Greatest Seahawk One-Hit Wonders

Rat

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/280 ... h-more#SEA

Fun article from ESPN naming every franchise's top one-hit wonder. I suppose ours was fairly obvious.

WR Chris Matthews, Feb. 1, 2015

What happened: Matthews came out of nowhere to catch four passes for 109 yards and a touchdown in Super Bowl XLIX against the Patriots in a performance that might have earned him MVP honors had the Seahawks won. Matthews had recovered a crucial onside kick in the NFC title game two weeks earlier, but, before the Super Bowl, the CFL import had yet to catch an NFL pass outside of the preseason.

The aftermath: Matthews made the team the next season, in 2015, but was buried on the depth chart and caught only four passes in nine games before the Seahawks released him. Then-offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell spoke that summer about needing more consistency from Matthews, who finished his career with 16 catches for 176 yards and a touchdown in 22 regular-season games. -- Brady Henderson

Who else should be in the discussion? Mike Williams and Derrick Mayes come to mind for me.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The 4 games of Jordan Hill 2014. He was the most disruptive force on the Dline. 5 sacks in 4 games all from playing the DT constant pressure up the middle. Got hurt was never the same, if he had kept playing at that rate Super Bowl 49 would have played out completely different.

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
D.J Hackett back in the 2000's. Seemed to have great chemistry with Hass but could never stay healthy.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Patrick Kerney, 2007. After that season he was never the same. We could also throw in Raheem Brock.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":18fhdtzu said:
Percy Harvin, 2013

Beat me to it. He had that memorable kick return TD to end any chance of the Broncos coming back in XLVIII. And that was his glorious One Hit Wonder moment.

Erebus

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3toen3b4 said:
Patrick Kerney, 2007. After that season he was never the same. We could also throw in Raheem Brock.

From our perspective, you could call Kerney a one-hit wonder. But he had a successful career before joining the Seahawks.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
A one-season wonder was Rick Mirer. Then he fell off a cliff due to him being repeatedly sacked due to our piss-poor O-line. And if we had just lost to the Patriots the season before in a throwaway year, we would've drafted Drew Bledsoe. ARGHHH! But with Ken Behring owning the team at the time, and Tom Flores as head coach, we would have just destroyed his career anyways. But that one loss could have steered history enough to where the Pats would have never become the juggernaut they are today. I need a modified Delorean.... Damnit...

"Mirer was selected with the second overall pick in the 1993 draft by the Seattle Seahawks. He signed a five-year, $15 million contract. In his rookie year under head coach Tom Flores, he set all-time NFL rookie records for attempts, completions and yards (excluding rookies such as Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, or Dieter Brock, who all had several years of professional experience prior to the NFL), and became only the 3rd rookie quarterback since 1970 to start all of his team's games. He finished his rookie season 5th in the AFC with 274 completions and 2833 yards. He was also runner up in the offensive rookie of the year voting, finishing behind his former backfield teammate from Notre Dame, Jerome Bettis. Those rookie records were eventually broken by Peyton Manning."

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Erebus":1mr220iq said:
Spin Doctor":1mr220iq said:

From our perspective, you could call Kerney a one-hit wonder. But he had a successful career before joining the Seahawks.
Except when he faced Walter Jones. He literally quit in the 2nd quarter of a game between the Hawks and Falcons(?) because he was being so thoroughly dominated by Walt. So what did Ruskell do? Sign him as a FA.

seahawksny

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2ip6jgg5 said:
Percy Harvin, 2013

Literally. As he only played when he wanted to
One game against his old team not coincidentally.
Comes back for playoffs.
Kick return and two jet sweeps in super

Then he was finished

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Erebus":22i5w8ut said:
Spin Doctor":22i5w8ut said:

Same for Joe Jurevicius. He was my first thought when I saw the thread title, but I don't think he fits the criteria here.

RiverDog

Reaction score
BlueThunder":3m5m7bni said:
A one-season wonder was Rich Mirer. Then he fell off a cliff due to him being repeatedly sacked due to our piss-poor O-line. And if we had just lost to the Patriots the season before in a throwaway year, we would've drafted Drew Bledsoe. ARGHHH! But with Ken Behring owning the team at the time, and Tom Flores as head coach, we would have just destroyed his career anyways. But that one loss could have steered history enough to where the Pats would have never become the juggernaut they are today. I need a modified Delorean.... Damnit...

"Mirer was selected with the second overall pick in the 1993 draft by the Seattle Seahawks. He signed a five-year, $15 million contract. In his rookie year under head coach Tom Flores, he set all-time NFL rookie records for attempts, completions and yards (excluding rookies such as Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, or Dieter Brock, who all had several years of professional experience prior to the NFL), and became only the 3rd rookie quarterback since 1970 to start all of his team's games. He finished his rookie season 5th in the AFC with 274 completions and 2833 yards. He was also runner up in the offensive rookie of the year voting, finishing behind his former backfield teammate from Notre Dame, Jerome Bettis. Those rookie records were eventually broken by Peyton Manning."

A few years ago, I saw a segment with Steve Raible regarding Mirer. Apparently the guy wasn't all that sharp. The Hawks had to dumb down the offense in his rookie season, which helps explain his great start, but as they tried to get him to progress into more difficult schemes, he could never completely grasp the offense, read defenses, and so on. It was one of the biggest fleecings in club history when we traded him to Chicago for 2 high draft choices.