I dont understand Bevell...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seattle is calling screens excessively because they don't have the personnel or toolset to go downfield. It's pretty obvious that the playcalling is limited by what we have available.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ee71hsv said:
Seattle is calling screens excessively because they don't have the personnel or toolset to go downfield. It's pretty obvious that the playcalling is limited by what we have available.

I was actually okay with the screens for two reasons; one the numbers we're right, two it was setting up longer throws later on (could've).

I have no issues with those at all.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1kkhnkk2 said:
Recon_Hawk":1kkhnkk2 said:
My first post tried to address that. Basically, there's not enough talent and execution to play to our "strengths" because frankly we don't have a reliable offense right now to count on any strengths outside of Lynch.

What play call do you make if you can't have your QB stand in the pocket? Or if you have no redzone threat to throw to? Two rookie WRs learning the NFL game? Or if your starter center is out? Now were are talking about specific situations where the offense is really limited.

I'll take another look at the game when it's released on NFL rewind, but I'm guessing with each bad situational call there was a good play call in the same series that was just poorly executed. That was the theme of the game for me, outside of the defense.

I'll eagerly await your rewind review.

And, you're pretty much saying what I'm saying. When there's a key playcall, they don't try and drop back...traditionally.

I'm no Kearly, but I'll try posting my something within a couple days.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I've been noticing this with Bevell for awhile...if something is working he'll go away from it. It's like he's trying to okiedoke the defense and it's clearly not working
...and yes. Can't stand an empty backfield, especially in short yardage situations

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1uwqlrik said:
pehawk":1uwqlrik said:
Recon_Hawk":1uwqlrik said:
My first post tried to address that. Basically, there's not enough talent and execution to play to our "strengths" because frankly we don't have a reliable offense right now to count on any strengths outside of Lynch.

What play call do you make if you can't have your QB stand in the pocket? Or if you have no redzone threat to throw to? Two rookie WRs learning the NFL game? Or if your starter center is out? Now were are talking about specific situations where the offense is really limited.

I'll take another look at the game when it's released on NFL rewind, but I'm guessing with each bad situational call there was a good play call in the same series that was just poorly executed. That was the theme of the game for me, outside of the defense.

And, you're pretty much saying what I'm saying. When there's a key playcall, they don't try and drop back...traditionally.

Pfft, I think you're pretty damn smart poster, personally.

hawk45

Reaction score
Just don't understand the heavy use of empty sets still. I get that they have utility, they just don't seem like the best choice for us. That first drive we went empty set on 1st and 10 and 3rd and 2, two downs/distances where there is legit run threat. Just no words for that.

Red zone playcalling on first TD...1st and goal at the five so instead of rushing you use no less than 2 empty sets in the series, the final one as PE points out with routes drawn in crayon on a paper napkin. Russ and Doug go sandlot otherwise we come away empty.

The 4th and 1 run I give points for it being a run but with Unger out I question why run it up the gut with no lead blocker. Just seems to me like a FB makes sense and maybe an off-tackle run Lynch can bounce out also makes more sense than going straight at your weakness.

The final drive I felt like there was time to throw in a read/zone or a run or two. We started that drive with 2:47 on the clock. Instead we went empty set passing and the Chiefs predictable teed off.

I didn't understand the lack of PA in a game where we were running well. The one time we ran it Russell had like 8 seconds.

I don't mind the idea of screens but why can't we run them to Lynch? That works a lot, as opposed to WR screens which seem never to work.

Bevell wasn't the reason for the loss it just seems like he's on the negative side of the ledger as not helping many times, failing to recognize and adjust to our weaknesses or to game situations.

firebee

Reaction score
hawk45":yjo9n26e said:
Just don't understand the heavy use of empty sets still. I get that they have utility, they just don't seem like the best choice for us. That first drive we went empty set on 1st and 10 and 3rd and 2, two downs/distances where there is legit run threat. Just no words for that.

Red zone playcalling on first TD...1st and goal at the five so instead of rushing you use no less than 2 empty sets in the series, the final one as PE points out with routes drawn in crayon on a paper napkin. Russ and Doug go sandlot otherwise we come away empty.

The 4th and 1 run I give points for it being a run but with Unger out I question why run it up the gut with no lead blocker. Just seems to me like a FB makes sense and maybe an off-tackle run Lynch can bounce out also makes more sense than going straight at your weakness.

The final drive I felt like there was time to throw in a read/zone or a run or two. We started that drive with 2:47 on the clock. Instead we went empty set passing and the Chiefs predictable teed off.

I didn't understand the lack of PA in a game where we were running well. The one time we ran it Russell had like 8 seconds.

I don't mind the idea of screens but why can't we run them to Lynch? That works a lot, as opposed to WR screens which seem never to work.

Bevell wasn't the reason for the loss it just seems like he's on the negative side of the ledger as not helping many times, failing to recognize and adjust to our weaknesses or to game situations.

