Help! I'm confused re: the OPI on Kearse

mikeak

Reaction score
ivotuk":4wnw93p1 said:
He needs to throw a little acting in there, reaching back like the ball is coming to him.

I think it was a weak call, but we know how the referees call games against the Seahawks, so players need to act Convincing.

RemEmber all the 15 yard penalties against Sydney Rice for spinning the ball like a top? I saw one by Leveon Bell in the end zone, in the middle of defenders, another in highlights, and at least one in the Redskins game. Such BS

Rice did it towards the referee. That is why it was called

baumer64

Reaction score
I thought Kearse played it perfectly. He came off the line and turned like a hook pattern and just stood there. The defender ran into him after Kearse had turned, stopped and was looking back at Russell. No he didn't have his hands up. How many receivers do before the ball gets to them? It was a play intended to be a pick but Kearse didn't initiate contact and didn't do a booking motion. I feel it was a BS call.

potatohead

Reaction score
It was much less of an OPI than the no calls the Saints had against us

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":152mkc47 said:
ivotuk":152mkc47 said:
He needs to throw a little acting in there, reaching back like the ball is coming to him.

I think it was a weak call, but we know how the referees call games against the Seahawks, so players need to act Convincing.

RemEmber all the 15 yard penalties against Sydney Rice for spinning the ball like a top? I saw one by Leveon Bell in the end zone, in the middle of defenders, another in highlights, and at least one in the Redskins game. Such BS

15 yards for taunting...... a Ref.....What kind of an asshole would attack the EGO of a defenseless Referee.
Rice didn't intentionally Spike or Spin it AT the Referee, the Ref just happened to be positioned & poised to use his power over Rice, it was a 15 yard retaliation.

mikeak

Reaction score
scutterhawk":294d2mey said:
mikeak":294d2mey said:
ivotuk":294d2mey said:

15 yards for taunting...... a Ref.....What kind of an asshole would attack the EGO of a defenseless Referee.
Rice didn't intentionally Spike or Spin it AT the Referee, the Ref just happened to be positioned & poised to use his power over Rice, it was a 15 yard retaliation.

You can call it what you want and put whatever value on it but the reason it could be penalized was simply because the ball went towards the referee.

I believe it was accidental but it still happened so by the rules it was an ok penalty.

DurtyHawk

Reaction score
Although I agree it was a lame call....I feel Kearse needs to sell it more and look like he might be getting the ball to alleviate this in the future. Throw your hands up instead of standing there. Just my .2 cents

xgeoff

Reaction score
I've said this before, the officials hate Jermaine Kearse. I don't usually buy into conspiracy theories, but I have seen call after call after call go against this guy, most of them without any merit whatsoever. I don't know what he did to piss these guys off, but they hate him and are calling the games accordingly.

mirrikat45

Reaction score
mikeak":1lf1587v said:
ivotuk":1lf1587v said:

I think it was a "Point of emphasis" that year, and that's why they called it. Now that it's not such a big deal, they let a lot of it slide.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
renofox":9yv4pwew said:
I no longer have TIVO but several posters have said Kearse didn't touch the other player and I'm pretty sure I remember Kearse stopping his 'route' and looking back at the QB without initiating any contact.

Checked a few articles discussing the OPI rule and the 2016 NFL Rulebook (http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...ticle-4.-other-prohibited-acts-by-the-offense) and everything seems to say that it is only OPI if:

"Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference."

or

"Cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him, without playing the ball."

Can anybody clarify this for me? Am i missing something?

It just seems that it was a really weird call and I've never seen anything so ticky-tack called in any game I've ever watched. Instead I've seen all kinds of "receiver levels the defender" type plays not called OPI.

I don't get it.

Not sure what is confusing pretty easy call, like Sims said should have acted like he was to catch the ball. Kearse really needs to get his stuff together or he should be riding the bench.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
ivotuk":ef92w7f0 said:

THIS!

The OPI was totally on Kearse, and by that, I mean he failed to do his job right thus causing the ref to have to throw the flag. Kearse has been a professional WAY too long to not understand the nuances here!

Pick plays are A NO NO! The refs have made it very clear that the receiver MUST be a potential pass catching target! So, how do you run interference (set a pick) 'legally'? YOU DON'T! Instead, you run to the necessary depth to be in the way of the defender, turn, and put your frikkin hands up like you might be receiving a pass!

Seriously, don't leave it to the refs to interpret whether you're a receiver or blocker. Just do your job right! :smilie=angry016.gif:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2hxlvz5s said:
"It had the elements of a pick play." - NFL officials tomorrow.
Ah, 'all the elements.' The Locklear Rule.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
xgeoff":1smddi15 said:
I've said this before, the officials hate Jermaine Kearse. I don't usually buy into conspiracy theories, but I have seen call after call after call go against this guy, most of them without any merit whatsoever. I don't know what he did to piss these guys off, but they hate him and are calling the games accordingly.
9er fan refs.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Need to bring in some screen acting coach. I recommend Chris Pratt or Patrick Stewart.

patrick-stewart-seahawks-wil-wheaton-star-trek-super-bowl-twitter.jpg

Sir Pat's ready to start now.