How important was Michael Crabtree for the 49ers Success

nsport

Reaction score
The Seattle DB crew was designed to take away the middle of the field for opponents - one of the best in the league just suffered a knee injury today and probably won't play next year (assume it's the longer term variety of injury).

Is that injury pivotal enough to make Seattle the overwhelming favorite to win the West now?

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure. The 9ers were pretty successful with Alex Smith running the team and Crabtree not having a huge season the year before. Their WR corp without him could remind you of BMW/Obo and others depending on how Boldin/Manningham/Williams/Jenkins and the rookies play out. Vernon Davis is a very good target with whom Kaep can get better rapport with.

They also could bring back Moss if they need a little depth. He probably is getting to a point where he isn't as dangerous as he was just a few years ago.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Alex Smith was 1 play away from going to the Super Bowl with the 49ers, and Crabtree was a small cog in that wheel. It sucks for the 49ers, but it's not as major of a blow as losing the #1 WR on the team would be for most of the other teams in the NFL.

drdiags

Reaction score
This was an interesting note though

Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch 48m

Targets in Colin Kaepernick’s 10 starts in 2012: 1. Michael Crabtree 94; T2. Vernon Davis 39, T2. Randy Moss 39. #49ers

sainthawk29

Reaction score
Those of us that have been critical of Kaepernick (like myself) have often pointed out that Kap struggles with his progression, and locks onto his first target. That target was in most cases Crabtree. This could be interesting.

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
I was talking to Mark about this - the "balance" on the field will certainly be skewed, which I think does not bode well for the 49ers. For example, assuming the pass/run ratios stay the same for them, the 94 targets to Crabtree will have to be split down into Vernon Davis and Anquan Boldin. Those are nice pieces, but bring entirely different value to the scheme of the offense. They NEVER passed to WR's in the Alex Smith scheme. But now that they have a capable QB, they can. So whoever steps up and replaces Crabtree will clearly be "less than" - so that means that we should have fewer moving parts to worry about on their offense.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He was Kaep's favorite go to guy by far and really came on when they made the QB change.

Alex Smith favored Vernon Davis a lot more.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
While its true the 49ers almost made it to the SuperBowl in 2011 without much production from Crabtree, his importance to the team has changed over the last 2 years.

Under Alex Smith, Vernon Davis was the go-to-guy. With Kaepernick it's mostly been Crabtree.

Id say this should make Seattle the majority favorites until its proven Kaep can utilize Davis fully and/or if one of their unknown receivers steps up.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
If VD is Kaep's go to guy, he may develop alligator arms early once he hears footsteps anywhere near him when they play us. :mrgreen:

nfcwizard

Reaction score
Its a big loss for the 9ers thats for sure, I sure was hoping that Sherman can shut his ass out again. BUT, we will be missng our sack leader (clemons) when playing them, so its a pretty even playing field. We will still Smash on the 9ers because now they they have a rookie safety, Wilson will take him apart.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The biased schedule makers will have more impact on getting the 9ers the division than the loss of Crabtree will have on stopping them.

JKent82

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1knwyap9 said:
The biased schedule makers will have more impact on getting the 9ers the division than the loss of Crabtree will have on stopping them.

We had a way better schedule last year, it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I don't think it'll hurt them too much, assuming the their younger WR's can contribute some, and Boldin doesn't act his age.

If SF didn't have a run game, or if Kaepernick was a statue it'd be a way bigger problem. The 94 targets is definitely interesting though, gonna have to adjust with that.

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
edit: I'd like to see both Hawks and Niners stay healthy and battle it out. Hope injuries aren't a recurring theme this year.

rlkats

Reaction score
One area that will suffer is in the run game. Crabtree was a great run blocker.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
rlkats":23dqzmwr said:
One area that will suffer is in the run game. Crabtree was a great run blocker.

This is very true.

Expect to see more TE routes with Vernon and Vance McDonald as well as more RB screens. But there's no two ways about it, this hurts. Hopefully he can make it back and we're still in the hunt.

jack_patera

Reaction score
injuries are a tough deal but they have been and always will be part of the game...that's why there's 53 players on the team...and why it's a team game...this isn't the first time a club's lost a key piece to injury and it won't be the last...adapt, overcome, improvise...that's the name of the game..

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I shudder when I remember the year (2008, I think?) where we had our top five or six receivers go down due to injury. It was freaking ridiculous.

kearly

Reaction score
Luckily for them they have Boldin who plays a similar type of role. They still have that running game too. I'd consider this setback for them a bigger deal than any of the bad things that have happened to our Seahawks over the last month, but I think they will weather it about as well as Minnesota did when they lost Harvin last year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":3isosbdw said:
but I think they will weather it about as well as Minnesota did when they lost Harvin last year.

For very different reasons, though. The 49ers don't have an HGH-pumped bionic man running the rock for them, they just have more skill in 3/4ths of the other positions on the field across the board as compared to the Vikings, lol.

Latest posts