Hot Take: Seahawks Offense Will Be Top 5 In 2024

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
All the pundits have us 3rd or 4th in the division for the most part. I suspect this is not true, but we get the usual disrespect and we are a true unknown with a whole new scheme and coaching staff.

I've even heard many say we're a clear 4th in division and that AZ will be better than us.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
This.

I like everything that I'm hearing about 'pushing the ball down the field' because that's the kind of fun stuff you want to see out of an offense... but that wasn't our problem last year, so there is only so much growing you can do there without fixing our real issue.

We were not a 'bad' offense last year. We were actually 12th in both yards and points per drive, 11th in scoring %, and 4th in turnover percentage--all above average to quite good.

But we were 22nd in number of plays per drive and 25th in average clock because we couldn't run the ball regularly to save our lives. Shane Waldron might still be here if he had ever figured out how to scheme himself a few reliable ways to get 3 or 4 yards with our RBs. But he couldn't.

If we ran the ball early in a drive, we almost always would become one dimensional because we could never stay ahead of the sticks. We couldn't reliably run the clock out. We couldn't extend drives on 3rd and short to medium. Geno is a very good play action passer (top 10 last year in yards per pass attempt out of play action, #1 for any QB who had 100 or more such attempts)--imagine what we could do with that if we actually had a running game?

So, I'm excited to hear about how good JSN looks in practice and how Macdonald really wants to get DK involved but I need to hear more about the offensive line creating running lanes for Walker and Charbs before I'll really start to feel hyped. (Well, somewhat... I'm sure I'll talk myself into how we're going to win the division somewhere between now and the start of the season as per usual.)
I don’t disagree with you at all, but a defense that didn’t give up 10 to 15 yards, seemingly whenever the opposing offense asked for it, would have made some of those stats look a lot better.

Amazing how much better an offense looks with an extra drive or two per game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They absolutely have the talent to be top 5. Still a little concerned about the O Line, at least until mid-season when they start clicking.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I k ow I’m a little tougher on Geno than many in here but I think this offense taking off and being top 5 could easily happen. The pieces are there, the coaching is better and you have some ascending players like JSN.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Perhaps TE (as mentioned above), but Dissly and Parkinson only made about 10 plays all year so....
Honestly, I’ll miss both. Not Dissly’s salary though. Parkinson’s made some awesome clutch receiving plays in his time here.

We could still be equal with the players brought in and have our best receiving threat under contract, so no worry at this point.

MORGULON

Reaction score
Top 5? No.

The starting QB is solid but he's not a difference maker. The RBs are flawed. The O-Line looks weaker than at the start of 2023. There is less quality at TE.

I think the offense will look top 16 early on but the weaknesses and lack of depth could drop the offense out of the top 16 for the last few weeks of the season.
Damn

That's a pretty detailed description.

flv2

Reaction score
Damn

That's a pretty detailed description.
It's incumbent on non-Seahawks fans to post reasons for non-positive posts. I like what the Seahawks have done this offseason with limited Draft picks and cap restraints. On paper the Seahawks offense is good, but it's not ahead of the 49ers, Rams, Lions, Cowboys, or Eagles in the NFC. If they stay healthy and get unexpected production out of the unknown players it could be a really good offense, but that's not the norm.

BASF

Reaction score
It's incumbent on non-Seahawks fans to post reasons for non-positive posts. I like what the Seahawks have done this offseason with limited Draft picks and cap restraints. On paper the Seahawks offense is good, but it's not ahead of the 49ers, Rams, Lions, Cowboys, or Eagles in the NFC. If they stay healthy and get unexpected production out of the unknown players it could be a really good offense, but that's not the norm.
I am actually very interested in how the Eagles do this season offensively. Their last half of the season certainly seemed like their offense had been figured out by the league and their offensive coordinator had no idea how to adjust. Bringing in an O-Coordinator that their primary rival fired often does not turn out well.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think if Geno can be what he was in the first half of his first year starting then this team has a chance to be in that range. You easily have enough weapons, you have some draft capital on the line and you have a veteran QB who, while I'm slightly lower than most on, has shown he can play at a really high level. It will be interesting to see how they adapt to the new offense. Sometimes it takes time and sometimes teams can hit the ground running. Talent wise I think they have it though.

MORGULON

Reaction score
Got it.

I agree that the teams you listed have offenses that are presently better than Seattle's. But IMHO they aren't too far behind.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Yes I know hot takes can melt like a hot tub at noon on the 4th of July but the heck with it.

From everything I have been reading so far, I have a really good feeling our offense is going to be a giant pain in the ass to our opponents this year. I mean a big big problem.

“It’s looking explosive,” Smith-Njigba said. “I love it so far. … A lot of motions, a lot of just putting us in the right position to make plays. We’re rocking and rolling right now.”

“He’s kind of moving everybody around,” Bobo said of Grubb, “so you’re gonna see 14 in spots you didn’t necessarily see him last year. You’re gonna see Jax and Lock in spots you didn’t see last year, so it’s gonna be a lot of fun.”

“To be honest with you, it’s all brand new,” Bobo said. “It’s all terminology changes, but at the end of the day, everybody kind of runs the same scheme. Now what’s different about Coach G is he likes to mix it up a little bit and throw in a bunch of wrinkles that in a regular offense would just be considered just that: wrinkles. But they’re kind of part of our base installs right now, so we’ve got a lot in. There’s a lot going on, but when it comes together, and it’s starting to right now, it’s gonna be really fun to watch.”

“Every offense that I’ve played in from Schotty (Brian Schottenheimer) to Shane (Waldron) to now, they all have their unique variations, but I like the way Grubb’s offense is very explosive and he tries to push the ball downfield,” Metcalf said.

I don’t really think coaching was our main problem (although it did rear its head as well). Our issues on offensive can be traced to the offensive line. I’m not convinced that we have that fixed. It’s something that I need to see happen before I can believe it. Our skill positions have more than enough talent to be top 5 in the league. Let’s all hope the line can do their part.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
I don’t really think coaching was our main problem (although it did rear its head as well). Our issues on offensive can be traced to the offensive line. I’m not convinced that we have that fixed. It’s something that I need to see happen before I can believe it. Our skill positions have more than enough talent to be top 5 in the league. Let’s all hope the line can do their part.
I'm no football savant - but if I could tell what we were going to run fairly regularly in a given game - I'm pretty sure the opposing D could too.

I'm sure what we able to run was influenced by our weakness on O-line - but we were predictable. Regularly.

chris98251

Reaction score
The offense success will all depend on a drastic improvement from the offensive line
Maybe, but a good defense gives them the ball on short fields helps a lot as well, playing catch up is playing into the hands of the opposing team most times. Not having to be predictable and know they are throwing to catch up or have a lead means that the O line can control more.