How about some love for Jacob Martin?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Another late round gem in the making (6th) to join with Chris Carson and David Moore?

Dude is starting to show up more and more every week. He looks like he has potential to be disruptive.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Martin led the team with four QB hurries against Detroit on just 18 pass rushing snaps, playing the LEO position in the nickel defense on 3rd downs.

That was a really nice draft pick by Schneider and Co. He has traits similar to Cliff Avril.

Dion Jordan also came back with a bang: three QB hurries and four total pressures on 22 passing snaps.

And Carroll just said that Rasheem Green has a good shot to play on Sunday vs. the Chargers. Pass rush has been better than many expected.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3dbe6i9m said:
Martin led the team with four QB hurries against Detroit on just 18 pass rushing snaps, playing the LEO position in the nickel defense on 3rd downs.

That was a really nice draft pick by Schneider and Co. He has traits similar to Cliff Avril.

Dion Jordan also came back with a bang: three QB hurries and four total pressures on 22 passing snaps.

And Carroll just said that Rasheem Green has a good shot to play on Sunday vs. the Chargers. Pass rush has been better than many expected.

That's good news on Green, although I am a little worried he was a pre-season flash in the pan type.

Jordan has been non-existent, mainly because of health. Good to see him out there and making a few plays yesterday.

Reed is giving us good interior pressure. Hopefully, Ford will develop there too.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Outside of Clark and Reed, it still feels like a lot of pressures and hits and not a lot of getting home. But it could still be a promising group. This secondary is certainly giving them the time they need - there was plenty of Stafford standing around in the pocket not knowing what to do yesterday.

Martin's definitely been the loudest amongst the "still developing" crowd.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":10779u5h said:
Outside of Clark and Reed, it still feels like a lot of pressures and hits and not a lot of getting home. But it could still be a promising group. This secondary is certainly giving them the time they need - there was plenty of Stafford standing around in the pocket not knowing what to do yesterday.

Yes. They are "almost there" most of the time.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Shamar Stephen had some awesome plays too.

But back to your topic, Martin has an excellent first step explosiveness off the ball and an attacking mentality. His hand fighting is way ahead of a lot of rookies. Very excited about his potential.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Jacob Martin is going to be beast in the future.

Physically, he looks on par with NFL standards and it usually takes a season or two really develop into the NFL. So I think in that aspect he’s ahead of the curve.

And the two times I’ve heard him speak, he seems like a well-mannered, intelligent individual who understands the importance of communication both on and on the field. Some players just don’t know how to process feedback and it holds them back. Or they can’t stay in their own lane within the scheme and it holds them back. I think he’s going to be a guy that is just going to continue to get better and better with more and more experience. He may never be a overwhelming dominant force but a consistently more than solid player with few weaknesses doesn’t seem out of question.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
I am glad that they aren't rushing Rasheem Green. I still think he will become a D-line force. I also think that Jacob Martin is already exceeding expectations! I think this draft will be our best draft since 2012!

sc85sis

Reaction score
Rasheem may run a bit hot and cold until he fully develops. He’s got tons of potential though.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Is Naz Jones dead? That guy was a force before he got hurt last season. He would also tip passes all the time

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I think it says a lot that they still wanted him on the field even though KJ came back. Guy has been having a great rookie season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Seemed pretty premature to hear how "horrible" this draft was. Even though quite a few of the players are contributing and will continue to contribute. Dickson, Flowers, Griffin, Dissly, Green and Martin will all be good picks. And that doesn't even include the O Lineman that got injured, hopefully he'll turn out as well.

I don't know, looks like a solid draft to me.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
sdog1981":16iq3w13 said:
Is Naz Jones dead? That guy was a force before he got hurt last season. He would also tip passes all the time

Been wondering about him too.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
sdog1981":1kd9o6mj said:

I think Naz and Poona are alternating being on the roster based on whether we are more worried about the pass or the rush. Poona is a solid run stuffer and Naz has more pass rush upside.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seems to me that Naz is a casualty of Seattle acquiring so many projects for the DL in the last couple years. Just got buried.

sdog1981

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":35jhsv5e said:
Seems to me that Naz is a casualty of Seattle acquiring so many projects for the DL in the last couple years. Just got buried.

A good problem to have.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2tnwmgbl said:
MontanaHawk05":2tnwmgbl said:

Yes. They are "almost there" most of the time.

This is still very good production.

It's not manifest in sacks. But it definitely fits the whole philosophy of the defense. Almost getting there means not attempting bigger passes and resulting in better scoring defense.

Take our pass defense. It's pretty good. Currently, we are holding QBs to the third lowest rating in the league.

Yet we're the 12th worst in terms of completion percentage. We're allowing a lot of passes to be completed. But they are all high percentage, short passes. We are middle of the pack in sacks so yes, we're not getting home. But QBs are avoiding sacks by attempting lower impact passes.

Pressures tend to be the mother's milk of that kind of phenomenon. Hurries have a cumulative impact on the defense as a whole and we're seeing that. And in fact hurries are a much more predictive metric for future performance than sacks which are often mercurial and come in bunches.

At this point, with these guys -- hurries should be seen as promising. Not all of them will transition their game from consistent hurries to hurries + sacks. But odds are one or two might well do so by the beginning of next year.