Geno Trade Value?

Chevy

Reaction score
Dismissive and excuses?

I read the opinions. My opinion is that we aren’t getting a 2nd rounder for Geno.

Now, if I happen to be wrong, I’ll come back to this thread and put in the old ‘eat crow’ apology.

But we know that’s not happening now. Don’t we?

It is funny that you had to edit your post that I had quoted you. You deleted the part where you said...I don't have time to read all the opinions/comments on this post topic. And now you are saying you read the opinions, revisionist history is nice to make you look better in an debate.

Too bad this website did away where you could see when someone made an edit to their comment. Now its like cheating in a debate and delete things you have been called out on.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Wow, you really are that invested in what says on the internet?

Chevy

Reaction score
What is the upside for the Steelers or Falcons wanting Geno Smith? Even if they were in 'win now' mode, he isn't that guy. I'm honestly having a hard time seeing the appeal for Geno at all at this point. He's an older, perennial backup, average QB and nothing more. He made sense for Seattle because they had no backup plan in place when Wilson left. Other teams, not so much.

I just going off what is being reported or talked about in those franchise fan bases. Those two teams and now I read/heard the Patriots want a veteran QB as well.

He isn't that guy is your opinion....and mine. But, he is still a nice QB for a team that thinks they are getting the 2022 Geno. Again, of the available QBs through trade or free agency, Geno or Wilson are the best options for those teams.

Chevy

Reaction score
2nd for geno lmao

Some of you are unbelievable and in dire need of a reality check. NOBODY is trading for Geno even a 7th , unless it's for a starter in training camp or mid season, and it STILL wouldn't be more than a 4th and Wed lose a lot of the cap benefit by then
Okay, thanks for the definitive statement. You are such good debater.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong…I’d take a 2nd in a heartbeat. That’s absolutely not a knock on Geno.

I know JS said he thinks this team is close talent wise. He’s thrown smokescreens before. I’m in the line of thinking that the FO believes we’re a few years out. Unless JS is sold on a guy, I don’t know who this team could get that’s on par or better than Geno for what we’re paying him. Throwing a rookie QB to the wolves, with our O-line in the state it is, sounds like a terrible idea.

Everyone is saying this is the year to grab a QB. “How” is my question. We could be looking at the 4th or 5th rated QB at 16. Predictions are hit and miss ofc…but that scenario doesn’t sound appealing…at all.

Unless we sell the future, we don’t have excess draft capital to do something crazy…perhaps thats in the form of a trade that involves a player we likely can’t afford to lose.

Maybe JS pulls some magic out of the mid to late rounds. Otherwise, we can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which comes true.
Oh I 100% agree with the totality of your post. I agree that I don't see an attainable QB I'm sold on and absolutely zero acceptable starters for next year that are not Geno Smith. It is a terrible, terrible idea to take any of the prospects that'll be at 16 and throw them in year 1. My only point is that I think a second rounder is the value based on historical precedent. I'd detest any attempt to cut or trade Geno Smith in a year with a new regime that needs results out of the gate to legitimize their claim to the franchise.

To go further down this line of thought, without pulling punches:

The misconceptions about Geno's play drive me up the f****** wall. It is impossible to frame his play as badly as most of the fanbase does with any supporting data or supporting film. It's all confirmation bias to fit the view most had of Geno Smith for his entire career until 2022. Priors don't go away and human pattern recognition is going to make any and all individual subpar plays, regardless of fault or frequency of those bad plays compared to other quarterbacks, feel like a justification of their priors.

"Geno takes too many sacks" yet is absolutely elite, especially this past season, at sack avoidance compared to pressure rates he faced. "Geno turns the ball over too much" despite being solidly above average at ball security in his tenure here. "Geno isn't clutch" despite factually being the best quarterback in the history of the buttf*****g NFL last year when it came to go-ahead touchdown passes late in games. Lock will be worse, or on par, to Geno in any of those categories and the same thing will be framed as "Wow! He deserves a shot, and Pete Carroll conspired against him for no reason because idk he's a FRIEND OF PETE or something!"

