Inside Geno Smith’s Intense Training Regimen

ivotuk

Reaction score
Inside Geno Smith’s Intense Training Regimen For His First Offseason as Seahawks Starter

The veteran has always done his job, he just happens to have a new one this offseason as Seattle’s official QB1.

Albert Breer Jun 5, 2023

While his teammates, like the members of any other eliminated team would, scattered across the country to start their offseasons, Smith saddled up in the Pacific Northwest with Seahawks assistant strength coach Danny van Dijk. The quarterback jokes now that van Dijk was probably pretty pissed with him, because chances are the coach wanted to go home, too. But there was real purpose to what Smith hoped to accomplish over the last two weeks of January.

“Obviously, there was a contract situation coming up, but I just wanted to stay connected to the guys and see it through,” Smith said, during a quiet, postpractice moment Thursday. “I wanted to keep playing until we got to the Super Bowl. I just told myself, If I was gonna make it to the Super Bowl, I’d still be training all the way up to the last day. I didn’t see why this [should be] different. I just took that approach—just continue to train as if I did have a game and just see things into the future for myself.

“Like, if next year, this happens, then I’ll still be working at this time. So why not do it now?”
Geno Smith holds the football at his release point midthrow

Smith is preparing for his Seahawks to be playing even later in the year this coming season.

GemCity

Reaction score
What’s not to love about our QB?

So proud of this dude….

Top 5 this year. He WILL lead us to a deep playoff run.

We’re a DT and experience away from taking it all.

Bold prediction but I believe it more than ever now.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
He's on a good little redemtion story-arc (on/off the field). He and Seattle should lean on it and give the NFL something to chew on. I think the Hawks would get more attention and can use that for scheduling, penalty calls, etc. as the season goes on. Gotta have a reason for the NFL to look at your team, his situation is a great piece.

Woolen/Spoon on the come up, the potential of the new OL and RB stable going forward are some more kindling for the media fire. I honestly don't think the NFL gives a hoot about boring ass teams and it shows. The Cowboys are mediocre in every way, but that are flashy and marketable. Gotta play the game inside the game.

keasley45

Reaction score
This moment and last year ... its not an aberration or surprise for Geno. He's been preparing for it the entire time. For those who continue to think hus success was nothing more than a lucky flash, see stories like this, comments from his current teammates and thise who prepared alongside him after his days in NY to get a picture of who he really is.

At this point, it's foolish and obviously biased to look at who he is and claim he's simply lucky, or a bad / average qb who hit a sweet spot and played above his capability.

He was an incredible college talent - almost 70% completion rate and 5 to 1 td to int ratio - and has shown that his ceiling is closer to that than whatever he did for the abysmal Jets 10 years ago.