Good Explanation As To Why It Was Time

MORGULON

Reaction score
I think that phrase means different things to different people. In the Marine Corps, showing one's ass means making an utter fool of one's self.
I used to live in the deep south and heard that phrase and it had the same meaning.

MORGULON

Reaction score
This. The tired mantra that he trumped everything is completey counter to not just his philosophy, but to the critique of guys like Paul Moyer who point blank said that the idea that the defense hadnt changed or was stuck, was not correct. I believe he stated that it might be too complex. Whether that was because the teaching was ineffective or the concepts unsound, i dont think we will ever know.

The problem was first that Pete put too much faith in coordinators who were failing, in the hope that with enough time on job and support, theyd get it. The consensus take from analysts like Moyer who are close to the team and know the game (particularly defense) was that there was a disconnect between coordinator and player. The exact same thing that Philly encountered last year under Desai. Coincidence? I think not.

PETE RELISHED IN THE SATISFACTION OF SEEING PLAYERS AND COACHES ACHIEVE GREATNESS AGAINT THE ODDS AND THROUGH DETERMINATION. He put guys that wouldnt have had a legit shot to succeed in any other situation an opportunity. Its everything hes about. Guys like Russ, R Lockette, Malcolm Smith, among others were great examples of guys who achieved. But for every one of them, theres a Bryan Mone, Shaquem Griffin, and Tre Flowers . Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Quinn and Bradley were Petes best appointments. Both have worked as coordinators or HCs since being here with some success. Both brought us success. Neither had achieved anything as coordinators before Pete elevated them.

Norton? Wasnt good at DC before and isnt in the league now. K Richards - back to coaching DBs after failing as DC after leaving Seattle. C Hurtt - back to coaching D line. And i doubt either of the latter will be DCs again. So its not like Pete held anyone back. He put the wrong guys in place. He didnt trump some grand idea that they might have implemented and history proves that.
Again, live by the sword, die by the sword.

Quinn has taken the base concepts that he ran in Seattle and adapted them. By Moyers measure, the concepts on D in Seatte and what they were TRYING to run were significantly different from what they ran with the LOB. It just wasnt taught effectively or was too hard to grasp. If the 'teachers' who failed here, failed elsewhere, that should tell you something.

That, and the 'next man up' idea and the 'fit the player to the position' belief system that kept players locked into a position (sometimes out of position or not in a position that best utilized their individual talents) hindered the D. But that alone couldnt have rendered the results we saw over the last 5 years.
And of his 2 best appointments, he inherited Bradley .

I think Pete can still coach and he'll get a chance at some point . I do agree that his age does come up and the amount of control he'd want might make some teams think twice about bringing him in.

keasley45

Reaction score
And of his 2 best appointments, he inherited Bradley .

I think Pete can still coach and he'll get a chance at some point . I do agree that his age does come up and the amount of control he'd want might make some teams think twice about bringing him in.
I honestly think that his coaching future depends in no small part on what the new regime does in its first year. If we go 11-5 with largely the same group, plus a few handpicked MM guys, Pete's last few years will look more like a failure and his chances of coaching again will be reduced.

If MM falls flat, folks will see Pete as having been delt a poor hand - one that even a young stud like MM couldnt win with.

Last edited:

SuperSonic67

Reaction score
I honestly think that his coaching future depends in no small part on what the new regime does in its first year. If we go 11-5 with largely the same group, plus a few handpicked MM guys, Pete's last few years will look more like a failure and his chances of coaching again will be reduced.

If MM falls flat, folks will see Pete as having been delt a poor gand - one that even a young stud like MM couldnt win with.
Well one thing’s guaranteed…we won’t go 11-5 🙂

BASF

Reaction score
Waldron's play calling was figured out before our bye week in 2022. We ran too many of the same plays as dictated by down and distance. Adjustments were made in the offseason and he was figured out faster in 2023. I was surpised he was hired for the same position.

Hurtt's defense was figured out while in Germany and the league just kept on doing what it wanted against us from that point on, cuz Hurtt never should have been hired in the first place.

Those two hires were the death knell for Carroll, because the changes to his system that they implemented failed.

JPatera76

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Well one thing’s guaranteed…we won’t go 11-5 🙂
is it? can you show me that its no guaranteed? do you have proof or anything? because if there is any guarantee... its that ANYTHING is possible

Palmegranite

Reaction score
11-5 for sure.

And we're not even going to talk about that tie with Arizona.....