I think Russ lost his nerve in the end.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I saw it differently i thought it was Hackett that made the choice to kick the field goal. I thought the play defined the whole situation. Pete would have never sent the field goal kicker in he would have let Russ win or lose it on 4th down. Why you ask? Because Pete believes in Wilson. Obviously Hackett doesnt. So if Wilson is leaving Seattle because he wants to be great he should pick a coach who believes in him... hard lesson for Wilson...

Now look at Geno and you wonder why maybe he didnt have great success early in his career and and why he is having success in Seattle well... its the culture its Carroll its the one thing that made wilson great... tough lesson for Wilson... but this win wasnt on Geno this was a team win just the way Carroll planned it... amazing stuff ...and wilson on the plan with the realization that he FU...

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
OP...you really might be on to something. They looked prime to run a play before Wilson called that TO. Maybe he did choke.
They called a play with every intention of running it. No attempt to hard count, just a straight Russell plug pull. I'd have more doubts if Russell was set to run the play, but the timeout came from the sideline. Russ no doubt pulled the plug. The discussion that went on during the timeout, well only discover after Russell demands his next trade

bbsplitter

Reaction score
And lost SB 49 with a pass on the back shoulder of the receiver. Which he and his team and media immediately blamed on PC on play call but watch and re watch the game. Russ lost that game plane and simple. The D knew that which is why they bailed on the team and are all now back that RW is no longer here.
Why is revisionist history so prevalent on here? In what world is this "on the back shoulder of the receiver?". This is literally a perfectly lead, at the numbers thrown ball.

The reason for the interception has been solved, concretely, by players on the field. Per Brandon Browners own words, he knew the exact play call coming because PC's offense is as telegraphed as can be, and Browner knew the system. Browner briefed the DBs, DB crashed, Lockette was less-experience as a receiver and didn't box out properly.
"Back shoulder of the receiver!?" Get outta here with that sh##

Attachments

• screen-shot-2015-02-02-at-11205-ampng-783ca64aca15cab3.png
    screen-shot-2015-02-02-at-11205-ampng-783ca64aca15cab3.png
    642.9 KB · Views: 3

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Even the recent pro-Wilson media pieces (part of his ongoing media smear campaign against the Seahawks) have been saying that Wilson wanting out of the Seahawks was about "control," not money. And everyone seemed to agree that Wilson got the "control" he wanted from the Broncos.

If Wilson had wanted to try on 4th and 5, he had the "control" to be able to do it. Instead, he chose to let the kicker try a field goal that would have been tied for second-longest in NFL history if it had been good, and would have been a yard longer than the kick that held the record for 43 years (and I still remember reading about Dempsey's kick in two books I had as a kid, one pictured here). That tells me Wilson was AFRAID of what it would do to his image if he failed again, this time with the game on the line.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I think there was an ever so slightly “mental crack”

I think he thought the fans would cheer him and not boo him. I don’t think he expected it to get as loud as it did when he was on offense and between the boos and the loudness I think it mental screwed with him.

Even post game he almost said “go hawks” he mentally was broken imo. He had time to change, he had time to jersey swap and signed autographs, and still almost slipped up and say “go hawks” .. after months and days of say “let’s ride” .. like said mentally was broke. Broke by the Boos and broke that we wasn’t received as he felt he should’ve been.

In the end. My mentality is, You HELPED get us a SB, but over the yrs became the brand with your “why not me” bs, and now you’re a Bronco. Until your nothing and retired, Your not a player I root for. Avril, Lynch even Sherm. Guys retired or done I’ll still root for their success post NFL. I wasn’t there so I didn’t boo, I smiled like hell.

Hated hearing all the commentary from ESPN trying to compare (guilt fans for booing) Seattle/Russ breakup to NE/Brady and Payton/Indy… those were much much more graceful. Russ and his agent started a fire 4 yrs ago that had fans pissed when they had their “List” of teams he’d go to. But not only did he leave he left to our former division rival and still foe…. Denver.

