How Much Impact Will Tavon Austin Have for the Rams?

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Nah Percy Harvin is a proven pussy at least this kid has a chance.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Obviously very talented. I think he's got a high likelihood of being injured, though; and it's not because of his height. It's because of his build/physique, which plays a MUCH more important role in terms of physical protection on your body than height.

Tavon Austin has 2.52 lbs of weight per inch of height.
Sidney Rice, who is a somewhat tall and lanky WR, has 2.65.
Russell Wilson, the little short guy who can't see over anything, has 2.98.
Marshawn Lynch: 3.02.
Sam Bradford: 2.94.
Darren Sproles: 2.87.

If he stays healthy the entire year, he'll be a force for you guys.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Nice facts, iRo.

One of the things that impresses me the most about both Austin and Bailey is the attitude they bring. Bailey is not getting the media attention, but I almost think he might be the better asset after a year or two.

With SJax gone, and Fisher changing the dynamic of a losing team mentality to that of one who can and will win....I think the attitude brought by Austin is intangible. Tons of admiration for who he is and his work ethic. Him and Bailey both. Hope it rubs off on the shadier talent of Ogletree and Jenkins...

heyu123

Reaction score
This year? Very little. I could see him being a pain as he develops though.

I don't fear rookie WRs unless you're in the Fitz, AJ, Julio category. And Austin isn't that good.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
heyu123":2wsihnsp said:
This year? Very little. I could see him being a pain as he develops though.

I don't fear rookie WRs unless you're in the Fitz, AJ, Julio category. And Austin isn't that good.
This.

kearly

Reaction score
It really depends on how creative the Rams are on offense.

I don't really view Austin as a production machine, but more of a playmaker that will have step up huge in some games and disappear in others. The Seahawks have really struggled against ultra quick weapons the last few years, so I think he'll be a pain in our butts. He is a little like Harvin (a triple threat playmaker), with more of an emphasis on being elusive. Ironically, that could result in him being more durable that Harvin, who doesn't shy from contact at all.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
As kick returner he could be special immediately.
As a receiver? I think he will have a steep learning curve. Unlike college, his line and receivers can't get down field and start blocking before he has the ball on those wr screens.

Giedi

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":34q0qy7f said:
Obviously very talented. I think he's got a high likelihood of being injured, though; and it's not because of his height. It's because of his build/physique, which plays a MUCH more important role in terms of physical protection on your body than height.

Tavon Austin has 2.52 lbs of weight per inch of height.
Sidney Rice, who is a somewhat tall and lanky WR, has 2.65.
Russell Wilson, the little short guy who can't see over anything, has 2.98.
Marshawn Lynch: 3.02.
Sam Bradford: 2.94.
Darren Sproles: 2.87.

If he stays healthy the entire year, he'll be a force for you guys.
I agree. he is a talent, but clearly he's a possible serious injury waiting to happen. He seemingly can do everything and that is the one I'd be most concerned about -- is durability. He has everything else. We'll see - but there have been guys his size that have done well and have been durable despite their small stature. Anthony Carter comes to mind.

CPHawk

Reaction score
How much did he do before last year? Also for all his catches last year, he avg 8.9 yds a catch. StL should have just taken DAT next year, who's much better.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
HUGE impact...

...when BB or Kam run through him like a table saw cutting through balsa.

On a serious note, I don't see why he can't have a pretty nice (or even big) season. Whether that's defining his role and really growing with the team, getting the stats that msm/fans covet so much, or however else his success will be determined. He tore it up last year and started making a name for himself, maybe putting Geno Smith's season/stats into perspective (with the help of Bailey).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
volsunghawk":5qdiqgn9 said:
And isn't Brian Schottenheimer their OC? The guy who was the Jets OC for 5-6 years and never fielded much more than a middling offense?

You mean the guy that had an offense that carried horrible QB extraordinaire Mark Sanchez to two AFCCGs in his first two years? Yes, yes he is.

Football Outsiders offensive efficiency DVOA for Jets: 22nd in 2009, 16th in 2010. Not bad for Sanchez. I mean seriously, look at Sanchez's stats. He makes Bradford look like what a couple of our resident Rams fans think he is. Sanchez didn't even have a 55% completion rating in either of those years, and his rookie year he had 12 TDs to 20 ints, and in 2010 he had 17 TDs to 13 ints.

OP
OP
M

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions, guys. they really varied which is nice to see.

My opinion...

