I’m callin it, Brock Purdy is him

94Smith

Reaction score
So...there is a reason for that.

Robbie Gould last year said something he shouldn't, but its a key to what we saw on Sunday:

"If you make Jalen Hurts play QB, you're probably going to have a pretty solid day on defense".

He was laughed at and...lets be real...kickers probably shouldn't comment.

However, what he said is telling in the way the 49ers played him.

The 49ers mush rushed him. IE, they collapsed the pocket and didn't leave him room to escape. He had so much time because the DE's weren't trying to fly past him and were trying to keep him in front of them. Thats why they had a ludicrous number of pressures but only 3 sacks...and all three were by DTs who hadn't recorded on all season (Kinlaw) or EVER (Davis).

Said Nick Bosa:

“It was definitely an assignment-focused game,” said 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa. “We had to make Jalen focus on the rush instead of looking downfield and we knew that was the key to the game. So our whole mentality was: we’re not trying to set the record on sacks. We’re trying to close the pocket, we’re trying to get his eyes on us.”

THATS why Jalen had all day to throw....but its also why he didn't kill them throwing on the run or running downfield.

I'm sure Seattle will take note of this in a few weeks.
Yeah it was weird, especially for the 49ers. It will be interesting to see if teams take this approach going forward. It seemed like he could not find anyone open at all?

nanomoz

Reaction score
So...there is a reason for that.

Robbie Gould last year said something he shouldn't, but its a key to what we saw on Sunday:

"If you make Jalen Hurts play QB, you're probably going to have a pretty solid day on defense".

He was laughed at and...lets be real...kickers probably shouldn't comment.

However, what he said is telling in the way the 49ers played him.

The 49ers mush rushed him. IE, they collapsed the pocket and didn't leave him room to escape. He had so much time because the DE's weren't trying to fly past him and were trying to keep him in front of them. Thats why they had a ludicrous number of pressures but only 3 sacks...and all three were by DTs who hadn't recorded on all season (Kinlaw) or EVER (Davis).

Said Nick Bosa:

“It was definitely an assignment-focused game,” said 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa. “We had to make Jalen focus on the rush instead of looking downfield and we knew that was the key to the game. So our whole mentality was: we’re not trying to set the record on sacks. We’re trying to close the pocket, we’re trying to get his eyes on us.”

THATS why Jalen had all day to throw....but its also why he didn't kill them throwing on the run or running downfield.

Great post.

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
Yeah it was weird, especially for the 49ers. It will be interesting to see if teams take this approach going forward. It seemed like he could not find anyone open at all?
For a few seasons now one one the hardest thing to watch as a 49er Fan was to see the defensive linemen over-pursue and not hold the edges. Running QB's and opposing Offensive Coordinators knew how to counter that pass rush. And thats with screen passes and move the QB outside of the pocket.
Bosa 's comment was nice to see. Why it took so long to figure out is beyond me.

Steve Wilks for President!

LastRideOut

Reaction score

Seattle can take all the notes they want. As of right now, they don't have the personnel to do what the 49ers did. If it was that easy, every team would be playing the Eagles the way the 49ers did.

94Smith

Reaction score
Seattle can take all the notes they want. As of right now, they don't have the personnel to do what the 49ers did. If it was that easy, every team would be playing the Eagles the way the 49ers did.
They have more the personnel than the 49ers to do this. They have better secondary players. Just have to hold the edges and push your o lineman straight back. Don’t stunt and alllow the b gap to open

Ozzy

Reaction score
Purdy is a stud and it’s weird we’re still debating it 14 weeks into an mvp season. Seattle would be 3-4 wins better with Purdy

Reaction score
There's no excuse. It's just annoying that the 9ers lucked out on him after the Trey Lance debacle.

Since Purdy worked out I’m not upset about Trey. You win some, you lose some, but you always strike out on every swing you don’t take.

NoGain

Reaction score
Meanwhile, the Hawks haven't drafted a QB in like 12 years.

NoGain

Reaction score
Well you can always go after Cousin’s next. Geno ain’t it…
Too expensive, and we're not SB contenders yet. We need a potential QBOTF on a five year rookie contract, get our CAP in order, cut the dead weight, have another good draft or two.

NINEster

Reaction score
There's no excuse. It's just annoying that the 9ers lucked out on him after the Trey Lance debacle.

Trey Lance was a lot of misfortune.

Shanahan was willing to carry his entire franchise on Lance, and looking at the balls he had to do that with Purdy, imagine the balls to take a QB many didn't think was the guy over Garoppolo (a more surefire thing but no high ceiling)?

The injury against, guess who (of course, who else would it be), ended any semblance of a Niner career he would have, esp. once Purdy took off.

Big time draft investment, the "luck" was absolutely deserved.

GemCity

Reaction score
I knew this thread would resuscitate!

One game won’t define him.

I think Lamar ran away with the MVP votes tonight but…

Baltimore is the team to beat. They whomped us (Seahawks) pretty bad as well.

GemCity

Reaction score
No, no he is not. Nice 4 pick game tonight
I think Purdy is a helluva steal considering where they landed him.

He did play against a phenomenal defense tonight though!

I’d still take Geno 🤗.

knownone

Reaction score
Purdy is fortunate to play with such a talented supporting cast. He's a good QB. He's not an MVP-caliber QB without the guys around him.