Aircrew

Reaction score
On the last play, Hackett sent the play in. Russ got his guys lined up, and then stalled. Again... the play was in. The coaches mic is turned off at 15 seconds. Its not like they lined up and tried to get us to jump. What happened in that 15 seconds seems like it was Russ's call. Maybe he just didn't like the matchup, but I honestly wonder whether in the moment, Russ chose losing on his kickers leg rather than a failed 4th down play that would be entirely on him, and become the central image of the early debate in who won the trade. The dude is all about legacy. Him playing 'well' but the kicker missing is one thing. Russ coming up short on his own arm, after all the drama that he himself pumped into the game... that would have hurt.

Save the brand.
I just went back and rewatched the last sequence and I think you're onto something there. Be interesting to see if there are any sports journalists in Denver with a spine who'll call this out.

strohmin

Reaction score
Even the recent pro-Wilson media pieces (part of his ongoing media smear campaign against the Seahawks) have been saying that Wilson wanting out of the Seahawks was about "control," not money. And everyone seemed to agree that Wilson got the "control" he wanted from the Broncos.

If Wilson had wanted to try on 4th and 5, he had the "control" to be able to do it. Instead, he chose to let the kicker try a field goal that would have been tied for second-longest in NFL history if it had been good, and would have been a yard longer than the kick that held the record for 43 years (and I still remember reading about Dempsey's kick in two books I had as a kid, one pictured here). That tells me Wilson was AFRAID of what it would do to his image if he failed again, this time with the game on the line.

View attachment 54502
Exactlty, people forget the whole narrative of the entire offseason was that Russell wanted full control of the offense and the offensive decisions. So how does Hackett take all the blame? Sounds like Russ in Seattle all over again.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Leaving ‘The Brand’ aside for a minute, according to GMFB this morning, the Broncos kicker was 0 for 5 in kicks over 61 yards prior to the game and his 61 yard best was achieved at Mile High. So for the plan to be to get in position for a 64 yard attempt makes little or no sense.

Jac

Reaction score
The media is savaging Hackett right now, but Wilson called a play and lined up. If he didn't like the play call or what he saw, he could have called a timeout earlier. He totally froze in the moment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
The media is savaging Hackett right now, but Wilson called a play and lined up. If he didn't like the play call or what he saw, he could have called a timeout earlier. He totally froze in the moment.

It will all reveal itself in due time - what really happened on this play, the reality behind his relationship with teammates and the FO, the flaws in his game that he refuses to accept. The facade is slowly crumbling a bit.

And I sincerely hope that if it was his call to forego the play, he doesn't let his coach take the heat for it and fesses up. If not, their relationship will be strained from the jump. Hackett looked flustered and defensive / annoyed at his presser. Why exactly? Not sure.

Jac

Reaction score
It will all reveal itself in due time - what really happened on this play, the reality behind his relationship with teammates and the FO, the flaws in his game that he refuses to accept. The facade is slowly crumbling a bit.

And I sincerely hope that if it was his call to forego the play, he doesn't let his coach take the heat for it and fesses up. If not, their relationship will be strained from the jump. Hackett looked flustered and defensive / annoyed at his presser. Why exactly? Not sure.

The whole thing is just weird. I just have a hard time believing that's what Hackett wanted to do. He's a rookie head coach, but he's not THAT inexperienced. I'm sure he expected a play to be run...until it wasn't.

chrispy

Reaction score
I think there was an ever so slightly “mental crack”

I think he thought the fans would cheer him and not boo him. I don’t think he expected it to get as loud as it did when he was on offense and between the boos and the loudness I think it mental screwed with him.

Even post game he almost said “go hawks” he mentally was broken imo. He had time to change, he had time to jersey swap and signed autographs, and still almost slipped up and say “go hawks” .. after months and days of say “let’s ride” .. like said mentally was broke. Broke by the Boos and broke that we wasn’t received as he felt he should’ve been.
...and when he tried to quiet the crowd thinking Lumen was a home game. ...and the delay of game penalties. It could be as simple as him trying to read the D but Hackett called TO before another Delay penalty.

I think he'll bounce back. He always does because (in his mind) he's blameless. Broncos don't look like they will be competitive in AFCW however.

hoxrox

Reaction score
It's hard to believe Hackett took the ball out of Russ hands after all the articles in the offseason about them being "partners" instead of player-coach, and Hackett "letting Russ cook" in Denver.

Regardless Russ is a vet. He should have known to take a time out to talk about it. They were gashing us for 5+ yards on toss sweep plays all on night.

Fans got into his head and he choked in the moment.