There are very valid Geno critiques, but the ones that are popular to harp on are based on nothing but validating whichever opinion the people throwing these critiques had before Geno took over here. I mean hell, I watched people blame Geno (less here, more on twitter and facebook from casuals) for the Cowboys loss despite throwing an excellent game, having an above-90 QBR, taking zero sacks despite being faced with pressure on FIFTY. FOUR. PERCENT. of his dropbacks, and keeping Michael Dickson on the bench ALL GAME while putting up 35 points. I watched him win close games against the Commanders and Lions and then the fanbase at large throw that out of their memory to keep the "will Geno FINALLY win a game in the clutch??" angle alive. I watched people neg the record for go-ahead touchdowns as "well if he didn't SUCK he wouldn't be in a position to have to win the game for us!"

It's all priors. It is all a confirmation of priors, and it doesn't mesh with a "student of the game" mindset. Just human nature, and it's hard to override.

Legitimately no offense meant to people here who do want to move on from Geno, and this is to no one in particular. I just hate illogical arguments against him and I hate when people can't back them up with anything other than "umm haha I get you don't know ball" or whatever the f deflection is hopped to these days.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What is the upside for the Steelers or Falcons wanting Geno Smith? Even if they were in 'win now' mode, he isn't that guy. I'm honestly having a hard time seeing the appeal for Geno at all at this point. He's an older, perennial backup, average QB and nothing more. He made sense for Seattle because they had no backup plan in place when Wilson left. Other teams, not so much.
The Falcons especially have the potential for a fantastic base personnel package on offense and need a quarterback to drop into it. They just need a receiver and are in a spot to grab one.

They're a team sold out by horrible quarterback play and otherwise need just a few pieces before they can be genuine competitors. Drop Geno in and they've got a shot.

Chevy

Reaction score
At first I wasn’t sure but, after this post I see you’re trying to pick a fight.

So, I was at a high school basketball game and did not have a good connection when I made the post about not being able to read everything. Too bad you’re making an effort to criticize me not having the ability to read the entire post and at the same time, you’re too lazy, or stupid, to do your own research. It wasn’t deleted spanky.

For those who are too lazy

Additionally, “…cheating in a debate”? It’s an online forum…full of opinions. You still can’t answer the question logically.

I usually don’t come at people in an online forum as it proves nothing. But, you’re special….and you definitely don’t have a solid answer to the question(s) I asked before.

I don’t have anymore time to waste on you.

Oh…I edited this. I was walking my dog…voice to text…so sorry.

Just call your bad or ignore it, yet you keep embellishing your argument/ excuse.

Your quote..."when I made the post about not being able to read everything"....you deleted that from the post I quoted you on! And now you said you are saying you were at a basketball game with bad connection. Yes it was deleted because you just confirmed it. Otherwise how would I have know you didn't read all the comments, unless you had actually said it?

Another quote from you, "Dismissive and excuses? I read the opinions." Which is it?

Your quote, "So, I was at a high school basketball game and did not have a good connection when I made the post about not being able to read everything".

And now you are just calling me names like a teenager. Just own your stuff dude.

Of the two of use I presented what is being said and talked about from other teams/fans, and you are just giving your opinion.

GemCity

Reaction score
Just call your bad or ignore it, yet you keep embellishing your argument/ excuse.

Your quote..."when I made the post about not being able to read everything"....you deleted that from the post I quoted you on! And now you said you are saying you were at a basketball game with bad connection. Yes it was deleted because you just confirmed it. Otherwise how would I have know you didn't read all the comments, unless you had actually said it?

Another quote from you, "Dismissive and excuses? I read the opinions." Which is it?

Your quote, "So, I was at a high school basketball game and did not have a good connection when I made the post about not being able to read everything".

And now you are just calling me names like a teenager. Just own your stuff dude.

Of the two of use I presented what is being said and talked about from other teams/fans, and you are just giving your opinion.
Chevy…I don’t know how you roped me into whatever it is you’re referring to, but I made a comment about getting a 2nd rounder for Geno in reference to Mael’s post…and it wasn’t even an actually reply to any post in this entire thread!

The ONLY place I mentioned not being able to read the entire thread…was in the post that I just linked in response to you.

What would deleting that part do in the first place? You’ve got me really, really, confused.

Chevy

Reaction score
Chevy…I don’t know how you roped me into whatever it is you’re referring to, but I made a comment about getting a 2nd rounder for Geno in reference to Mael’s post…and it wasn’t even an actually reply to any post in this entire thread!

The ONLY place I mentioned not being able to read the entire thread…was in the post that I just linked in response to you.

