Has Jamal Adams been a *gulp* disappointment?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I honestly think the D would be better off starting Diggs and Neal at safeties, playing 2 LBs and just have Adams freelance.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":12xqc4h1 said:
I honestly think the D would be better off starting Diggs and Neal at safeties, playing 2 LBs and just have Adams freelance.
I like that idea.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2p2zqatv said:

Kind of like using him where we had Blair to start the year? Works for me.

diver110

Reaction score
Injuries are always the wild card. You can have a great player, but if he gets injured, it can all be for not. Just look at McCaffrey.

Own The West

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":tn21mib8 said:
Grahamhawker":tn21mib8 said:

Kind of like using him where we had Blair to start the year? Works for me.

He's a natural big nickel and we're using him as a linebacker anyway...

BONUS: KNJ study video!

[youtube]wwdWJKdgTrg[/youtube]

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1tmeskdn said:

I like it!

hoxrox

Reaction score
I think the NY media just needs something to write about, and I think Adams and the team are still learning each other.

Looks pretty good from what I've seen so far, and should only get better with more time to gel. His speed off the edge and that sack where he knocked the tackle back was very impressive.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't think our DC is intelligent enough to know how to use Adams properly.

Nor do I think he has the aptitude to even learn how to be effective with him.

So it probably does not matter because we will not know the answer to this question until we get another DC.

TugHawk

Reaction score
I'm on the fence. I love the guy, but it's hard for me to be too excited about somebody who lacks the versatility to disrupt down in the box, AND in coverage. And frankly, being versatile is critical for the safety position, especially for a box safety (see: Kam Chancellor, Derwin James). Don't get me wrong, it's electric watching Jamal do what he does best at the LOS, but I cringe when I see him drop into coverage, because he is a liability. As was previously mentioned, it is probably exacerbated by the fact that the supporting cast (or scheme, if that's your belief) isn't great, but I would expect it to be better, especially for the superstar haul we dealt to NY. I am holding out hope, though - he would be next level if he can improve in coverage.

To the comparison between him and Kam...I think that is what Pete and JS wanted to replicate, but I don't even think they're in the same ballpark. Kam essentially eliminated the intermediate passing game when he was on the field. He was great at playing curl and flat zones, and he could man up with any tight end out there. Steller against the run, and a fantastic open space tackler. About as complete as you could ever ask. The man was just built different. I don't know if we'll ever see the same out of Jamal.

uniform

Reaction score
Don't forget we have Brook's. He's a very hungry rookie with speed to spare. Jordan plays like Jamal maybe even faster same LB Safety hybrid skill set. Can Jamal or Brook's roam free ? I have been waiting to see both Brook's and Jamal on the field at the start of the game. I like the 3/4 front line , LB idea to. Than we can play our best front line players. This action is a good idea to have our sack production continue. Last year the problem was keeping all of the starting defense healthy. We had 12 starting players offense/defense go down before the playoffs came. So there's a key stat to considering I. I have a lot of hope for us if we are still leading the division when the playoffs start. we have a quality offense without a doubt.

Fade

Reaction score
It's Jimmy Graham all over again. Square peg, round hole.

Adams needs to be in a well-designed, blitz heavy scheme. And when he is man up, it is against TEs & backs, not WRs.

Kind of like trading for a TE who can't block, in a scheme that demands that position be a great blocker.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Fade":3n11feel said:

Adams needs to be in a well-designed, blitz heavy scheme. And when he is man up, it is against TEs & backs, not WRs.

Kind of like trading for a TE who can't block, in a scheme that demands that position be a great blocker.
This is dangerously close to Graham territory as you said, and I couldn't think of a better example.

Adams is a unique and excellent talent and I'm worried that Seattle is going to waste it as they did Graham. It's not fair to Adams really. Someone like him needs to be the focal point of the defense and like Russel, he needs to be built around with players and a scheme that compliment him.

Put Adams on a team like the Steelers, Ravens, or Bears and he'd be a force that not only performs well but is utilized by their superior defensive coaching staff.

TugHawk

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":n74anvpv said:
Fade":n74anvpv said:

This is dangerously close to Graham territory as you said, and I couldn't think of a better example.

Adams is a unique and excellent talent and I'm worried that Seattle is going to waste it as they did Graham. It's not fair to Adams really. Someone like him needs to be the focal point of the defense and like Russel, he needs to be built around with players and a scheme that compliment him.

Put Adams on a team like the Steelers, Ravens, or Bears and he'd be a force that not only performs well but is utilized by their superior defensive coaching staff.

Great point. Our current scheme is predicated on the deep middle safety. We built the LOB around Earl Thomas. But Quandre isn’t Earl and the LOB is no more. I’d love to see a pivot towards what Pittsburgh and Baltimore run on defense. Super physical, smaller and more aggressive man-coverage corners, etc.. A defensive re-tooling in that fashion would play to all of Jamal’s strengths and effectively make him the cornerstone of our defense.

I think the question is how would Bwagz handle a 3-4 scheme, because the defense is kind of built around him right now. If he keeps playing as slow as he has been, save for the SF heroics, his ass might have to hang it up for Life Alert commercials sooner than we all might like to think. Until that happens, hard for me to see a change of scheme on the horizon.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hated the trade then, hate the trade now.

Needed pass rushers and gave the world for a safety, and what did that get us,,,,just the worse defense in the history of the NFL. Well done FO, well done.

Smellyman

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1p6c93ba said:
Are you saying we have a DC (HC?) too stupid to adjust the scheme to the strengths of the personnel? really?

If so I agree.

Adams will be a great one with the Seahawks. KNJ will go down as the worst DC ever at Seattle.

Some coaches can take mediocre personnel and meld a solid unit out of it. Some take solid personnel and turn them into 11 one-man teams. We have the later.

Right now he is going down as the worst in NFL history.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Adams hasn't been a disappointment but the way the team uses him at present certainly is one.

Adams oozes talent and ability but is a being employed mostly as a blitzer to cover up the the void of talent the team has in rushing the QB or then is employed in some form of soft zone coverage. He is a good blitzed but he's truly a rover or death backer and isn't supported in coverage.

I agree that Norton appears to be out of ideas and it's time for him to step down or for Pete to take responsibility for the mess that is now obvious to everyone.

It's hard to feel comforted by Pete's words that things will get better as the Buffalo game marked a new low where the opponent right away worked over the weakness in the Hawks D. Norton was a great player and has had successes as a coach but he's now over his head and w/o significant scheme change is unlikely to be able to right the mess he has created or allowed to occur.

I predict another embarrassment this weekend.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
hoxrox":1dpbiark said:
I think the NY media just needs something to write about, and I think Adams and the team are still learning each other.

Looks pretty good from what I've seen so far, and should only get better with more time to gel. His speed off the edge and that sack where he knocked the tackle back was very impressive.

Agreed. Trying to draw judgment of the trade at this stage is ridiculous. He's played in 4 games.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yet, not surprised some are assuming the worst about the trade already. Meh, the season is only half over.