pain of the loss. same goes with the season.

Are you one of those guys who can list every single bad draft choice the Hawks ever made... every FA acquisition that didn't work out, every coach that wasn't stellar and blame that for the reason why the Hawks will never make the SB despite every other team having the same lists?

Are you one of those guys that think the Hawks are going to the SB every year despite what they do in the off season?

I think the Hawks had a really interesting off season... But more than players, they addressed the coaching staff and added to the culture of the organization. They got rid of the things that were not working including Russ. They are fresh,revived and I think this is important. I think this is an aspect that is overlooked. they had a great draft, they are young and impressionable. IMO it's not really a matter of talent they have that and so does the rest of the league It's about perspective. they have the schemes now how far can these young guys go? What are the factors that determine that? these are the questions that will determine how good this team is and that mostly comes from culture... Rock the Hawk baby!!

toffee

Reaction score
My homer's version:

Our defense allowed same or less points per game as the FOUR conference championship teams, that was playing without our star safety, AND suffered playing way too many minutes. Think about it!!

Our offense suffered with substandard QB plays for at least 9 games, and without functional RB plays for half a season.

AND AND AND
We were fighting a civil war between our biggest star against the OC/HC/GM

We finished 7-10? This homer is ready to say we can match or better that record.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If any of you want to make a little cheddar, I would take the over on Vegas' line. I have the Hawks winning upwards of 8-9 games this year. Most will underestimate this young but talented (and speedy) squad. I just think they will take people by surprise and win a few more games than projected.

sutz

Reaction score
If any of you want to make a little cheddar, I would take the over on Vegas' line. I have the Hawks winning upwards of 8-9 games this year. Most will underestimate this young but talented (and speedy) squad. I just think they will take people by surprise and win a few more games than projected.
I agree, to the point that I think your estimate is more a floor than a ceiling. I'm a homer, what can I say? :)

toffee

Reaction score
Most experts focused on our lack of proven or even qualified QB. that's fair, BUT, we didn't have good QB play for at least half a season last year. EVEN then, Geno kept the game close, real close.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The defense was playing at historically bad levels over the past two years. If they just play at an average NFL level the team could still be 7-10 just based on projected QB play.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I guess it depends on who you ask? I think one could come up with 100 different reasons why this team is NOT any better than 7-10. I also think one could come up with 100 different reasons why this team is better than 7-10.

I contend that your answer will partly depend on how you feel about yourself which will directly influence your perspective on how good you think the Hawks are.

Are you one of those guys who just can't emotionally take a loss? there for the game is already lost before it starts... That way you don't have to feel the pain of the loss. same goes with the season.

Are you one of those guys who can list every single bad draft choice the Hawks ever made... every FA acquisition that didn't work out, every coach that wasn't stellar and blame that for the reason why the Hawks will never make the SB despite every other team having the same lists?

Are you one of those guys that think the Hawks are going to the SB every year despite what they do in the off season?

I think the Hawks had a really interesting off season... But more than players, they addressed the coaching staff and added to the culture of the organization. They got rid of the things that were not working including Russ. They are fresh,revived and I think this is important. I think this is an aspect that is overlooked. they had a great draft, they are young and impressionable. IMO it's not really a matter of talent they have that and so does the rest of the league It's about perspective. they have the schemes now how far can these young guys go? What are the factors that determine that? these are the questions that will determine how good this team is and that mostly comes from culture... Rock the Hawk baby!!
I really want them to be competitive but win less than 5. Just for future picks. Now if they win less then 5 and look awful then the future is screwed.

PNW

Reaction score
My homer's version:

Our defense allowed same or less points per game as the FOUR conference championship teams, that was playing without our star safety, AND suffered playing way too many minutes. Think about it!!

Our offense suffered with substandard QB plays for at least 9 games, and without functional RB plays for half a season.

AND AND AND
We were fighting a civil war between our biggest star against the OC/HC/GM

We finished 7-10? This homer is ready to say we can match or better that record.
Curious which Defense you're talking about? 2012-2015? Also it would be nice to see the stats.

Stud

Reaction score
Most experts focused on our lack of proven or even qualified QB. that's fair, BUT, we didn't have good QB play for at least half a season last year. EVEN then, Geno kept the game close, real close.

LOL. For the first time in 10 years, the Seahawks actually had to play with a backup QB for half the season. I'm sorry, but 95% of the league had their starting QB injured at least once in the last 10 years. It was about time the Seahawks were brought back to earth.

I also say that all those that talk crap about Wilson are going to miss him when/if your QB play really struggles in the coming season. You were spoiled with Wilson, and you didn't even notice and clearly don't appreciate it.

Scout

Reaction score
This is a 7-9 win team based on the talent level. Now, if the defense really plays well and a QB steps up maybe the ceiling is higher. But lets stick with what we know.

According to Sharp Football analysis the 2022 Seahawks are ranked in the top ten for WR/TE combos and depth. If the RBs Penny and Walker show better than NFL average for an entire season then this offense becomes loaded.

