GREATEST players to NEVER …….

rjdriver

Reaction score
Jim Brown.

One of my pet peeves is that people tend to think of professional football starting with Super Bowl I.
He won multiple NFL championships though which was the precursor to the SB, so it could be argued that he is left out of the convo because people don't see him as ringless.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Jim Brown.

One of my pet peeves is that people tend to think of professional football starting with Super Bowl I.
I certainly don’t think that.
However in current times, the SB is the standard we tend to measure by.

Fact is, that’s the whole point of this conversation.

Lots of incredible athletes never won one but the fact that it wasn’t available to some certainly doesn’t exclude them from our list/conversation.

Bring’em on.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I'm going to add Bo Jackson.

I know, I know. He didn't have the stats or longevity to qualify as an all time great....

But...

Much in the same way that Lon describes Earl Campbell, seeing Bo when he was healthy was almost surreal. Usually the margin between NFL players is slim, but Bo (at times) would remind me of that one kid on every high school team who matures early and seemed seems like a men amongst boys.

He was the simply the greatest athlete of his generation. Hell, maybe of all generations. Running away from DB's on Sunday, climbing walls and throwing no hoppers from the wall to home plate on Tuesday. He was simply astonishing.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He won multiple NFL championships though which was the precursor to the SB, so it could be argued that he is left out of the convo because people don't see him as ringless.
Good point. But I don't think very many in the sporting world recognize Jim Brown as having a ring.

Another great player never to win a Super Bowl was Otto Graham. Here's just a snippet of his bio:

Graham led his league in every major passing category each in multiple seasons and finished his career with a career all-time pro record Yds/Att of 9.0. Until a few years ago he held the record for career rushing touchdowns by a pro quarterback with 44. The Browns' record with Graham as starting quarterback was 57–13–1, including a 9–3 record in the playoffs.[44] He still holds the NFL career record for yards per pass attempt, averaging 8.63.[78] He also holds the record for the highest career winning percentage for an NFL starting quarterback, with 0.810.[79] Graham was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1965.[80] Having won seven championships in 10 seasons and reached the championship game in every year he played, Graham is regarded by sportswriters as one of the greatest winners of all time and one of the best professional quarterbacks ever to play the game.[81][82][83] He never missed a game in his career.[26]

RiverDog

Reaction score
I certainly don’t think that.
However in current times, the SB is the standard we tend to measure by.

Fact is, that’s the whole point of this conversation.

Lots of incredible athletes never won one but the fact that it wasn’t available to some certainly doesn’t exclude them from our list/conversation.

Bring’em on.
I didn't mean to suggest that you did. I was simply mentioning a pet peeve of mine. Besides, there wouldn't be any shame if you did think that way as wouldn't be alone.

sutz

Reaction score
I get it.

Fully understand that there were great football players prior to the SB era.
Yabbut, it's kind of unfair to include them on this list. If the title was more general, as in "Greatest players to never win an NFL Championship" it would make more sense. Can't fault players for when they played in lists like this.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Yabbut, it's kind of unfair to include them on this list. If the title was more general, as in "Greatest players to never win an NFL Championship" it would make more sense. Can't fault players for when they played in lists like this.
Fair, and I certainly won’t argue either way.

chris98251

Reaction score
Archie Manning was a great QB who should have a special award for just surviving as long as he did. Never got recognition because of the shitty Saints for ever in the Cellar, then Dan Pastorini also. Bad teams with outstanding talent in a few positions and shity coaching.

BASF

Reaction score
Derrick Thomas was an absolute terror for the league. He was so much fun to watch even as a division rival.

John Randle definitely belongs on this list.

I take humbrage with Bettis being an all time great. He was really good for a long time, but he was never great. He finished second in rushing yards once. He finished third in rushing yards twice. He never got higher than fourth in rushing touchdowns (this was only twice, when he actually had double digit touchdowns in a thirteen year career). There are more than two hundred running backs that had better yards per carry average. He is not an all time great.

Last edited:

NoGain

Reaction score
I take humbrage with Bettis being an all time great. He was really good for a long time, but he was never great. He finished second in rushing yards once. He finished third in rushing yards twice. He never got higher than fourth in rushing touchdowns. There are more than two hundred running backs that had better yards per carry average. He is not an all time great.
I think the Bettis thing was a sarcastic jest by the poster in that the Hawks were robbed of that SB victory and that Bettis is not really a SB winner.

NoGain

Reaction score
Totally get that, but still
Yeah, I don't think Bettis was a true HOFer either. I'm kind of in the D. Sanders camp now that there should be an upper room at Canton for the uber HOFers.