Bevell is the reason for the loss... This was one of the most horribly called games I've ever seen. That guy needs to go.
If he didn't have Wilson extending plays with his athleticism to complete passes and make positive plays out of garbage or have Lynch breaking multiple tackles to turn bad plays into positive plays, this would be the absolute worst offense in the NFL right now. The only reason Bevell has a job is because Russell Wilson and Lynch bail his crappy plays out with their ability to houdini a bad play. If Bevell was OC for the Broncos or Patriots, Brady or Manning would be on IR.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
pehawk":mx5y0zix said:
Recon_Hawk":mx5y0zix said:
pehawk":mx5y0zix said:
Recon_Hawk":mx5y0zix said:

Pfft, I think you're pretty damn smart poster, personally.

I appreciate it. Like wise, man.

keasley45

Reaction score
Largent80":vc1yog4s said:
We are short SO many players, that there comes a time that blaming coaches is rather ridiculous.

ummmmm, hmmmmm... its exactly for situations like this that a coach is brought in. he's supposed to find a way through scheme, planning, and situational playcalling to win with what he has. you dont get a pass because you're dinged up and half of your pro-bowlers are hurt. The Pats went to the AFC Championship game last year with an offense full of no-names (save for Brady and Gronk). We should be 9-2 at worst right now, but not for sub-NCAA level play calling on offense.

The thing that ticks me off the most is that all the signs were there last year. We got to and won our first SB because of a defense for the ages and at times, in spite of our O... and all we do to make the situation better in the last 9 months is trade our most dangerous player for a bag of peanuts because he probably couldnt help but openly express how much of a joke this offense is (RW and Beastmode aside).

I love Pete to death but the team is floundering because he chose to keep a highly questionable, but 'safe' playcaller in Bevell because he was comfortable with RW and Lynch making lemonade out of lemons. And now, Russ is getting the crap beat out of him on a weekly basis to the point he's starting to get skittish and all you see are signs that the team is cool with letting lynch walk.

If Bevell is our OC next year, the honeymoon with Pete is done. Dude needs to adapt, look at the ENTIRE team- offense, defense, players and coaches objectively and make some changes. And those changes should NOT include cutting one of the NFL's best RB's.

Bevell needs to go.

HawkerD

Reaction score
rjdriver":1jote7x8 said:
Honest Question

What about the fade to Moeaki? Wasn't that a similair play but to the other side?

How come we aren't pissed we didn't feed the beast on that play?

I tend to agree with Pe, but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

We should have run it. It worked but it isn't our strength.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Wasn't a great game and it went downhill after Unger went down. Do have to compensate.

Sure would be nice if Sweezy wouldn't get mauled by Poe on 2nd and 10. Or if we had a M.Rob wheel route/inside handoff on 4th and 1. Perfect storm of bad.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
rjdriver":1s7hyp1q said:
Honest Question

What about the fade to Moeaki? Wasn't that a similair play but to the other side?

How come we aren't pissed we didn't feed the beast on that play?

I tend to agree with Pe, but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

It wasn't a fade, he lobbed it over the defense.

xgeoff

Reaction score
pehawk":120zp5j0 said:
MontanaHawk05":120zp5j0 said:

I was actually okay with the screens for two reasons; one the numbers we're right, two it was setting up longer throws later on (could've).

I disagree with your assertion that the numbers were right for those screens. What I saw was that screens were called when the Chiefs were in tight bump and run coverage. That doesn't equate to good numbers and doesn't often equate to good gains.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
xgeoff":1i20tsak said:
pehawk":1i20tsak said:
MontanaHawk05":1i20tsak said:

I disagree with your assertion that the numbers were right for those screens. What I saw was that screens were called when the Chiefs were in tight bump and run coverage. That doesn't equate to good numbers and doesn't often equate to good gains.

Doesn't Russell need to be able to recognize that at the LOS and check out of it? Hot route? Something?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Bevell's redzone playcalls are quite questionable but it wasn't Bevell who dropped a sure td pass. If that pass was caught, the Seahawks win. I'm not a Bevell fan but a pro WR should have made that play, hell a high school WR should catch that type of pass, every time. Everyone knows how I feel about Bevell but can't blame this loss fully on him. Plenty of blame to go around.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":lohq3al5 said:
If I see another bubble screen Im going to vomit.

IT DOESNT WORK
Especially against Kansas City. Nobody runs screens against them because their strength is perimeter speed. You attack them in the middle.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3mxk35z5 said:
Hawk_Nation":3mxk35z5 said:
If I see another bubble screen Im going to vomit.

IT DOESNT WORK
Especially against Kansas City. Nobody runs screens against them because their strength is perimeter speed. You attack them in the middle.

Andrew Luck just threw a bubble screen to TY and the Pats sniffed it out and it didn't work.

Fire Bevell.

Geologic

Reaction score
I wouldn't be mad if Bevell and Tom Cable were let go at the end of the season

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":26uzr69t said:
Bubble screens should be used sparingly. They're good for about 7-8 yards. Just have to have the right personnel out there.
Which we don't have, but still keep running this low percentage play anyways.
I would trade OC's with the SC forty niners right now and I think that guy SUCKS!