Great analysis of what to expect from Seahawks this year.

Rainger

Reaction score
As we look forward to the 2014 Hawks I think we are in for an exciting evolution of this team. Unlike other coaches who have a "way" and continue their style year after year, I think Pete has had a bigger plan than any of us have understood.

We all hear the simplistic generalizations of that Pete wants a run first team with a strong defense. But what if that has only been a process to get to where he really wants the team to be?

In reading this great piece from David Hsu I started thinking, maybe this team will be come a more passing (and I mean not a lot more but a lot more explosive) team.

Pete has now got the pieces he needs to really put forward the type of team he thinks can always compete.

I believe that the Hawks will even be better and more explosive this year than they were the last. That doesn't automatically result in a better record, (too many factors) but it will be better and more explosive and more exciting team than we have seen in the past.

Read this article and don't just concentrate on the subject of Paul Richardson but on the philosophy of Pete and where this team is headed with the tools he now has.

What do you think?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... ing-report

JZ#1

Reaction score
You kind of sense that is the way Pete wants to go. This team has spent significant NFL capital on weapons in the passing game. Harvin, Paul Richardson, etc. I think when you realize you have a QB who can swing it into tight areas, you want to maximize that talent so you move the playcalling to do so.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rainger":2ftv852n said:
As we look forward to the 2014 Hawks I think we are in for an exciting evolution of this team. Unlike other coaches who have a "way" and continue their style year after year, I think Pete has had a bigger plan than any of us have understood.

We all hear the simplistic generalizations of that Pete wants a run first team with a strong defense. But what if that has only been a process to get to where he really wants the team to be?

In reading this great piece from David Hsu I started thinking, maybe this team will be come a more passing (and I mean not a lot more but a lot more explosive) team.

Pete has now got the pieces he needs to really put forward the type of team he thinks can always compete.

I believe that the Hawks will even be better and more explosive this year than they were the last. That doesn't automatically result in a better record, (too many factors) but it will be better and more explosive and more exciting team than we have seen in the past.

Read this article and don't just concentrate on the subject of Paul Richardson but on the philosophy of Pete and where this team is headed with the tools he now has.

What do you think?

Not normally a fan of that site, but good find and good article.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
rainger":28yhar4h said:

What do you think?

Been saying this for months. I see us going 55/45 pass/run nearly immediately. Wilson will explode this year, it will be his team not Lynch's.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'm excited. Seahawks are loaded on offense...if the two starting guards can have the best off-season of their careers and come in the best shape or more functionally stronger plus if the Britt/Bowie competition can yield similar performance to Giacomini's plays... the Seahawks dare I say could have a top 3 Offense in the NFL.

But what I love about guys like Richardson, Harvin, Michael, Willson, and even Norwood is their athleticism is going to make the 2ndary better.

And guys like Lynch, Turbin, Miller, McCoy, Baldwin, Kearse, Smalls will make the Front 7 better.

Just everyone is competing and making each other better.

Let Tye Hilton try to come at us after the Defense practiced all summer with Richardson.

Cmon Seahawks you already won the Superbowl, set your sights on an even more exclusive feat (plus another Championship), the DVOA triple crown: #1 O, #1 D, #1 ST.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
If they won't let us run we will punish them over and over. And since Wilson isn't Keapernick it will get ugly.

theascension

Reaction score
Eh don't expect us to ever pass the ball 50 times. We're always looking for more efficiency, if our picks pan out (and we seem to at least have a much better chance this year than last for more offensive production) then our yards per play should be much better.
I don't think our losses on defense were any more than 10% either, I have high expectations and think we can hit #1 defense while also having a top 5 offense with a lot of deep threats.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
theascension":1zno8icg said:
Eh don't expect us to ever pass the ball 50 times. We're always looking for more efficiency, if our picks pan out (and we seem to at least have a much better chance this year than last for more offensive production) then our yards per play should be much better.
I don't think our losses on defense were any more than 10% either, I have high expectations and think we can hit #1 defense while also having a top 5 offense with a lot of deep threats.
You misunderstood. We'll never be Denver, NE or NO. 30 isn't 45-50.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Good read. Moving the QB is another reason to have athletic/relatively quick OL. I believe that is why they chose the OT's they picked. Pretty much all our OL can move well w/ the possible exception of Carp although I do wonder what he may look like w/ a full offseason of conditioning/training camp without injuries. Does he drop some sloppy weight and get quicker? Will be very interesting to see this year.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ht0xpzk said:
rainger":2ht0xpzk said:

What do you think?

Not normally a fan of that site, but good find and good article.

