I can’t believe professionals do that…

GemCity

Reaction score
Why try to pick up that punt? Even if he did, he would’ve been tackled immediately.

You land on that…

Unbelievable, at that level, this happens.

Wow.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I think the oddly shaped football is what makes the game so fun. You never know how it will bounce.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
I just caught the tail end. On the replay, I thought he had an angle to just jump on it.

But…gotta be honest, I didn’t get a great look at it.

Thanks guys.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Punts are extremely unpredictable in terms of velocity and bounce angle. It's hard to get the trajectory right to fall on it as the returner when it's bouncing at that level, so a lot of guys will try to remain on their feet and get after it in the heat of the moment. The fall would've been incredibly hard for the returner to line up properly.

Same reason I don't fault Cam for not falling on that ball in the Super Bowl. I don't think he was scared, I think he thought the ball was going to bounce back his direction.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
Punts are extremely unpredictable in terms of velocity and bounce angle. It's hard to get the trajectory right to fall on it as the returner when it's bouncing at that level, so a lot of guys will try to remain on their feet and get after it in the heat of the moment. The fall would've been incredibly hard for the returner to line up properly.

Same reason I don't fault Cam for not falling on that ball in the Super Bowl. I don't think he was scared, I think he thought the ball was going to bounce back his direction.
True and thanks Mael.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

At the time the ball is bouncing here, it appears that it's going to speed right past him. Bounces slow the ball severely, and by that point he's already arresting his momentum and trying to get after it laterally. By the time he gets a hand on it, he's committed to trying to gain control instead of falling down.

It's not ideal, but it's really rough to process this sort of thing.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
…..which does make me wonder why the teammate who’s foot it hit didn’t get out of the way.

Nitpicking here. Crazy thing to happen on the world’s stage.