GU basketball 2022-2023 season

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Zags get a really nice win against Alabama. They played very well, cutting out the turnovers, causing turnovers, and having very good offensive flow. Guard play was so much better. The most encouraging part is it was a really good opponent and they showed they can come out on top. Much of this season has had me very concerned but if they can keep up this kind of guard play and play some good D the just might have another tournament run in them.
make no mistake this game had become a pivot point circled on the zags calendar.

if zags lose, they risk dropping out of the top 25 and leaving a dark cloud over their heads the rest of the season. but the zags won, and are now headed back towards the top 10 with a bunch of momentum and optimism headed into conference play.

best game hickman and watson have had in a zags uni. offense flowed better than it had all season. guys made smart decisions, took what the defense gave them. out-rebounded, but not for lack of hustle. only 9 TO vs a strong defensive team.

few will sleep good tonight.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I thought the fact they won this game despite Miller just being enfuego was impressive. They could have folded but instead they just kept executing their offense and hitting shots.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I just noticed the Purdue is #1 right now, so their 3 losses are currently ranked #11 and higher.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
few got out-coached.

played way way down to his opposition. there is no semblance offense when timme is off. and tonight, timme was bad. like never gonna sniff an nba minute bad. not just offense, missed free throws (hit front rim every free throw) and he showed no effort on defense, either.

and the thing that worked for zags on defense? like aggression, challenging passes and 1/2 court press? well, they didn't even utilize the last 5 painstaking minutes. they really let lmu run off 30 seconds of clock each possession and dictate the pace. unbelievable.

they've come really close to losing on the road the last few games. but a loss to lmu? at home? lmu? 😭 just gotta laugh this one off. where's my weed @

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Guard play is just not there this year. Perimeter defense is porous as well. I don't see them lasting long in the tournament without a big leap being made from the guards. Also Strawther thinks he is a whole lot better than he actually is. Couldn't believe he tested the NBA waters last year. I bet he leaves after this year and I'm fine with that honestly. Can't play defense and his offense is not inspiring.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Well last night the Zags showed a completely different side. Guard play was good, defense was excellent, and Strawther was the best version of himself. If they can keep that up they will be a force to be reckoned with. They have shown they can beat the best teams this year with their win over Alabama. Why they only show it in spurts when playing teams that have beat them in the past is concerning. How about bringing that intensity to defense every game?

I still think our guard play is our achilles heel this year.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Very funny how they just wrecked the team that beat them in the Kennel. Some encouragement that maybe they do have an extra gear. Still have St. Mary's probably two more times so will be interesting to see how that goes.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Very funny how they just wrecked the team that beat them in the Kennel. Some encouragement that maybe they do have an extra gear. Still have St. Mary's probably two more times so will be interesting to see how that goes.
timme only played 19 mins, scored just 13 points. just wasn't any type of factor. yet they destroyed lmu. interesting!

and if you watched the game, once timme went to the bench you see that the team flowed much better, both in passing and movement. more guys getting involved and taking initiative. less standing around, causing guys to get open and cash in. few is stubborn sometimes and refuses to trust other players or just won't adapt until the 2nd half of the year. sometimes it takes a couple of losses or "the star" going out for reality to set in that things need adapted. we'll see if they stop making the offense solely about timme and let guys attack more. they absolutely need to be more dynamic than just "dump the ball into timme again" come tourney time. strawther, malachi smith, hickman, bolton, even watson and sallis can get theirs.

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I’m watching Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s I didn’t realize Timme was still there he’s like a 9th year senior lol

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags playing well to end the year. Not sure how much to take from that though.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Moving Ben Gregg into the rotation has been a boost. Very unusual for Few to move guys up the ladder late in the season, but clearly something had to be done and fortunately it's paying off.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Yeah they destroyed Saint Mary’s and should get a 2 seed in the dance