How well has Reed been playing?

ARhawk

Reaction score
I havent really noticed him much this year other than a couple impressive plays early in the season. Has he been playing much or all that well?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
ARhawk":2m80e0sm said:
I havent really noticed him much this year other than a couple impressive plays early in the season. Has he been playing much or all that well?

I keep asking that question myself.

RussB

Reaction score
Same here lol. I cant really tell if hes been good or great and want to know. I havent really even noticed him the past few weeks at all to be honest.

getnasty

Reaction score
As a team our defense ranks 8th against the run which suggest Reeds been doing his job.

2_0_6

Reaction score
When the beef up front does their job, the LB's feast. Our LB's have been eating good all year, so yes he has been solid in his rookie year.

The biggest thing for me is that he has been able to stay healthy for the most part this year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He's been everything you could expect out of a rookie.

The good news is that his personality and work ethic indicate he's not happy with how well he did this year and wants to "dominate" next year.

I quoted dominate because you can look up a highlight mash of Reed's interviews. He says dominate about as much as Carroll says compete.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Considering he's a rookie replacing Mebane at a 1/3 of the cost. I think he's doing a helluva job. Should only get better.

McGruff

Reaction score
Quietly effective in terms of production. But he is bringing some nasty out there and regularly gets under the skin of his opponent. I don't think we've had his particular brand of dirty on the line in a long time.

Watch the fights. Reed is usually in the middle of them, but he rarely gets flagged.

Basis4day

Reaction score
A major part of his role is taking on double teams which allows other players to clean up and make plays.

He was advertised as a throwback run stuffing DT. It's a very unsexy position. Hes not a pass rusher.
Much of what he does won't show up on a stat sheet.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Basis4day":3dscj7ff said:
A major part of his role is taking on double teams which allows other players to clean up and make plays.

He was advertised as a throwback run stuffing DT. It's a very unsexy position. Hes not a pass rusher.

Very well said. Reed has played excellent this season. Those of us who have a DVR take time to individually watch him after a play. His skills are impressive for a rookie.

OP
OP
ARhawk

ARhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":1y2vrfz7 said:

I know he's not a pass rusher and he does a good job of taking on blocks, I guess I just expected more TFLs. I'll have to go back and watch him specifically some time

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
In this scheme, the value of the DL should manifest in the # of tackles made by your linebackers.

Wagner is on pace to break his franchise record for tackles. Wright is having his best year of his career tackles wise.

He's doing superb.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
He got his first start (I think) against the Rams last Thursday. Pete didn't just give him the starting spot, but made him earn it by beating out the veteran Tony McD which says something about how he's been playing

I felt early in the season he had a play or two every game where he played a little inconsistent (normal for a rookie), which is why I think Tony McD was named the starter, but even those games he flashed some serious talent. It was only a matter of time that he was given more snaps.

Personally, I think he's showed enough to believe he's a future key player to the defense, similar to KJ Wright where the position won't get the stats, but has a major impact on the defense and eventually gets his recognition.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":26es7fbj said:
He got his first start (I think) against the Rams last Thursday. Pete didn't just give him the starting spot, but made him earn it by beating out the veteran Tony McD which says something about how he's been playing

I felt early in the season he had a play or two every game where he played a little inconsistent (normal for a rookie), which is why I think Tony McD was named the starter, but even those games he flashed some serious talent. It was only a matter of time that he was given more snaps.

Personally, I think he's showed enough to believe he's a future key player to the defense, similar to KJ Wright where the position won't get the stats, but has a major impact on the defense and eventually gets his recognition.

Good point. Tony McDaniel has played well for us though. So has Ahtyba Rubin. Rubin played great last year and showed up this year again in spades. I'm guessing PC has marginally worked Reed in to ease any rookie pressure.

Wish Quinton Jefferson got to play more this year because he has shown real promise as well.