What would deleting that part do in the first place? You’ve got me really, really, confused.

Ok, Gem... We are Seahawks fans family. Family argue. Water under the bridge.

Have a good rest of your weekend...Go Hawks

GemCity

Reaction score
Ok, Gem... We are Seahawks fans family. Family argue. Water under the bridge.

Have a good rest of your weekend...Go Hawks
I just went back and I think I know what you may have been thinking.

My comment about smoking and a 2nd rounder wasn’t in reference to your post ( when you were discussing ATL). When I first hit the thread, all I saw was one of Mael’s comments and bits of another post…I was only able to reply due to my connection at the gym.

I don’t recall deleting anything but….if I did, it wasn’t trying to be “shady” as there isn’t anything in this thread to be embarrassingly wrong about!!

All my dirt is on here…my me3 loving days, ecstasy for the JA trade. All of it 😂.

My apologies Chevy. The name calling was wrong. I was just totally confused as this was the first time I replied to you, in recent memory, after I saw your quote in this thread.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I just going off what is being reported or talked about in those franchise fan bases. Those two teams and now I read/heard the Patriots want a veteran QB as well.

He isn't that guy is your opinion....and mine. But, he is still a nice QB for a team that thinks they are getting the 2022 Geno. Again, of the available QBs through trade or free agency, Geno or Wilson are the best options for those teams.

I'm sure those teams are more interested in Cousins or Mayfield more so than somebody like Smith. You know, QB's with upside that have actually done something in the NFL. I just can't see any team in the league gambling on their future with a QB like Geno Smith. He's quickly running out of time to prove me wrong.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
They're a team sold out by horrible quarterback play and otherwise need just a few pieces before they can be genuine competitors. Drop Geno in and they've got a shot.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. I also don't think their as close as you think they are especially now with a brand new regime.

Chevy

Reaction score
I'm sure those teams are more interested in Cousins or Mayfield more so than somebody like Smith. You know, QB's with upside that have actually done something in the NFL. I just can't see any team in the league gambling on their future with a QB like Geno Smith. He's quickly running out of time to prove me wrong.

I read Mayfield is re-signing. Cousins is older than Geno, by 2 years. Cousins less tread on his tires than Geno. Also Cousins is coming off an injury. But Cousins may be more appealing and cheaper than Geno.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I read Mayfield is re-signing. Cousins is older than Geno, by 2 years. Cousins less tread on his tires than Geno. Also Cousins is coming off an injury. But Cousins may be more appealing and cheaper than Geno.

Cousins is more desirable though because he's better and no way in hell is he going to be cheaper than Geno.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. I also don't think their as close as you think they are especially now with a brand new regime.
Just in terms of offensive personnel I mean. Good OL, 2 great tight ends, one of the better RB duos in the NFL...

I don't think they get anywhere with their current coaching staff regardless, but Geno even in 2023 looks like Montana compared to what Ridder has been doing.

Chevy

Reaction score
Cousins is more desirable though because he's better and no way in hell is he going to be cheaper than Geno.

Well, Mr. No Way in Hell... Cousins is coming off an injury and he is older.

bigcc

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the definitive statement. You are such good debater.
I wasn't looking for a debate. He's more likely to be cut than reel in a 2nd.

Honestly, if Schneider is offered a SECOND round pick for geno before the roster bonus and doesn't take it, that should be grounds for termination.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
To me the real killing of discourse is to suggest that Geno is worth a 2nd round pick on the open market. To suggest that is so ridiculous it kills all back and forth instantly

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
To me the real killing of discourse is to suggest that Geno is worth a 2nd round pick on the open market. To suggest that is so ridiculous it kills all back and forth instantly
Says the guy not engaging with any of the actual arguments about the precedents for that valuation, and instead dismissing it instantly as ridiculous with no logical counter whatsoever.

Open to hearing you out if you've got anything other than shitty little drive-bys.

Last edited:

12forlife

Reaction score
I’m not taking Geno over any of the guys listed below. I think most are obvious and some just have more upside. If Richardson didn’t get hurt he was going to have a monster year.

Allen
Mahomes
Purdy
Goff
burrow
Herbert
Stafford
Dak
Lamar
Richardson
Stroud
Lawrence
Love
Tua
Hurts
Mayfield
With a realistic shot at 6 rookies having more upside?