Let's Get Holmgren In The Hall of Fame

Aircrew

Reaction score
Nice conspiracy theory, but there's one little problem: No one associated with the league office votes on HOF candidates:

"The (HOF) Committee consists of one media representative from each pro football city — with two from New York and two from Los Angeles, as those cities each have two teams in the National Football League. There are 16 at-large Selectors, who are active members of the media or persons intricately involved in professional football, including one representative of the Pro Football Writers of America. All appointments are open-ended and approved annually by a majority vote of the Hall of Fame's Board of Trustees."

I'm not big into individual awards and honors for players and coaches as I'm more of a team orientated fan. But I will say that if Tom Flores is a HOF worthy coach, certainly Mike Holmgren is as well.
Right, because the reach of a multi-billion dollar organization's main office could in no way influence anyone who casts a vote:rolleyes:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Right, because the reach of a multi-billion dollar organization's main office could in no way influence anyone who casts a vote:rolleyes:
Yup. Those sports writers all must have Swiss bank accounts that the organization's main office pays them hundreds of thousands of dollars to vote for the candidates of their choice. And, of course, they'll be in trouble with the mafia if they dare go public with this conspiracy, so everyone zips their lips.

Sorry, man, but there's 80 members of the committee who vote on HOF candidates. It would take one helluva lot of money and arm twisting, all that has to be done on the QT, for the NFL offices to influence HOF balloting. Your theory doesn't hold water.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Yup. Those sports writers all must have Swiss bank accounts that the organization's main office pays them hundreds of thousands of dollars to vote for the candidates of their choice. And, of course, they'll be in trouble with the mafia if they dare go public with this conspiracy, so everyone zips their lips.

Sorry, man, but there's 80 members of the committee who vote on HOF candidates. It would take one helluva lot of money and arm twisting, all that has to be done on the QT, for the NFL offices to influence HOF balloting. Your theory doesn't hold water.
Agreed. And it's a hella risk to take for what? Getting the guys in the FO wants (assuming they all think alike)? Most diabolical plans have a financial gain associated for the risk involved. I see no financial gain for the NFL FO to interfere here. However, the risk of getting popped would put a dark cloud over the game to an already suspect audience, with refs and all.

Just don't see it. Like anything else...people offer lots of opinions, but until there are facts...it's just speculation. So many people willing to eat the bait freely.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Agreed. And it's a hella risk to take for what? Getting the guys in the FO wants (assuming they all think alike)? Most diabolical plans have a financial gain associated for the risk involved. I see no financial gain for the NFL FO to interfere here. However, the risk of getting popped would put a dark cloud over the game to an already suspect audience, with refs and all.

Just don't see it. Like anything else...people offer lots of opinions, but until there are facts...it's just speculation. So many people willing to eat the bait freely.
There are biases within the committee as they are no different than any other fan. It's the only way to explain why it took them so long to admit Terrell Owens. A lot of people didn't like his antics, sportswriters included.

But it's ludicrous to believe that Roger Goodell is behind the curtains throwing switches and pulling levers making sure that Player X gets in and Player Y doesn't.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
There are biases within the committee as they are no different than any other fan. It's the only way to explain why it took them so long to admit Terrell Owens. A lot of people didn't like his antics, sportswriters included.

But it's ludicrous to believe that Roger Goodell is behind the curtains throwing switches and pulling levers making sure that Player X gets in and Player Y doesn't.
Of course. We all have biases/influences and more people than not allow them to sway their judgments...even when they aren't supposed to.

I just don't see how the FO could sway that pool of voters or even why they would try. Personal Vendetta < League Reputation.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Of course. We all have biases/influences and more people than not allow them to sway their judgments...even when they aren't supposed to.

I just don't see how the FO could sway that pool of voters or even why they would try. Personal Vendetta < League Reputation.
You're preaching to the choir. I agree with you.

Although the HOF committee has some unavoidable biases...I personally think that Cowboys players get an unfair advantage....they've done as much as they can to ensure its objectivity by giving an equal number of votes to journalist from each NFL city.