So it really relies on improved pressure schemes from the new defensive coaches to really bring this all together.

toffee

Reaction score
Curious which Defense you're talking about? 2012-2015? Also it would be nice to see the stats.
I was referring to last year, 2021, regular season points allowed per game. I compared Hawks to the 4 teams in conference championship games.

Hawks: 21.5
49ers: 21.5
Rams: 21.9 (won superbowl)
Chiefs: 21.4
Bengals: 22.1 (played in superbowl)

Now ask yourself: Did the defense players of those 4 teams had to play the extra minutes that ours did? Our defense players were tired and lost that extra step in 4th quarters, especially towards the last 4-5 games. BUT, our average matched the other 4 championship teams. Frankly, after knowing that we matched those four teams, I have been really proud of our boys.

toffee

Reaction score
The defense was playing at historically bad levels over the past two years. If they just play at an average NFL level the team could still be 7-10 just based on projected QB play.
Historically bad level? How?

2021:
21.5 points allowed per game over the entire regular season games for Hawks, better than the two super bowl teams: Bengal: 22.1, Rams 21.9

2020:
23.2 points allowed per game over the entire regular season games for Hawks
23.4 Buffalo (conference championships)
23.1 Green Bay (conference championships)
22.2 Tampa Bay (super bowl)
22.9 KC (super bowl)

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
What is an expert anyways? Are these guys getting it right most of the time? I think not. Geno is a good QB. How good? He is as good as he allows himself to be. What the hell does that mean? I don't know ask Pete... LMAO!!!! Rock the wow!

rcaido

Reaction score
I think some of you guys are forgetting about the injury. If Wilson did not get injured last season, we would have been one of the top teams in the NFC again. As i mention before, if you dont include the Greenbay game, the Seahawks would have been ranked 6th overall in offensive points per game. Wilson has produce top 10 scoring just about every year w/ Seahawks. I dont see us having a top 10 offensive team. So our defense will need to be beyond elite to have success.

So answer this team is worse then 7-10. Geno went 1-3, so by average im going to go w 4-13 or 5-12.

Rainger

Reaction score
LOL. For the first time in 10 years, the Seahawks actually had to play with a backup QB for half the season. I'm sorry, but 95% of the league had their starting QB injured at least once in the last 10 years. It was about time the Seahawks were brought back to earth.

I also say that all those that talk crap about Wilson are going to miss him when/if your QB play really struggles in the coming season. You were spoiled with Wilson, and you didn't even notice and clearly don't appreciate it.
Your avatar says you are a screaming leftie, who sees the worst in the world and wants to re configure it. We were NOT spoiled by Wilson. I was one of his biggest fans of RW initially but was one of his biggest critics in the last couple of years.

Don't tell me I didn't appreciate the winning years with Wilson, I did but I also saw a diva that in the last 3 years hurt this team immensely and now is telling the world how many years he wants to play for Denver. Sound familiar???

Rainger

Reaction score
As I have said over and over this team is not as bad as the nay sayers in the world. This team is 8 or 9 wins. Book It.

If they are less than 7 wins i.e. 6 or less, get on here and push my face in the shit. I will wear it.

But if they are not and win 7 or more I want all you Hawk/Pete haters, RW groupies to get on to everyone of my posts saying 8 or 9 wins and get down on you negative nellie knees and apologize.

I know you wont do it, because the problem with so many of today's indoctrinated by the media, social media, and the indoctrination school system is YOU HAVE NO HONOR.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

By what measure was the Seahawks defense "playing at historically bad levels over the past two years"?

By DVOA, the Seahawks defense was 21st in the league in 2021 - not good, but not even in the bottom third (it was barely in the middle third) of the league for that season, much less "historically bad."
By points allowed, the Seahawks defense was tied for 11th-best in the league in 2021, just a smidge outside the top third. That's obviously quite far from "historically bad."
By yards allowed, the Seahawks defense was bad - 28th in the league - in 2021. But fifth-worst in a given season is different from "historically bad."

In 2020, the Seahawks defense was 16th by DVOA, comfortably in the middle third and just above the median.
By points allowed, the Seahawks defense was 22nd, which places it at the top of the bottom third. Definitely not good, but also quite far from "historically bad."
Also in 2020, the Seahawks defense was 15th-best in the league in yards allowed, also comfortably in the middle third and above the median.

I see the numbers of a defense that was far from good, but wasn't even close to being bottom-five in the league for either season, much less "historically bad" over the two seasons.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
This is a 7-9 win team based on the talent level. Now, if the defense really plays well and a QB steps up maybe the ceiling is higher. But lets stick with what we know.

I think you forgot that the season now has 17 games. So it could be a 7-10 team or an 8-9 team, but not a 7-9 team unless you think they're going to miss a game.

EDITED TO ADD: I now know that I misread what @Scout wrote.

Last edited: