Geno is great but should he be eligible for come back player ??

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Calling all semantic attics but I don’t really get how geno winning player of the year (he just got an award for comeback player of first half of season) is in the spirit of the award.

Comeback players should be for players that were previously good in the nfl, had a down period of time and are now good (Barkley for example)

Obviously not a big deal but just came to mind reading he won the mid season award.

sutz

Reaction score
I know. Technically I don't think his situation qualifies. To me it is more about returning from injury or something.

Oh well, I'll take the props for one of our guys. Usually we get shafted on this kind of crap.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Calling all semantic attics but I don’t really get how geno winning player of the year (he just got an award for comeback player of first half of season) is in the spirit of the award.

Comeback players should be for players that were previously good in the nfl, had a down period of time and are now good (Barkley for example)

Obviously not a big deal but just came to mind reading he won the mid season award.

Well, he was a starter at one point.
Sat the bench for a significant amount of time.
Now he’s starting and playing pretty well.
Are we sure that doesn’t qualify him?

Mick063

Reaction score
Good Lord. You would NEVER, EVER see a Cowboys or Patriots fan concede any kind of postseason accolade with such a pathetic display of Stockholm syndrome. No wonder Seahawks never win any award of a national scope. Even their fans are against them. With SEMANTICS. Understandable why Russ wanted out and called Denver "A city that wants to win". I can now see where that thought process came from.

I have great idea. How about we let Geno REDEFINE what the award is. Instead of capitulating to the New York press.....again.

Last edited:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The award is subjective. It's a wide umbrella. What does comeback player mean to you? To the next person?

I am just happy he is up for the award no matter the semantics.

Mick063

Reaction score
The award is subjective. It's a wide umbrella. What does comeback player mean to you? To the next person?

Exactly right. If you can't record a quantifiable measurement (meaning the use of numbers), it is NOT science, and there is nothing measurable about a beauty contest. 100% subjective. Like judging the NBA all-star dunk contest. The three-point contest? Measurable with hard numbers. An undeniable clear winner. The dunk contest? Just another beauty contest. No numbers. No measurables. Someone's opinion.

Why would you argue against your favorite team in a BEAUTY contest? I mean every one of those pretty, bikini clad gals are drop dead gorgeous. Why not pick the one from your own state? Why argue against the gal that you are supposedly a "fan" of? Because a talking head on TV told you to?

Why argue against Geno? Because some 24/7 podcast profiteer has run out of things to talk about, so he decided that the "Comeback Player Award" should suddenly become controversial? You know what that podcaster is probably thinking? New York is a bigger radio market. Let's see if I can muck things up a bit and sneak Saquan Barkley in there on a technicality. More clicks baby.

Last edited:

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
How about just "Player of the Year"? Dump the Comeback part? ;)

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Some odd posts in this thread imo. Somehow it's considered a virtue to not be objective now? I just support my player getting an award because he's my player, and not care if it makes sense in the context of the award?

I love Geno and how he's playing this year but I stand by my thread.

For a player to be the comeback player of the year they need to "come back" from previously being a good player in the league. That seems obvious to me.

keasley45

Reaction score
Some odd posts in this thread imo. Somehow it's considered a virtue to not be objective now? I just support my player getting an award because he's my player, and not care if it makes sense in the context of the award?

I love Geno and how he's playing this year but I stand by my thread.

For a player to be the comeback player of the year they need to "come back" from previously being a good player in the league. That seems obvious to me.

I think it says you have to comeback from poor play prior to the 'comeback' year. I dont see where it says you had to be good.

And... its highly subjective and a 'feel good' award. Geno qualifies I think. And a lot of talking heads are saying he's a front runner.

JPatera76

Reaction score

best way to think about is, its as subjective as what qualifies as a completed catch. Lol

Reaction score
Does no one remember the draft in which Geno was picked (39th overall, 2nd QB)…in the second round…because he “fell”. Drafted by an NFL spotlight team like the Jets…he’s a friggin’ NFL starting QB from jump, with the world on his shoulders based on draft status and hot media attention…meme level jokes when a teammate broke his jaw and relegated to career backup…to emerge eight years later as a superstar, dime-dropping god…and people are gonna muse over whether he’s worthy of a bronze tier ‘comeback player of the year award’? Who the hell are you moles? Blind as hell and under a rock…heard a rumble and just throw it up out your gut like it’s your own thought? Grow a brain. If he doesn’t win that award, Seattle must really be Egypt…where the hell is that, anyway?

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

More like breakout season, finally.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Drafted in the high 2nd round, started for a bit, benched. Put on the shelf for close to a decade and is now a pro bowl calibre QB. Not hard to figure out.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
I see in no way how somebody that's good gets hurt and then recovers from the injury to magically be good again even compares anywhere in the universe to someone have a rough start and has a few good games , still doesn't get it , has a few bad games n then good again , has a teammate blow up his life , meander around the dustbin of the nfl , warm the bench of a team for years , get his chance and instantly be better than a pro-bowl QB a team had for almost a decade not be one of the best , if not the best comeback player of the year
Unlike a few other QB's he didn't go play canadian football or nfl europe and get to keep his chops up , he had to do it playing with scout team players and very little time in pre season for 7 or 8 years
Best comeback player of the year story in a decade easliy
Go Hawks
Hopefully that clears it up for ya lol :LOL:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If Geno isn’t the comeback player, what does that award even mean? Dude spent half a decade on the bench.

sc85sis

Reaction score
He has come back from being stuck in scout team purgatory to being a starter - and a damned good one at that.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
If Geno isn’t the comeback player, what does that award even mean? Dude spent half a decade on the bench.
The big question is come back to what? He was never good to begin with. Playing at this high of a level now doesn’t seem to me to be the spirit of the award. Barkley should be the front runner for this. Geno will have to be satisfied with a giant new contract, his trademarked phrase which should sell lots of merch, and a renaissance of football success.