??????? Not a fan of a site where all of the writers actually have in-depth knowledge of what they write about? Okaaaay :roll:

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I have not read the article but I can't help but think that what RW was able to do in the Super Bowl passing wise made the case for more pass plays. Denver, with the stop the run first strategy, basically said OK RW beat us with your arm. And he did and in a big way. My thinking is and has been since the game ended why not exploit his arm. The kid is truly gifted. That throw to Lockett was a thing of beauty. I could watch the slo-mo of that pass all day.

Skansi82

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":19itrcgc said:
Good read. Moving the QB is another reason to have athletic/relatively quick OL. I believe that is why they chose the OT's they picked. Pretty much all our OL can move well w/ the possible exception of Carp although I do wonder what he may look like w/ a full offseason of conditioning/training camp without injuries. Does he drop some sloppy weight and get quicker? Will be very interesting to see this year.

That's a good point about Carp. Considering that it's a contract year for him, I'm hopeful that he works his butt off and shows up "in the best shape of his life". I'm cautiously optimistic about the young O-line making some big strides this year!

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Pete wants guys who fit with Wilson's strengths and the addition of Richardson is proof of that. One of Wilson's greatest strengths is the deep ball and now with Richardson he has a receiver who fits that. I expect Richardson to have a big role this year and the offense to open up some. I think we were near or at the top of explosive plays last year without Harvin/Richardson. I expect more of the same this year. I agree with the above poster that Wilson has his best year statistically yet. Should be fun to watch.

Great article as well.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pete does not become stagnant. He runs his team the way he molds his players. It's part of his philosophy. If this team has the tools to open it up in the passing game, then he will take advantage of that. That's why he didn't worry about what nfcw teams did in the draft, because "it's all about us."

If he's got a great pass blocking line, he's going to take advantage of it. Just like in the SuperB Owl. Stopping the run? Throw it over their heads.

ManBunts

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2j63s8me said:
rainger":2j63s8me said:

What do you think?

Been saying this for months. I see us going 55/45 pass/run nearly immediately. Wilson will explode this year, it will be his team not Lynch's.

Love the article and the theory. And I agree, who knows if Lynch will be here after his contract is up, and with a more than competent QB we need transfer the leadership to Russell. I love the way he played in the Super Bowl. Absolutely superb in spreading the ball, accurate passes. That Russell, every game, will elevate every part of our team.

Although to be honest, my favorite pick of the draft was Marsh. That looks like a very bad man, and I'm very curious if they'll use his flexibility as TE much. As Miller ages, I could see Marsh, with that size, being an excellent blocking TE on certain downs, freeing Luke up as more of a WR style TE, a la Graham/Gronk.

Goodwin Seahawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3mlfzrjm said:
theascension":3mlfzrjm said:

Not sure about even 30 passing attempts. If the scheme described in the article is accurate, and our draft picks pan out, RW might have a weekly stat line like 18 for 22, 340 yds, 3TD.

My personal opinion is that Pete is not going to change his offensive philosophy. He is bringing in people who can execute his philoshophy better.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
RW is about to have a real coming out party this year. With the 2 (possibly 3) new additions to the WR corps and healthy Harvin? Oh yeah, he's going to put up some numbers

hawknation2014

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3ka8lrrz said:

Carroll's offensive philosophy strives for balance. Ideally, he wants an offense that is so unpredictable that it can hurt an opponent equally through the air and on the ground. The goal has aways been 50-50.

His team ran the ball 89 more times than they threw it last season because the running game happened to be more consistent than the passing game, whose offensive line and receiving corps was hit hard by injuries. With all the WR additions (Harvin, Richardson, Norwood, Rice, etc.) and a healthy offensive line, they should begin to approach the ideal of 50-50.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Goodwin Seahawk":110k6qe7 said:
MizzouHawkGal":110k6qe7 said:
theascension":110k6qe7 said:

Not sure about even 30 passing attempts. If the scheme described in the article is accurate, and our draft picks pan out, RW might have a weekly stat line like 18 for 22, 340 yds, 3TD.

My personal opinion is that Pete is not going to change his offensive philosophy. He is bringing in people who can execute his philoshophy better.
I can live with that statline.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1d7nb47u said:
MizzouHawkGal":1d7nb47u said:

Carroll's offensive philosophy strives for balance. Ideally, he wants an offense that is so unpredictable that it can hurt an opponent equally through the air and on the ground. The goal has aways been 50-50.

His team ran the ball 89 more times than they threw it last season because the running game happened to be more consistent than the passing game, whose offensive line and receiving corps was hit hard by injuries. With all the WR additions (Harvin, Richardson, Norwood, Rice, etc.) and a healthy offensive line, they should begin to approach the ideal of 50-50.
I would prefer a bit more, but 50/50 would suffice. Anything but that run, run, pass offense of 2013.

Latest posts