Hot Take: Seahawks Offense Will Be Top 5 In 2024

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes I know hot takes can melt like a hot tub at noon on the 4th of July but the heck with it.

From everything I have been reading so far, I have a really good feeling our offense is going to be a giant pain in the ass to our opponents this year. I mean a big big problem.

“It’s looking explosive,” Smith-Njigba said. “I love it so far. … A lot of motions, a lot of just putting us in the right position to make plays. We’re rocking and rolling right now.”

“He’s kind of moving everybody around,” Bobo said of Grubb, “so you’re gonna see 14 in spots you didn’t necessarily see him last year. You’re gonna see Jax and Lock in spots you didn’t see last year, so it’s gonna be a lot of fun.”

“To be honest with you, it’s all brand new,” Bobo said. “It’s all terminology changes, but at the end of the day, everybody kind of runs the same scheme. Now what’s different about Coach G is he likes to mix it up a little bit and throw in a bunch of wrinkles that in a regular offense would just be considered just that: wrinkles. But they’re kind of part of our base installs right now, so we’ve got a lot in. There’s a lot going on, but when it comes together, and it’s starting to right now, it’s gonna be really fun to watch.”

“Every offense that I’ve played in from Schotty (Brian Schottenheimer) to Shane (Waldron) to now, they all have their unique variations, but I like the way Grubb’s offense is very explosive and he tries to push the ball downfield,” Metcalf said.

Aircrew

Reaction score
I have a funny feeling we're going to be quite a bit better on offense than most are predicting, even our own fans. I think it's going to depend on our offensive line being strong, both in pass pro and run blocking, in order for it all to click. I know, ground breaking insight from yours truly, but the O line is the biggest question mark as I see it.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't put much stock into the offseason fluff stuff. Every team thinks they're going to be much improved every year.

The talent is there though. I'm not saying Top 5, but health permitting, there's potential for an excellent season on that side of the ball.

GemCity

Reaction score
Man…this would be awesome. Maybe a big of blind faith here but, I can see us cracking the top 7 O-wise.

One average, where is the weakness with our skilled players? I’m not going to get in back and forths about Geno. He’s solid. Regardless of what people ‘feel’, he has been great for us.

Walker? Check. Pound the ball? Charb…check. Must be weak in the receiving group…?? Oh hell naw…

Maybe a question mark for those who don’t pay attention - TE. Noah Fant is a baller.

Obviously, the line has to be popping. But the Hawks 100 % have the damn talent in the skilled slots.

chrispy

Reaction score
I don't think there's an offensive position where '24 Hawks aren't better than '23. Perhaps TE (as mentioned above), but Dissly and Parkinson only made about 10 plays all year so.... Maybe on D, LB group but maybe not too. Then add the changes in scheme and accountability/discipline, ...or just call it coaching. To me, it seems like this should be a step-change improvement kind of year as opposed to incremental. ...on both sides of the ball. Maybe that's a baby step, but it definitely has a chance to big a big giant step.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
It's not a crazy prediction. DVOA-wise, they were top 5-10 for most of the first half of last season. If we're going to make any noise in the playoffs next year, the offense is probably doing the heavy lifting.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Yes I know hot takes can melt like a hot tub at noon on the 4th of July but the heck with it.

From everything I have been reading so far, I have a really good feeling our offense is going to be a giant pain in the ass to our opponents this year. I mean a big big problem.

“It’s looking explosive,” Smith-Njigba said. “I love it so far. … A lot of motions, a lot of just putting us in the right position to make plays. We’re rocking and rolling right now.”

“He’s kind of moving everybody around,” Bobo said of Grubb, “so you’re gonna see 14 in spots you didn’t necessarily see him last year. You’re gonna see Jax and Lock in spots you didn’t see last year, so it’s gonna be a lot of fun.”

“To be honest with you, it’s all brand new,” Bobo said. “It’s all terminology changes, but at the end of the day, everybody kind of runs the same scheme. Now what’s different about Coach G is he likes to mix it up a little bit and throw in a bunch of wrinkles that in a regular offense would just be considered just that: wrinkles. But they’re kind of part of our base installs right now, so we’ve got a lot in. There’s a lot going on, but when it comes together, and it’s starting to right now, it’s gonna be really fun to watch.”

