Hawks sign Julian Love (Safety)

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
This can mean the eventual end of Jamal Adams.

Although, Seattle, at times, often becomes thin at safety.

I could also see this as purely a depth move.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Schematics aside or included Jamal’s style of play fits the WLB anyways. He’s better in the box attacking. We need him on the field if healthy. Love is a hedge in case Jamal isn’t 💯 by September and a quality all around safety. Can even excel in the slot

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
Schematics aside or included Jamal’s style of play fits the WLB anyways. He’s better in the box attacking. We need him on the field if healthy. Love is a hedge in case Jamal isn’t 💯 by September and a quality all around safety. Can even excel in the slot
This. His skillset has always translated best to a Mark Barron-esque box safety/hybrid linebacker. I agree that the Love signing is both a health hedge and a sign that they want to employ a Big Nickle with all three safeties on the field. I know it feels like a lifetime ago, but the Hawks were running a TON of Big Nickle in the Broncos game. It was looking effective too. Adams was spying and blitzing Russ from the box like a mad man.

I know nobody wants to hear this, but I think we're financially tied to Adams for at least another season. Cutting him now with the post June 1st designation cuts his dead money considerably this year, but it doesn't make the hit disappear. It just pushes it to next season, and then yall will be kvetching about us not having any for important FA's next year.

Kinger95

Reaction score
I see this more than anything that he’s insurance in case Adams isn’t ready for the season and has to start a few games/ in case diggs/Adams get injured/ maybe some different looks on defense next year with more chess pieces/ quandre diggs is likely gone after this year simply because of the money it creates by cutting him so love is replacing him after this season

renofox

Reaction score
This. His skillset has always translated best to a Mark Barron-esque box safety/hybrid linebacker. I agree that the Love signing is both a health hedge and a sign that they want to employ a Big Nickle with all three safeties on the field. I know it feels like a lifetime ago, but the Hawks were running a TON of Big Nickle in the Broncos game. It was looking effective too. Adams was spying and blitzing Russ from the box like a mad man.

I know nobody wants to hear this, but I think we're financially tied to Adams for at least another season. Cutting him now with the post June 1st designation cuts his dead money considerably this year, but it doesn't make the hit disappear. It just pushes it to next season, and then yall will be kvetching about us not having any for important FA's next year.
If cut this year with post 6/1 designation his cap hit is 9.67M for 2023 and 14.22M for 2024. TOTAL 23.89M

If cut in 2024 his cap hit is 18.11M for 2023 and 14.22M for 2024. TOTAL 32.33M.

The difference of 8.44M gained by cutting him now is available this year. The cap charge next year does not change (since he has no guarantees next year) unless the team chooses to designate post 6/1 when they could then charge 7.11M against each of 2024 and 2025.

Does anybody here think JA will deliver 8.44M of value this year?

If gambling on that outcome, I would give 10-1 odds against. The actual odds are probably closer to 20-1.

Jville

Reaction score
"Another reason Love liked the idea of coming to Seattle was a chance to play for Pete Carroll, a former safety himself who has spent his career coaching up some of football's best defensive backs.
"He has energy, he has juice, and he makes you excited about the game of football, which is huge for a coach," Love said. "Not every coach does that. So I'm excited to be a student of a game under him. We were already talking ball in our brief moment together. So yeah, just the juice and passion he brings, it leaves a charge for sure." --- https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-sign-s-julian-love

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
The difference of 8.44M gained by cutting him now is available this year. The cap charge next year does not change (since he has no guarantees next year) unless the team chooses to designate post 6/1 when they could then charge 7.11M against each of 2024 and 2025.

Does anybody here think JA will deliver 8.44M of value this year?
Brother, I hear you. I totally understand where you're coming from on this. I know as fans most are ready to be done with Adams.

But it doesn't matter whether you, I, or anybody thinks JA will deliver ROI this season. It feels like the organization does believe that he can help them win inside of this window, and is willing to bet accordingly knowing that their out becomes progressively softer after this season.

Call it sunk cost fallacy or the like. But I would be very surprised if the Hawks were looking to get out from under this contract.

chrispy

Reaction score
If JAdams were cut, what would his market value be? His salary in 23 is 11million...so I think we can agree market value is less. Use your own number.

With that in mind, it would be positive on both sides to restructure. Seahawks can get out of cap hell and JAdams could get a little more than market value in a system built to suit him. JAdams (and his agent) will want his current contract to play out, but it's not justifiable. There's room in the middle to make a restructure work.

Having a player like Love makes this scenario much more likely. JS doesn't have to bluff about cutting JA. He just sets terms at market value plus 5% and says take it or take less as a FA from somewhere else.

getnasty

Reaction score
Wait to see the whole picture before you judge, maybe.
Not really judging and if we all waited to see the whole picture on everything thing I don't think this forum or any forum would exist.

Scout

Reaction score
Love is a big upgrade and honestly it makes it more likely the Hawks obtain more coverage sacks this year. Surprisingly enough BB of the Patriots is also loading up on versatile safeties this off season.

PFF did some stats on this recently that the NFL is a combination of having defensive front sevens being able to generate pressure and also a backend that can force coverage sacks. In the absence of having pressures/sacks from a front seven the next best thing is to have a lockdown secondary.