Greatest Seahawk One-Hit Wonders

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RiverDog":3e6jflyo said:
BlueThunder":3e6jflyo said:
A one-season wonder was Rich Mirer. Then he fell off a cliff due to him being repeatedly sacked due to our piss-poor O-line. And if we had just lost to the Patriots the season before in a throwaway year, we would've drafted Drew Bledsoe. ARGHHH! But with Ken Behring owning the team at the time, and Tom Flores as head coach, we would have just destroyed his career anyways. But that one loss could have steered history enough to where the Pats would have never become the juggernaut they are today. I need a modified Delorean.... Damnit...

"Mirer was selected with the second overall pick in the 1993 draft by the Seattle Seahawks. He signed a five-year, $15 million contract. In his rookie year under head coach Tom Flores, he set all-time NFL rookie records for attempts, completions and yards (excluding rookies such as Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, or Dieter Brock, who all had several years of professional experience prior to the NFL), and became only the 3rd rookie quarterback since 1970 to start all of his team's games. He finished his rookie season 5th in the AFC with 274 completions and 2833 yards. He was also runner up in the offensive rookie of the year voting, finishing behind his former backfield teammate from Notre Dame, Jerome Bettis. Those rookie records were eventually broken by Peyton Manning."

A few years ago, I saw a segment with Steve Raible regarding Mirer. Apparently the guy wasn't all that sharp. The Hawks had to dumb down the offense in his rookie season, which helps explain his great start, but as they tried to get him to progress into more difficult schemes, he could never completely grasp the offense, read defenses, and so on. It was one of the biggest fleecings in club history when we traded him to Chicago for 2 high draft choices.
One of which netted us Walter Jones I believe.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3e08zjcg said:
RiverDog":3e08zjcg said:
BlueThunder":3e08zjcg said:
A one-season wonder was Rich Mirer. Then he fell off a cliff due to him being repeatedly sacked due to our piss-poor O-line. And if we had just lost to the Patriots the season before in a throwaway year, we would've drafted Drew Bledsoe. ARGHHH! But with Ken Behring owning the team at the time, and Tom Flores as head coach, we would have just destroyed his career anyways. But that one loss could have steered history enough to where the Pats would have never become the juggernaut they are today. I need a modified Delorean.... Damnit...

"Mirer was selected with the second overall pick in the 1993 draft by the Seattle Seahawks. He signed a five-year, $15 million contract. In his rookie year under head coach Tom Flores, he set all-time NFL rookie records for attempts, completions and yards (excluding rookies such as Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, or Dieter Brock, who all had several years of professional experience prior to the NFL), and became only the 3rd rookie quarterback since 1970 to start all of his team's games. He finished his rookie season 5th in the AFC with 274 completions and 2833 yards. He was also runner up in the offensive rookie of the year voting, finishing behind his former backfield teammate from Notre Dame, Jerome Bettis. Those rookie records were eventually broken by Peyton Manning."

A few years ago, I saw a segment with Steve Raible regarding Mirer. Apparently the guy wasn't all that sharp. The Hawks had to dumb down the offense in his rookie season, which helps explain his great start, but as they tried to get him to progress into more difficult schemes, he could never completely grasp the offense, read defenses, and so on. It was one of the biggest fleecings in club history when we traded him to Chicago for 2 high draft choices.
One of which netted us Walter Jones I believe.

We only netted 1 choice, Chicago's 1st. We dealt Mirer and our 4th for it. We then dealt it to the Falcons along with our 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th from Baltimore for Jeff Blackshear to move up to #3 and grab Shawn Springs. We also picked up Atlanta's 3rd in the deal, which we flipped along with our own 1st to Tampa to move up to #6 and grab Walter Jones.

In other words, we dealt Rick Mirer, Jeff Blackshear, and our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks for Shawn Springs and Walter Jones.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Jerramy Stevens.

He really broke out late 2004, and had a really good 2005. First player in Seahawks history to catch a touchdown.

But then, the booze. And the Bucs. And Hope Solo

RiverDog

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1gnxfu2d said:
Sports Hernia":1gnxfu2d said:
In other words, we dealt Rick Mirer, Jeff Blackshear, and our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks for Shawn Springs and Walter Jones.

