Is Anthony Richardson worth pick 5?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I am in on that, come to think of it, Hooker has a lot in common with Geno. Lol Geno would be amazed that we drafted a Geno light.

Hooker is a better fit than Richardson for this offense. Id be good if they got him in the 2nd/3rd as a backup for Geno

WarHawks

Reaction score
Jim Nagy, a former scout who worked for the team & now runs the Senior Bowl, said that Richardson would be a media creation. Based on his combine performance. He hinted that teams may not feel as strongly about him. As they evaluate his film. But the media will push a narrative because that's what they do.

If I had to guess, I don't think teams are as high on Richardson & Levis. Will they be selected in the top 10? Probably. But that has more to do with the QB market.
Plausible.

toffee

Reaction score
Hooker is a better fit than Richardson for this offense. Id be good if they got him in the 2nd/3rd as a backup for Geno
Watched couple of Hooker's games, I didn't quite like his decision making. It could be him or it could be the system or plays, but guessing that could improve with coaching,?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Lamar Jackson was an absolute stud in college. Anthony Richardson threw for fewer yards in his college career than Wilson did in his senior season. Lamar Jackson threw for 30 tds and rushed for 21. He was insane in college. Lamar Jackson is infinitely better than Richardson. Jackson also had a 59% completion... Richardson had 53%. Lamar also threw for 3,500 yards two seasons in a row. Anthony Richardson started one year for 2,500 yards.
I certainly agree regarding college production, and nobody is arguing that Richardson's college career was amazing. It's a viable question to ask why Florida didn't win more. However, I think you would agree that the difficulty in drafting QBs is that college production doesn't translate to NFL production well in either direction. You seem to be very heavily projecting college production to NFL production which sometimes works but often doesn't.

My argument is that if you look further into what Richardson did well in college then you can see that translating to the NFL in a way that it doesn't for many project QBs. Richardson actually hung around in the pocket looking to pass and only took off as a second option. And while his accuracy was inconsistent, his best plays were also many of the best plays in college football last year - against high level competition. Utah had a top defense and Richardson made a few plays against them that very few NFL QBs could make.

NFL teams look more at what a player can do then what they can't, because they all view themselves as having talented developmental coaching staffs. Right now there is a GM asking his coaching staff about how they would fix Richardson's mechanics, and the coaches are responding positively that they could do it via X Y and Z. They would much rather take a guy with amazing traits that they can coach up over a polished product with lesser traits who might be closer to his ceiling as a player.

Look at how the Saints beat us last season with Tayson Hill. Richardson has a better arm right now and is significantly more explosive as a runner. If he's still on the board at #6 I would be surprised if Detroit didn't take him despite what they say about Goff. Campbell would love to have a dominant run game and Goff has no guaranteed money left on his deal. I do think that Richardson will be off the board before that though.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I certainly agree regarding college production, and nobody is arguing that Richardson's college career was amazing. It's a viable question to ask why Florida didn't win more. However, I think you would agree that the difficulty in drafting QBs is that college production doesn't translate to NFL production well in either direction. You seem to be very heavily projecting college production to NFL production which sometimes works but often doesn't.
College production isn't a direct translator at all. Conferences, talent, systems... they all can affect your production. I'm not suggesting that college production has any relation to the NFL... but every guy who is drafted in the top rounds has produced in college. Either big numbers for one year, or consistent over a couple. Can you name a starting NFL QB with less production in college? At some point there's not enough evidence for a top 5 pick, especially when the evidence is a guy who can't consistently hit receivers that aren't 70 yards down field. This is the NFL, the defense doesn't get easier.
My argument is that if you look further into what Richardson did well in college then you can see that translating to the NFL in a way that it doesn't for many project QBs. Richardson actually hung around in the pocket looking to pass and only took off as a second option. And while his accuracy was inconsistent, his best plays were also many of the best plays in college football last year - against high level competition. Utah had a top defense and Richardson made a few plays against them that very few NFL QBs could make.
I agree that he is a talented QB. I don't even necessarily think he shouldn't be drafted. If he was a 3rd rounder I think it makes a ton of sense. A potential high upside guy who didn't quite have much figured out in college but has a crazy physique and a gun for an arm? Worth a middle round flyer, hell, even late 2nd.
NFL teams look more at what a player can do then what they can't, because they all view themselves as having talented developmental coaching staffs. Right now there is a GM asking his coaching staff about how they would fix Richardson's mechanics, and the coaches are responding positively that they could do it via X Y and Z. They would much rather take a guy with amazing traits that they can coach up over a polished product with lesser traits who might be closer to his ceiling as a player.
I don't disagree, but not in the 1st round.
Look at how the Saints beat us last season with Tayson Hill. Richardson has a better arm right now and is significantly more explosive as a runner. If he's still on the board at #6 I would be surprised if Detroit didn't take him despite what they say about Goff. Campbell would love to have a dominant run game and Goff has no guaranteed money left on his deal. I do think that Richardson will be off the board before that though.
Taysom Hill went undrafted and is just not that good of a quarterback.

