Going in to Camp, positional concerns

The Breh

Reaction score
I think LB might be better off than we're anticipating. I think between how the front is going to be utilized it'll help them immensely.
Both those FA signings rank better than what we had last year based on last years performances.
Anyone who listens to Corbin can attest how Rhattigan looked last month in OTA's, and while it's not an indicator of pad play, it sounded like it was mental portion of where to be and when. Tipping passes/INT isn't what I'd expect to hear but glad we did.
And I'm general, there's a reason Knight was taken over other prospects.
If they can grasp Mike's vision, I think we can be in for a surprise.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I think LB might be better off than we're anticipating. I think between how the front is going to be utilized it'll help them immensely.
Both those FA signings rank better than what we had last year based on last years performances.
Anyone who listens to Corbin can attest how Rhattigan looked last month in OTA's, and while it's not an indicator of pad play, it sounded like it was mental portion of where to be and when. Tipping passes/INT isn't what I'd expect to hear but glad we did.
Let’s be honest, Corbin is as blue sky as it gets. Whatever he reports, you have to take away 50% of the positive he says. I like him but he is never down on any player. He thought the I drafted DT was going to be a star for us, only to see us cut him.

The Breh

Reaction score
Let’s be honest, Corbin is as blue sky as it gets. Whatever he reports, you have to take away 50% of the positive he says. I like him but he is never down on any player. He thought the I drafted DT was going to be a star for us, only to see us cut him.
He's no Dave Wyman tho, that's for sure.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
The only positions I'm concerned with are:

QB
RB
OL
TE
LB
CB
FS
SS

...the rest are fine, so I think we'll win the Super Bowl.

I'll steal your list and just remove RB/TE. Not worried about those. I think it was scheme/OL problem with the running game. As for TE, not a make or break a team position.

But the rest, yeah, question marks abound.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score

I truly hope you are right!

However, with both presumptive starters on these sidelines with injuries u til TC I have legitimate concerns that the depth isn’t there. At least the backups are getting reps in the new system.

Still think the team may add a player or two at least to bolster the depth through TC.

Reaction score
Not really worried about anything too much. Linebackers will be fine. Both presumptive starters are just nursing seasonal injuries. They are vets and smart and by all accounts hard working leaders. Come game one they will be good to go.

Depth is a significant issue there. No idea how the Knight kid fits. Not very big, not very fast, not rangy, questionable in coverage. He seems like a strict between the tackles guy, when our target in FA was more versatile rangy cover guys.

LG I have questions about unless they flip Haynes there. That’s about the only starting OL position that worries me. I am excited about the youth and trust Grubb and Huff

I will be interested to see the front 5 rotation. Lots of depth there. Loads of versatility. Just not sure where they will all play.

Jville

Reaction score

Special Teams also matters ..... especially this year with the big change on kickoffs. Rhattigan, and his leadership, figures to have been groomed to be Nick Bellfore's follow on replacement. Smart player. Logging nineteen short yardage snaps on defense and 303 special teams snaps.

Watching Tyrice Knight develop is going to be a joy to watch.

toffee

Reaction score
IOL and ILB.

As is, our OL is ranked #32 or last in the league by PFF. For our OL to take a big leap forward, we need a few IFs: if Cross could play like he's a top 15 LT, if Laken Tomlinson regains his youth; if Olu could be adequate; if Bradford or Haynes who hasn't practiced with 1st team yet to establish themselves, if Lucas can come back strong. A lot of Ifs here.

Jville

Reaction score
There was limited continuity from game one on in last year's offensive line. Brief and temporary chemistry from game to game. Playing hurt degrades execution. Resulting in diminished opportunity for stand out blocking combos to develop. Injuries matter.

Looking forward ....... John Schneider has the offensive line at an interesting point in its cycle. Number #1 as most affordable cap number in the league. A very young group with 3 chosen veterans added to cultivate tackle, guard and center positions .... and chemistry.

With 17 offensive linemen currently on the roster, watching the evolution of this years offensive line is going to be fun to watch. Lots of combinations for Scott Huff to explore and evaluate.

Where some see concerns. Others see opportunities.