Hate the out of bounds rule !!

slateman77

Reaction score
If a player runs out of bounds on his own accord that's one thing but if he gets shoved out like what happened to Vannett in the end zone then he should be able to catch the ball. Have never understood that rule. We came away with no points on that drive which would have put us up 35-7 and pretty much iced it.

seabowl

Reaction score
slateman77":366mc5n2 said:
If a player runs out of bounds on his own accord that's one thing but if he gets shoved out like what happened to Vannett in the end zone then he should be able to catch the ball. Have never understood that rule. We came away with no points on that drive which would have put us up 35-7 and pretty much iced it.

There's another way to call.that:

Illegal Contact

massari

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out why that rule exists. Had no clue until today. Like you say, it makes sense unless you are shoved out by the opposition.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
seabowl":2pon5zrb said:
slateman77":2pon5zrb said:

Illegal Contact

Touché. That’s exactly why it isn’t written into the rule.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
seabowl":5nzsssjn said:
slateman77":5nzsssjn said:

Illegal Contact
I’m not sure that’s is illeagal contact once the QB leaves the pocket.
If the ball was in the air it could be called defensive holding or DPI.

I think it falls into one of those gray areas.

I think they need to tweak the illeagal touching rule, to say if you are pushed out by a defender you are still eligible to catch the ball.

Would like to see it addressed though.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
A lot of rules I'd change before this one. This is used as a strategy by defences that are at a distinct disadvantage in almost every way so I have no problem with giving them 1 advantage.

Msfann

Reaction score
Like I said in the gameday thread, they turn on the ticky tack machine when Seattle plays in that building. Always something controversial in the end zone that takes away TD's from Seattle.

sutz

Reaction score
It actually feels good that we're whining about ticky-tack little crap like this after a game.

:mrgreen:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":2bx0a0c5 said:
A lot of rules I'd change before this one. This is used as a strategy by defences that are at a distinct disadvantage in almost every way so I have no problem with giving them 1 advantage.

I dont mind the rule, just dont like the loss of down. Most players pushed out of bounds have no idea. Seems harsh punishment