As far as other teams wanting him? I don't care.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I trust Pete and John to make the right decision.

rjdriver

Reaction score
As someone who lives in Athens, Georgia and is a UGA football fan, I've seen quite a bit of Anthony Richardson in the SEC at the University of Florida. Hard pass on him.

As such, what's your take on Carter?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Watched couple of Hooker's games, I didn't quite like his decision making. It could be him or it could be the system or plays, but guessing that could improve with coaching,?
The scary thing about that is if for whatever reason he's making bad decisions,
That doesn't bode well for the NFL , where the offense will undoubtedly be more complicated, everything is coming at him faster , better defensive disguises, and considerably more violent. IMHO.

I could see him lighting it up initially, then as teams figure him out he'll struggle.
ask Kyler Murray.

toffee

Reaction score
The scary thing about that is if for whatever reason he's making bad decisions,
That doesn't bode well for the NFL , where the offense will undoubtedly be more complicated, everything is coming at him faster , better defensive disguises, and considerably more violent. IMHO.

I could see him lighting it up initially, then as teams figure him out he'll struggle.
ask Kyler Murray.
It's my take on his decision making, ie from a guy that never played 🏈

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
He is absolutely worth the #5 pick. 😁
It's possible that he might turn out to be worth the #5 pick, but he isn't right now. Not even close, and the trouble is the signing bonus for a top 5 pick pays the guy as though he is worth it now. So, NO.
I much prefer Hooker in second or third round. He can be ready to go as soon we need him to be. But that is if we just MUST draft a QB this year. I truly believe the best QB for Seattle will be in next year's draft.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
It's possible that he might turn out to be worth the #5 pick, but he isn't right now. Not even close, and the trouble is the signing bonus for a top 5 pick pays the guy as though he is worth it now. So, NO.
I much prefer Hooker in second or third round. He can be ready to go as soon we need him to be. But that is if we just MUST draft a QB this year. I truly believe the best QB for Seattle will be in next year's draft.
I’ll lean into what JS said…….loosely quoted……you have to be able to see where they are going to be, not just where they are now. Seattle would be a good spot for AR to sit, learn and reach his potential. 🍻🍻🍻

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Not understanding how people think the Seahawks are going to be in a position to draft one of the top QB’s next year. Maybe they blow up and are horrible, but the off-season so far doesn’t suggest they will.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Not understanding how people think the Seahawks are going to be in a position to draft one of the top QB’s next year. Maybe they blow up and are horrible, but the off-season so far doesn’t suggest they will.
This year is the chance that rarely comes....a pick at 5....- as Pete has stated in interviews and noted we had the 6th pick many, many years ago......this year will be the chance for top QB (although I've always been 'show me when they get into the league') and see what they've got b/c we've seen soooo many top first round QBs be average to mediocre to flat out being a bust.

We'll see on April 22nd....

I'm now thinking they'll take a QB if the one of the 2 they really want are available.

Next year...no there won't be a high first round pick.

themunn

Reaction score
College production isn't a direct translator at all. Conferences, talent, systems... they all can affect your production. I'm not suggesting that college production has any relation to the NFL... but every guy who is drafted in the top rounds has produced in college. Either big numbers for one year, or consistent over a couple. Can you name a starting NFL QB with less production in college? At some point there's not enough evidence for a top 5 pick, especially when the evidence is a guy who can't consistently hit receivers that aren't 70 yards down field. This is the NFL, the defense doesn't get easier.

There are only 3 QBs drafted in the 1st round since 2000 with just 1 year as a college starter - Mark Sanchez, Cam Newton, and Mitch Trubisky. They were all top 5 picks, though granted had a better single season than Richardson did. Newton is probably the best comparison but he had 4 years to everyone else's 3 (with his year at Blinn).

The question to ask yourself is - if you would draft Mark Sanchez or Mark Trubisky with a top 5 pick, would you draft Anthony Richardson? It doesn't necessarily mean we will do it - but someone out there will.

morgulon1

Reaction score
It's my take on his decision making, ie from a guy that never played 🏈
I hear ya. But there's something to be said about watching a sport for a long time. You tend to pick up knowledge along the way. They've dumbed down college offenses to the point it really stunts the growth of QBs and offensive linemen as well. They use big picture placards on the sidelines!!

AceBoogie715

Reaction score
As such, what's your take on Carter?

I would rather us take Carter with the #5 overall pick. I watched him a lot and I worry about his conditioning, although it wouldn't deter me from taking him given his ceiling and our need for interior line depth. I believe Pete would be able to help him put it all together.