“Every offense that I’ve played in from Schotty (Brian Schottenheimer) to Shane (Waldron) to now, they all have their unique variations, but I like the way Grubb’s offense is very explosive and he tries to push the ball downfield,” Metcalf said.
The D will be the same way - opponents will have no idea where the next assault will come from.

Torc

Reaction score

"I can tell you this: We want to get DK the ball a lot, too," Macdonald told NFL Media. "It feels different now when 14 is out there. He is a big, imposing, fast, powerful receiver. We're really excited about it. We've talked about it since we got here in February -- plans for him and Tyler [Lockett] and Jaxon [Smith-Njigba] and Noah [Fant] and our backs. And what it would look like and how we can move guys around and make DK a moving target for defenses, where they have to account for him at all times but it's gonna be hard to find him."

Yep, our defensive minded head coach has expectations for his offense, probably because he had to gameplan against DK. Grubb is going to be actively looking for mismatches.

olyfan63

Reaction score

Yep, our defensive minded head coach has expectations for his offense, probably because he had to gameplan against DK. Grubb is going to be actively looking for mismatches.
Meh, I miss the "impose our will on the defense" approach. Bring back Bevell and Schotty!
/Sarcasm

Should be fun to watch both sides this year. Pete had good schemes and hungry players during the glory years, but I really like MMac's approach that emphasizes moving players around to confuse the opponent and get favorable matchups, on BOTH sides of the ball.

Chawker

Reaction score
I think that top 5 is a bit of a stretch for me personally, realistically top 10, if we stay healthy is more like it. Offensively!

Now if our defense could reach the same level, we'd have something too cheer about.

WarHawks

Reaction score
This is certainly encouraging. If the new scheme helps, if the run game gets going, and if Geno can avoid those stretches of going three quarters without scoring, it should be much improved. Time will tell.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
All depends if the running game can be consistent behind that Oline.
This.

I like everything that I'm hearing about 'pushing the ball down the field' because that's the kind of fun stuff you want to see out of an offense... but that wasn't our problem last year, so there is only so much growing you can do there without fixing our real issue.

We were not a 'bad' offense last year. We were actually 12th in both yards and points per drive, 11th in scoring %, and 4th in turnover percentage--all above average to quite good.

But we were 22nd in number of plays per drive and 25th in average clock because we couldn't run the ball regularly to save our lives. Shane Waldron might still be here if he had ever figured out how to scheme himself a few reliable ways to get 3 or 4 yards with our RBs. But he couldn't.

If we ran the ball early in a drive, we almost always would become one dimensional because we could never stay ahead of the sticks. We couldn't reliably run the clock out. We couldn't extend drives on 3rd and short to medium. Geno is a very good play action passer (top 10 last year in yards per pass attempt out of play action, #1 for any QB who had 100 or more such attempts)--imagine what we could do with that if we actually had a running game?

So, I'm excited to hear about how good JSN looks in practice and how Macdonald really wants to get DK involved but I need to hear more about the offensive line creating running lanes for Walker and Charbs before I'll really start to feel hyped. (Well, somewhat... I'm sure I'll talk myself into how we're going to win the division somewhere between now and the start of the season as per usual.)

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I also believe it all boils down to the offensive line. WR room is great, RB room is great, TE's are good enough and a lot lessor QB's have had huge success with great supporting casts. I think our o-line has a lot of questions still, I really don't see them being dominant. I am hoping they are at least average as a group.

flv2

Reaction score
Top 5? No.

The starting QB is solid but he's not a difference maker. The RBs are flawed. The O-Line looks weaker than at the start of 2023. There is less quality at TE.

I think the offense will look top 16 early on but the weaknesses and lack of depth could drop the offense out of the top 16 for the last few weeks of the season.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Remember Differ with the Ravens and that 99 Ravens team that won the SB. Dilfer was trash and I don't care what anyone says.
I agree there have been times where a team has won a Super Bowl without a great QB but with a great Defense. I am not sure the rules really allow for that anymore. I just want to win even if Geno proves me wrong but at this point I am not too worried about that. I would rather win in the playoffs than to be right on any opinions here.