It wouldn't take much for him to improve our KR/PR position. We had a plethora of guys trying to fill the roles last year. A few off the top of my head are Jenkins, Pettis, Givens, Pead, and Richardson. None really did worth a darn. Surprisingly, Danny Ammendola has been our best returner the last couple seasons. We know that story.

Coincidently enough, Austin will be filling the role of Ammendola role this season. What did Ammendola do for us last season? Danny made his money running typically shorter routes where his elite quickness was lethal. In fact, he was our only pass catcher last season who could consistently get open. I don't think it's a stretch to say he was nearly uncoversble 1 on 1, but teams did take him away with when their scheme was right.

What really has me excited is Austin makes Ammendola look a little sluggish, his speed and quickness is nearly unmatched. If Ammendola could do what he did with his skill set, then Austin, in theory, will be able to do much more.

Here is the kicker, though. Who REALLY replaces Ammendola for the Rams? Jared Cook typically lines up in the slot, as well. At 6-5, 250 lbs, 4.49 40, and a 41" verticle, he could be as big of a match up nightmare as Austin. So when Austin and Cook are both on the field, the Rams can put Cook in the slot and line up Austin anywhere, including halfback. That is potentially a devastating formula for the Rams's opposition.

So, the options on offense with Austin and supporting cast are seemingly endless right now. Rams fans haven't been able to say that in nearly a decade. I hope this sheds light on our enthusiasm.

OP
OP
M

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3hu83738 said:
kearly":3hu83738 said:
It really depends on how creative the Rams are on offense.

And isn't Brian Schottenheimer their OC? The guy who was the Jets OC for 5-6 years and never fielded much more than a middling offense?

He had Sanchez in NY... Nuff said.

In STL, his really only consistent player was Jackson. Bradford had ups and downs. Ammendola had his ups and regular visits to the training staff.

Nothing compared to what he has to work with now.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Austin is a good pick by the Rams, they need playmakers. Many of us wanted him to fall to the Hawks.

If Long provides protection and the running game is decent, the Rams have a shot. Their D is strong.

Games will be close, Bradford will avoid TOs, maybe Austin is the catalyst to get that team going. But I am counting on the usual rookie learning scale/productivity.

The question is does Bradford step up with Austin and Long, or does losing his 3rd down blanket and Jackson make him take a step back?

/

OP
OP
M

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":3ihhfnvk said:
The question is does Bradford step up with Austin and Long, or does losing his 3rd down blanket and Jackson make him take a step back?

/

Interesting... VERY interesting. That's a question I can't fully answer and here's why...

I believe very strongly in Bradford and have few worries with him.

Austin isn't our only true weapon like Ammendola was. In fact, the whole offensive identity has changed. Jackson and Ammendola were part of an offense whose base set was pretty much the "power-I" formation, which included power runs up the middle and PA fakes. There are strong indications that the Rams base set is a more spread approach. This is based off the new personelle. Therefore I believe the better question is "Is this year's offense gonna gonna out produce last year's offense?" I believe "yes" is the resounding answer.

Not gonna lie, Long scares the hell out of me with his recent injury history. If he stays healthy, he'll play at a pro-bowl level once again. He's like our own Percy Harvin in a way. We signed him for 8.5 million a year instead of 10.5 million because of it. The Rams put him through an extensive physical that lasted a week before they gave the green light. I just hope they're right. I LOVE the signing, though. I wanted J.Long more than C.Long back in the day. I wished SO HARD we could get them both, somehow. It's like a dream that now we have them both. Just a tremendous feeling in general.

heyu123

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ymk6t6re said:
volsunghawk":ymk6t6re said:

You mean the guy that had an offense that carried horrible QB extraordinaire Mark Sanchez to two AFCCGs in his first two years? Yes, yes he is.

Football Outsiders offensive efficiency DVOA for Jets: 22nd in 2009, 16th in 2010. Not bad for Sanchez. I mean seriously, look at Sanchez's stats. He makes Bradford look like what a couple of our resident Rams fans think he is. Sanchez didn't even have a 55% completion rating in either of those years, and his rookie year he had 12 TDs to 20 ints, and in 2010 he had 17 TDs to 13 ints.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't his offense that carried them to the two AFCCG's. That was Rex and his defense.

Do I blame him for the jets terrible offense 100%? No, but his offenses were consistently dull and easy to defend. He had a tremendous running attack too in those years so he did have things to work with. 22nd and 16th is hardly impressive.