I remember when the media was touting this defense as...

BamKam

Reaction score
"...new and improved."

I am assuming it was just a educated guess based on how bad the defense has been but when I kept hearing this I was baffled. Touting Desai and Hurtt like they were some big promotion/hires that everyone wanted and I was like who? Then all the armchair defensive coordinators would talk your ear off about how this 3-4 defense is this completely game changing type of defense. My guess was the defense would still be terrible. especially with Bobby gone and everyone was getting excited for nothing more than Norton being gone and inhaling massive amounts of copium. What I didn't realize is that it would be THIS bad. It is getting to the point where I find it more comical than it makes me upset.

The Broncos who are massively struggling on offense absolutely ripped us a new one but thankfully for 2 goal line turnovers and the most idiotic coaching blunder of all time we miraculously won.

We made Jimmy G look like prime Peyton Manning.

We made the Falcons look like Super Bowl Contenders.

The Lions looked like they were playing Madden on Rookie mode against us.

I have 0 confidence it will get any better from what I have seen. Part of it is lack of talent but most of it is just terrible coaching. It looks like guys are covered in Crisco when we try to tackle them. Players look like they have 0 clue where they need to be/their role. How long will Hurtt get before we pull the plug?

Last edited by a moderator:

morgulon1

Reaction score
Funny , the "experts" were talking about the defense and how it will improve and how poor the
offense will be with Geno Smith.

Those people know very little but continue to to talk. A lot.

Rat

Reaction score
Funny , the "experts" were talking about the defense and how it will improve and how poor the

This stuff is hard to predict; too many variables.

So, what should we talk about in the offseason then?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Talk is fine.

Pretending you (or anyone else) truly know anything is not.

White Devil

Reaction score
The defense is in early transition and I honestly believe a major problem is that the heart of the defense is currently sidelined.

Plenty of people on here hate the Jamal Adams trade and it hasn't exactly panned out, but there's no question that when Prez is on the field, there's a certain attitude he helps the team with. He is that fire. He is that loud talking beacon you need to crash your body into another man as hard as you can.

They have no leader on the defensive side besides Diggs, it seems to me.

Woolen may become a vocal leader, but right now he's just playing solid ball and focused on himself.

I'm surprised that Brooks hasn't filled the role, but maybe that's not who he is.
They need to find an identity. I think they will, and this is what has been the exciting part of this season for myself. Watching to see who steps up and snatches the leadership roles on the team.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Desai led a pretty stout and solid defense in Chicago. Hurtt.. is the unknown imo.

johnnyfever

Reaction score

By "those people", do you mean this entire forum, myself included? Maybe not everyone about the defense, but for sure about geno and the offense.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
By "those people", do you mean this entire forum, myself included? Maybe not everyone about the defense, but for sure about geno and the offense.
Well, I for one thought there was a chance our offense would look better and said it, so it wasn't everyone on that point, either. (I'm sure there were a couple of others too, so I don't sound like I'm overstating how smart I am).

I also have some hopes for the defense but losing Adams put a huge wrench in the plans and we lost a big piece of on-field leadership there.

EDIT: To be clear, I did NOT think we'd look like the team that dropped 41 offensive points yesterday. I don't think anybody could have predicted that.

chrispy

Reaction score
There was a Lockett Special Teams fumble/turnover and a fake punt first down early Sunday. The D had 2 stops and Special Teams put them right back on the field. For a really young/inexperienced group, that has to be frustrating. I wonder if those 2 stops on the first 2 drives stand, if the D continues to make stops throughout the game.... Maybe there's some responsibility on ST too....

m0ng0

Reaction score
I don't recall many saying the defense was going to be improved, there was hope that Wollen and Bryant would pan out, there was hope Adams would be healthy and a leader and there was hope Brooks and Taylor would thrive in the 3-4, there was hope Mafe as legit...ect...ect...ect

Somos doces

Reaction score
There was a Lockett Special Teams fumble/turnover and a fake punt first down early Sunday. The D had 2 stops and Special Teams put them right back on the field. For a really young/inexperienced group, that has to be frustrating. I wonder if those 2 stops on the first 2 drives stand, if the D continues to make stops throughout the game.... Maybe there's some responsibility on ST too....
Thank you for making this point. I had the same thought earlier today.

BASF

Reaction score
"...new and improved."

I am assuming it was just a educated guess based on how bad the defense has been but when I kept hearing this I was baffled.
I think the word educated there should be in quotes. After 40+ years of watching the Seahawks, I would say that maybe five writers in all that time had a true bead on the team. Most of the national "writers" know very little about the team and spew bs to get clicks.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
"...new and improved."

I am assuming it was just a educated guess based on how bad the defense has been but when I kept hearing this I was baffled.
In addition, I want to point that the defense last year was not that bad.

It was a bend but don't break defense. Was it anywhere close to the Legion of Boom? No, but it was very similar in quality to the defense the Rams had or the defense the Seahawks took to Super Bowl XL.

The difference between those two teams and our defense last year is that they had quality offenses that could sustain drives and limit the number of times their D had to go out on the field each game.

I understand why Pete thought a wholesale rethink was in order, but we were far worse as an offense than we were a defense but for some reason there were a lot of people who thought that couldn't be possible. Can't quite remember why that was, though. Something about a #3, I think?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle always improves its defense from the beginning of the year towards the end of the regular season. This time, by how much, I cannot say exactly.

Seattle is ranked towards the bottom right now on defense and will probably end up being around 22 on defense when it’s all said and done.

And improvement from around 29-32 but not any drastic amount that would call for celebrating.

The defense is tanking this year and the offense would be wise to follow in the defenses footsteps! (Just a joke, relax!)

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It's odd how the last 3 years the defense has be putrid to start the year. Though in the last few years they've managed to get it together and become serviceable. Hopefully That is what occurs this year too. It's just bizarre that they start so slow. Adams injury definitely played a part as the scheme change. I'm hopeful we'll start to see these idiotic mistakes cleaned up. They can't keep making boneheaded plays, right?

Latest posts