Geno named starting QB vs Steelers

BlueTalon

Reaction score
We know exactly what we will look like with Geno at QB because we experienced it last year.
Except we didn't. Not really. Yes, we saw Geno play in a few games, but he didn't have a whole offseason where he was anything but a pine rider. This year is different. This year he has a legitimate shot at earning the starting job, and he's getting reps with the 1s. Lots of them. That just didn't happen last year until he was already thrown into a game.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
It's early but it just seems so weird. Pete keeps talking up Drew Lock, but then when asked who's starting "Geno".

Must be something with the reads, calling protections etc cause consensus I am reading seems to be Lock was the better QB at the scrimmage too. I guess we all get to comment based on what we see after tomorrow.

sutz

Reaction score
All head coaches are cagy when talking about players health and assignments. I've always suspected that Lock was a bit more than a throw-in in the Russ deal. I think Pete & John see something in him with promise and figure they have 1 year to test him while maintaining a huge store of picks for next year to use on a QB if Drew flops.

As for who start pre-season game 1, I don't read a lot into it. Who starts game 2 and especially game 3 will tell us more.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Something I thought of regarding Geno's play last year when I was listening to a a preview podcast and heard how high the Saints D was ranked last year. I am also a person who takes the Jacksonville game and great numbers for Geno with a grain of salt cause it was Jacksonville. But if we discount a performance against a poor team, would not a poor game vs a top D also be an outlier? If you go back to the 2019 season, last time we played this version of the Saints, the offense struggled with Russ at QB too. Just something for consideration

Rosco

Reaction score
It's early but it just seems so weird. Pete keeps talking up Drew Lock, but then when asked who's starting "Geno".

Must be something with the reads, calling protections etc cause consensus I am reading seems to be Lock was the better QB at the scrimmage too. I guess we all get to comment based on what we see after tomorrow.
Carroll is giving Smith every opportunity due to the fact Geno Smith will likely get cut from the team if he loses the starting job.

Ruminator

Reaction score

May seem weird, but could actually be the perfect plan. Put Lock in later in the game when there are fewer Stealer starters on the field so that his earliest opportunity to acclimatize to the 'Hawks offense has a better chance. And then they can progress from there in subsequent games.

sc85sis

Reaction score
May seem weird, but could actually be the perfect plan. Put Lock in later in the game when there are fewer Stealer starters on the field so that his earliest opportunity to acclimatize to the 'Hawks offense has a better chance. And then they can progress from there in subsequent games.
They did much the same with Russ. He came in after Flynn. Based on how he showed in preseason games and practice (and with Flynn having some sort of arm soreness), he got a chance to start a preseason game. And the rest is history.