If Graham has a monster season, do we resign him?

MOSES

Reaction score
I sure hope so...

If only they could get someone calling the plays that would...

FEEEEEEDDDDD TTTTHHHEEEEE BEEEEEEEAAAASTTTT!!!!!!!!!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Graham's under-utilization is likely equal parts the OC and Wilson.

The OC issue has been thoroughly discussed.

Wilson's brain freeze moments/lack of height/panic habits etc. have been as well.

This season is going to be do or die for the use of JG and a whole slew of other issues that continue to percolate with this team.

It'll be fun - or painful to watch it all unfold but either way, it's sure to be interesting...

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Josea16":21scgof8 said:
I believe it's on Wilson and his insistence to keep throwing the ball to Kearse. I don't care how open he is because nobody actually covers him because everyone knows he will drop every easy catch. I just hope one of the new guys or McVoy can down field block above average so we can cut him already. Cap hit be damned.

In 2016, do you know who had more drops and a higher drop percentage than Kearse with 2 drops on 41 targets for 2.3%??? Graham with 4 drops/ 4.2%. McEvoy with 1 drop on 11 targets had a drop percent of 9.1%.

Baldwin was, of course, absolutely amazing with only 1 drop on 125 targets for a 0.8% drop percent. Richardson also had no drops and 21 catches on 36 targets. Prosise had no drops and 17 catches on 19 targets. Collins was pretty darn good grabbing 11 receptions on 11 targets for a 0% drop percent.

In 2015, Kearse and Graham had essentially identical stats. 1 drop each on 49 and 48 targets respectively.

I can't seem to shake the feeling that Kearse drops passes, but the stats simply don't back it up. I wouldn't be at all disappointed to see him go, I just hope I don't miss him once he leaves.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think the feeling has to do with Kearse being the safety outlet for Wilson who only connected 46% of the time when targeting Kearse. That is atrocious compared to Graham 68.4% and Baldwin 75.2%, and is, by far, the worst on the team. Does this point to a problem with Wilson not getting the ball where it needs to be, or Kearse, not positioning himself for the ball to hit his hands (giving up on the play)?

For those who think Graham isn't targeted enough, consider he was targeted 95 times last year while Baldwin was targeted 125 times. Kearse had 89 targets and Lockett had 66.

I don't think it is the number of targets so much as failure to use him in the red zone that bothers me. His 95 targets put him solidly in the top ten among tight ends for number of targets. I believe that is about 7th or so

hawk45

Reaction score
Lack of red zone utilization is precisely why I would rather save his cap money. When we acquired him it wasn't because we struggled to move the ball between the 20s, it was to address red zone issues.

Should have worked, really. No fault of Graham that it hasn't.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
be4893b153e0bbab2e966349fa5090ed.jpg

If this is true; it will cost $15.6 million go tag him in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3fovpi8y said:
Josea16":3fovpi8y said:
I believe it's on Wilson and his insistence to keep throwing the ball to Kearse. I don't care how open he is because nobody actually covers him because everyone knows he will drop every easy catch. I just hope one of the new guys or McVoy can down field block above average so we can cut him already. Cap hit be damned.

In 2016, do you know who had more drops and a higher drop percentage than Kearse with 2 drops on 41 targets for 2.3%??? Graham with 4 drops/ 4.2%. McEvoy with 1 drop on 11 targets had a drop percent of 9.1%.

Baldwin was, of course, absolutely amazing with only 1 drop on 125 targets for a 0.8% drop percent. Richardson also had no drops and 21 catches on 36 targets. Prosise had no drops and 17 catches on 19 targets. Collins was pretty darn good grabbing 11 receptions on 11 targets for a 0% drop percent.

In 2015, Kearse and Graham had essentially identical stats. 1 drop each on 49 and 48 targets respectively.

I can't seem to shake the feeling that Kearse drops passes, but the stats simply don't back it up. I wouldn't be at all disappointed to see him go, I just hope I don't miss him once he leaves.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

Kearse had 2 drops all last season?

I think not. Not sure where that stat came from, but I call BS on that number.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seymour":1a6hr2c8 said:
bigskydoc":1a6hr2c8 said:
You don't let go of a top 5, HOF, tight end. You figure out a way to pay for him.

Good point. I suppose one might add "unless you are the Saints"?

And that's the incredible irony of all this. The Saints utilized Graham the best, yet they have such a good QB and offensive system that they didn't really miss Graham that much.

The Seahawks, who are "run first" and more about defense than offense, can less afford to lose an offensive weapon like Graham. Our route trees are much more simplistic than NO's, and we depend much more on our receiver's athleticism and ability to get open than confusing the defense with tricky routes.

If we can properly utilize Graham he will be indispensable to us. He and Baldwin on the field at the same time should be able to negate some of the OL woes. Graham with his size and leaping ability, and Baldwin with his elite suddenness. Both guys can get balls really quick if need be.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Seymour":kviefgvk said:
Kearse had 2 drops all last season?

I think not. Not sure where that stat came from, but I call BS on that number.

I linked directly to the source in my post, and it's no revelation to those who have followed his stats through the years. When the ball hits him in the hands, he is one of the most sure handed receivers in the league. He is the all-time Seahawks leader in post-season touchdown receptions, and we all know that he is the guy Russ has targeted for some of the most amazing, critical catches in Seahawks history.

But the "when the ball hits him in the hands" is a huge qualifier. Whatever the reason, when Kearse is targeted, the average result is terrible. Wilson has his lowest completion rate, highest interception rate, and lowest passer rating. Is this due to lack of effort on Kearse's part? Is it due to Wilson having a misguided hope and faith that Kearse will somehow produce one of his amazing plays? Is it that Wilson is simply willing to run the high-risk play to Kearse unlike other receivers? Is it the play calling that asks Kearse to run risky plays?

I really don't know the answer to any of those questions. Ultimately, even knowing the answer to those doesn't answer the most important question, "would replacing him with a different player lead to different results?"

We may get the chance to find out his year if Kearse targets yield similar results to last year.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If you doubt the 2 drop number, Google it. Multiple sources will confirm it, as well as the single drop the year before.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1kw28ezw said:
If you doubt the 2 drop number, Google it. Multiple sources will confirm it, as well as the single drop the year before.

No I checked it and that is the number on the books. Must be a lot of 50/50 balls that they gave him. He was aweful last year and that stat doesn't pass the eye test.