TOTALLY worth it!! (Jeff Who??) LOL

We could have traded our entire 1996 team for the opportunity to draft Walter Jones and it would have been worth it.

quadsas

Reaction score
Walter Thurmond sure looked like a pro bowler for a stretch of games

Seafan

Reaction score
For the old timers here, Theotis Brown and Derrick Fenner. Both RBs came on strong early and then faded quickly.

calinator

Reaction score
Michael Boulware.

I also want to mention Jeremy Lane even though He definitely doesn't apply to this topic because I feel very sorry for him because of how badly Seahawks fans treated him because of his poor play after his horrific injury. Before SB49 and during SB49 I thought he was playing very well and the defense was stifling TB12. Lane makes a huge play in the game and picks Brady off while tearing his ACL and injuring his arm on the return. Immediately after that play happened is when Brady started to get hot and abuse the slot with Lane out. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT IF HE WASN'T HURT THE SEAHAWKS WOULD HAVE BLOWN OUT THE PATRIOTS. It pissed me off how Seahawks fans treated him after this.

Rawls is another great pick. He looked truly special and i'm shocked he didn't turn in to a star cause he looked great.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Think back to 1993 and our week 17 home game vs. Pittsburgh on the day after Christmas. We were coming off a four game losing streak and star RB Chris Warren was out so hopes were low.

Enter backup RB Jon Vaughn, who had carried the ball just six times previously as a Seahawk. He ran for over 5 yards a carry and 131 total yards en route to a Seahawks upset. However, that was his last shot as a starter and he never carried for more than 8 times again in the NFL and was out of the league the following year.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":sjqu6s7b said:
Erebus":sjqu6s7b said:
Spin Doctor":sjqu6s7b said:
Patrick Kerney, 2007. After that season he was never the same. We could also throw in Raheem Brock.

From our perspective, you could call Kerney a one-hit wonder. But he had a successful career before joining the Seahawks.
Except when he faced Walter Jones. He literally quit in the 2nd quarter of a game between the Hawks and Falcons(?) because he was being so thoroughly dominated by Walt. So what did Ruskell do? Sign him as a FA.

I will go to my deathbed convinced that after the beat-down he received playing against us, he signed with the Seahawks so no one would ever see Walter Jones own him on national television again.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
The career of Derrick Mayes.

1996-98 (Packers) 3-year combined total: 54 catches 730 yards 5 touchdowns

1999 (Seahawks): 62 catches 829 yards 10 TDs

2000 (Seahawks): 29 catches 264 yards 3 TDs

Never played another down in the NFL after that.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
How about the BOZ?Started off pretty good in first year
but hurt his shoulder and was never close to the same
again.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
ChiefHawk":19e80ywp said:
hawksfansinceday1":19e80ywp said:
Erebus":19e80ywp said:
Spin Doctor":19e80ywp said:
Patrick Kerney, 2007. After that season he was never the same. We could also throw in Raheem Brock.

From our perspective, you could call Kerney a one-hit wonder. But he had a successful career before joining the Seahawks.
Except when he faced Walter Jones. He literally quit in the 2nd quarter of a game between the Hawks and Falcons(?) because he was being so thoroughly dominated by Walt. So what did Ruskell do? Sign him as a FA.

I will go to my deathbed convinced that after the beat-down he received playing against us, he signed with the Seahawks so no one would ever see Walter Jones own him on national television again.
Never thought of that but it makes sense, a lot of sense.

RiverDog

Reaction score
IndyHawk":yv2cq4s0 said:
How about the BOZ?Started off pretty good in first year
but hurt his shoulder and was never close to the same
again.

Boz didn't "hurt" his shoulder, at least not while playing with us. It was an injury that he sustained while in college and used steroids to treat it so he could continue working out. Bosworth claimed that the steroids were doctor prescribed, but he never identified the physician. He subsequently re-injured it while playing for us. Many suspect that it was his overuse of steroids that led to his chronic condition.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Jerhawk":36x39yvn said:
Jerramy Stevens.

He really broke out late 2004, and had a really good 2005. First player in Seahawks history to catch a touchdown.

Not true.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Daryll Tapp had a 4 sack game. One of which came with a massive club/cast on his hand.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
In my original post I called Rick Mirer "Rich Mirer", which I have corrected, but still shows up when I was quoted. Can't believe none of you called me out on it! :lol: There may have been of beer or 3 involved there...