Golden Tate signs with the Lions

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Let's be real, folks. The writing was on the wall the moment they traded for Percy Harvin. There was no way this FO was going to commit to an all-5'10 receiving corps for more than a year. Don't blame Golden for this. He'd likely still be here if that deal never went down, and that wasn't his decision.

G-Money

Reaction score
Wish the best for Tate..........but it's already getting old seeing players leave/get cut.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
davidonmi":20ad8uz6 said:
can someone with some knowledge on this stuff say what we'll get in terms of compensation?

He will definitely qualify for a comp pick. We won't really know until UFA period is over. With so many big contracts being floated around, it's tough to read yet. We also have to weed through the contracts of released players because those don't factor into the comp equation. And we'll have to subtract whatever UFA qualifiers we have yet to sign.

I'd expect a 6M+ contract to merit a 5th round comp. There are plenty of 4m contracts going around -- I expect those to kind of be the upper threshold of 6th round comps. Usually a 1m contract merits a 7th. This year that could be up around 1.5m.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
That's a great deal for the kid. Playing opposite Megatron is gonna be fun for him.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
522c28c47519eb3ec24afeeb8af44574

I get that people bummed/upset/angry that Tate sign with another team, but if that means the $6+ he was getting would go towards extending Sherman or Thomas, I'm all for it. Maybe that $6+ helps us sign someone else too.

I would rather be in the position where we have to pick and choose which awesome people to keep rather than scrambling around for talent. It's not like the talent we have on the team suddenly sucks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Cartire":ydwnxncn said:
Throwdown":ydwnxncn said:
So we weren't gonna get that discount he ran his mouth about? He did take the money to go somewhere to win a few games here n there?

Whatevz, don't care anymore. Dudes a clown for being fake. I'm never mad at anyone getting all they can, but don't talk out your youknowwhat and say things people don't mean.

We have no idea what, if anything, the hawks offered him besides Softys lame source. I almost believe we didn't even present him with an offer. What's he suppose to do, not sign with anyone?
That's my take. We didn't want him. Which makes sense given we have Baldwin and Harvin and prefer big receivers anyway. Good for him that he got his money bad for him that he had to go to Detroit. They're systemically bad on a historic level. Careers die there since the 1960's.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
G-Money":k44fc73s said:
Wish the best for Tate..........but it's already getting old seeing players leave/get cut.

It's the sign of a great team. I'll take it over what we used to have. We used to retain all our own players—Overpaid and overvalued—and scrape by to make the playoffs.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Thanks for the memories Golden. Congrats on the big payday, and good luck in Detroit.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
sammyc521":2a83zq3n said:
522c28c47519eb3ec24afeeb8af44574

I get that people bummed/upset/angry that Tate sign with another team, but if that means the $6+ he was getting would go towards extending Sherman or Thomas, I'm all for it. Maybe that $6+ helps us sign someone else too.

I would rather be in the position where we have to pick and choose which awesome people to keep rather than scrambling around for talent. It's not like the talent we have on the team suddenly sucks.

I agree. We can't keep everyone and realistically he is a #2 WR who was playing #1 for us last year. He's not worth the money Detroit paid.

RezHawk

Reaction score
Bummer for us but good for Golden. I think he will flourish in that offense with Megatron drawing away coverage. Can't blame the guy for taking the money, NFL careers are short and truly doubt that we would have matched that offer. Hope we can get ADB extended though as I would hate to lose both these guys in consecutive years.

Terpdragon

Reaction score
HawkFan72":31cn89sm said:
G-Money":31cn89sm said:

It's the sign of a great team. I'll take it over what we used to have. We used to retain all our own players—Overpaid and overvalued—and scrape by to make the playoffs.
True, I'd rather have players that want to be here. If they don't, screw them! Enjoy mediocrity with your new team & not sniffing the Superb Owl.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Very good player and a tough one to lose. But I'm also excited to see where we go at WR, and who the FO and coaches can unearth. I expect us to get bigger, at least.

drdiags

Reaction score
I have to agree with those that say unless you know what the Seahawks offered compared to what the Lions signed him for, getting pissed about his "discount" statement is just about being pissed period. He never should have said anything. His comment helped put Bennett in a defensive mode, since the national guys wanted to know if he would do the same thing regarding a home town discount Tate alluded to. But they caught Tate right after the Superbowl parade. Lesson learned.

Maybe he should have given you mugs a percentage discount he would take. He did try to clean up his slip by saying "a small discount". If the Seahawks offered what some thought was a reasonable deal of ~$4.5M vs the >$6M Detroit gave him, you have to just let that slide. Also, the guarantee money is what really matters to these guys. $13.5M guarantee. What was the Seahawks? $9M?

cboom

Reaction score
VancitySeahawk":3fyjwwzp said:
I thought he played poor in the playoffs. Oh well, it is still sad to see him go.

I guess we are drafting a WR in the first round now?
e

Considering two of our productive receivers went undrafted I doubt a receiver in the first round will be considered a must. Now if one of the WR's they really want is still there I bet they take him.

McGruff

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3nhvnyxs said:
davidonmi":3nhvnyxs said:
can someone with some knowledge on this stuff say what we'll get in terms of compensation?

He will definitely qualify for a comp pick. We won't really know until UFA period is over. With so many big contracts being floated around, it's tough to read yet. We also have to weed through the contracts of released players because those don't factor into the comp equation. And we'll have to subtract whatever UFA qualifiers we have yet to sign.

I'd expect a 6M+ contract to merit a 5th round comp. There are plenty of 4m contracts going around -- I expect those to kind of be the upper threshold of 6th round comps. Usually a 1m contract merits a 7th. This year that could be up around 1.5m.

No picks gained from compensatory free agents until 2015 . . .

As of right now we've lost 4 and gained none . . .
Tate
Schofield
Maragos
McDonald

Clemons, Bryant and Rice will not count in the process since they were released. Breno is probably the only remaining free agent that will get a large enough offer to gain a significant pick (although Schofield's was a surprise).

Laloosh

Reaction score
@davebirkett 4m
Tate said he's excited to be in a pass-first offense "especially coming from a run heavy offense that all the notoriety went to the defense"

Anthony!

Reaction score
IF we did indeed offer him a 5 year 35 mil deal with 17 mil guaranteed, and he took a lesser deal, than the whole wanting stay was wrong. However given we do not throw the ball as much, and now he is in a throw first offense, he can get more opportunities and maybe more stats. Hard to argue. This is one of the reasons I am concerned about Rw. He will never be able to be great or considered great in our offense as is. SO he might look to leave to go to a more pass orientated team. Not to mention we have shown little drive to improve the offense beside Harvin. O-line sucks at pass blocking has for 2 years and we have not done much to improve that. Now we are down a WR and punt returner.