Geno fined by NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
It was a dirty tackle. The guy unnecessarily dropped his whole body weight on the backside of Geno's legs out of bounds. True, such a tackle is still legal in the NFL, though it shouldn't be much longer if the league truly cares about player's safety. Florio and Simms addressed this kind of tackle on their show this week. I'm glad Geno called the player out on it. Flags would have been flying had it been Mahomes tackled that way. You can bank on that.
Again, the league has brought up making that play illegal. The NFLPA, the players, have opposed making it illegal. Point the finger at the players, not the league, for that kind of tackle being legal. If it had been the Seahawks flagged for the exact same thing, the same people complaining about how dirty of a tackle it was would instead be yelling about his it isn't even a foul.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Hmm, So it's not a dirty play? a cheap shot on a Quarterback who is going out of bounds?
Sorry, but players intentionally doing the "Hip Drop Tackles" KNOWING that it's possible to F#$* someone up is Chickens#*t.
There's a reason why 'Horse Collar Tackles' among other dirty plays are being flagged-> Protect The Players, and cut down on the chances of maybe ending someone's Season, or Career.
THEN *maybe* <the ^NFLPA^> "who" aRe ThE (PLAYERS) reps $H@ULD agree TO EKAM< it a "foul" SiNcE THEY're the 1s WH0 R @ RISK frummmm iT.

LOL, he wasn't even a QB anymore on that play, he was a receiver.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Guess if Geno was a Top 3 recognized QB - might have gotten the flag. But that old conspiracy theory is rearing it's head again ;)
No one respects Geno as an elite QB. Hard to get those calls otherwise. Especially if you have some wheels.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Yea, I read that -

I guess I'm biased - but the big problem that I have with it, isn't whether the issue of the Hip Drop Tackle is evil, bad, or worthy of banning, or enforceable, or will 'confuse' the fanbase (NFL words), but the fact that the guy who got jacked is the one who got fined.

Didn't they start talking about this because of Mahomes? Sounds like the OPI/DPI or lack thereof challengeability from the Saints debacle. When it happens to the big guys - all of a sudden there's handwringing - but it's for show, and it goes away.

Anyhow - rant aside - my problem here is with fining the victim.

I trust Geno - and aside from my hatred of a few other QBs (less and less with Brady gone and Rodgers out!) the QB's generally know when it's dirty. And it didn't pass the eyeball test with me.

NY might be a bunch of wanna be gangsters but the dude needed a flag on the play. In the spirit of the play - if not the letter of the regulations.

Just my opinion. And, if it was us that had made 'that' tackle - I still would say the same thing. Dirty shit doesn't fly well with me - whether they are doing it or us.
Yeah, but Geno wasn't fined for being a victim. He wasn't fined for anything he did or said to the player on the field. He wasn't even fined for anything that occurred in the same half as the tackle. He was flagged and fined for, after a whole halftime+ later, yelling at pointing at the opposing sideline which has been a point of emphasis for the past 3 seasons. DK got the same treatment in week 1 as well, so the players are well aware of the consequences of doing it. There's pretty much zero tolerance for it and Geno had more than enough time to internalize it and cool off.

RBs like Watters and Lynch punished defenders when they were at the sidelines instead of stepping out. Maybe next time the DB hesitates and he gets a needed extra half yard or so. Likewise defenders like, and have a right, to hit players at the sidelines to make them feel like stepping out of bounds earlier. Geno was a runner at that moment, having caught his own pass. The defender has a right to make any legal play he wants to to not only stop him but to make him want to step out of bounds earlier next time. I didn't see anything from the NFLPA saying they thought this was a dirty hit and they want to get those kinds of hits out of the game. They have opposed the league making that kind of play a foul.

I appreciate that you'd feel the same if the roles were reversed. It's a factor very lacking here. If the Hawks were flagged for it, I'd be pissed, as would the majority of the people (unironically) who are loudly upset that it wasn't a flag for the Giants.

Xxx

Reaction score
It was a nasty tackle, but I don’t think the guy intentionally did it out of bounds. He was doing all he could to make the tackle. Maybe his awareness sucked, but he sure wasn’t gonna bring geno down any other way. I also thought it was a slow awkward tackle that began before geno got out of bounds and just continued too long (but not long enough for a flag). Again I just think the defender was unaware of his position on the field. Also, the hip drop is not yet illegal, maybe it needs to be, but I know there are times that all the defender can do is hang on and drop his weight hoping to drag the guy to the ground. Was it nasty, yeah, but dirty implies intent to hurt someone and I don’t think the defender was thinking about hurting geno. Sometimes I even think geno has an entitlement to his reactions. He gets angry quick and seems to hold on to his anger

NoGain

Reaction score
It was a nasty tackle, but I don’t think the guy intentionally did it out of bounds. He was doing all he could to make the tackle. Maybe his awareness sucked, but he sure wasn’t gonna bring geno down any other way.
I just didn't see it that way. I could easily see that tackle being made effectively that didn't end the way it did. Difference of opinion, I guess.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
He wasn't looked at as a QB during the run, because he caught the ball on the batted pass. So, that part of the argument needs to be put aside.
Nah, Quarterback or no, going out of bounds = player giving up.
Unnecessary dirty play.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
It was a dirty tackle. The guy unnecessarily dropped his whole body weight on the backside of Geno's legs out of bounds. True, such a tackle is still legal in the NFL, though it shouldn't be much longer if the league truly cares about player's safety. Florio and Simms addressed this kind of tackle on their show this week. I'm glad Geno called the player out on it. Flags would have been flying had it been Mahomes tackled that way. You can bank on that.
Yep...it's that kind of dirty play tactic that would likely gotten him a Reward from Payton & the Saints a few years back eh?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
You might not necessarily been saying that, but the people I was responding to (that you quoted in response to me) were. I, the refs, the league and the players' association all say it wasn't a foul. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, but that doesn't make an opinion valid.

You say you aren't saying "that" but then you say "that" is half the reasons why people are upset? There was zero reason for a fine, so that's consistent and they have been entirely consistent with flagging and fining players for involving the other sideline, as they have for the previous two seasons.
The NFL didn't used to flag 'Horse Collar Tackles' either but it was finally RECOGNIZED as a dirty play that can and did cause unnecessary injuries....This Drag & Drop Tackle is just as egregious for the same damned reason.
The League not yet recognizing it doesn't make it any less a dirty play & says something about the Character (or lack thereof) of the guys that resort to purposely trying to mess another player up.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Exactly one of my points. If it's the wonder-boy the play gets a flag.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Exactly one of my points. If it's the wonder-boy the play gets a flag.
To add as someone esle posted earlier, there was nowhere else Geno was going too, he was clearly headed out of bounds. Running that way, facing that way.. hell had a foot out of bound by the time the defender reached him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
As long as there wasn't a suspension, I'm not going to get worked up about a fine, which in this case, is a little less than $11k, which is peanuts to a person making millions.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
The NFL didn't used to flag 'Horse Collar Tackles' either but it was finally RECOGNIZED as a dirty play that can and did cause unnecessary injuries....This Drag & Drop Tackle is just as egregious for the same damned reason.
The League not yet recognizing it doesn't make it any less a dirty play & says something about the Character (or lack thereof) of the guys that resort to purposely trying to mess another player up.
LOL, Dude, if a Seahawk was flagged for it you would absolutely be the loudest person screaming about the league being against Seattle for throwing a flag on a legal, clean play.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
As long as there wasn't a suspension, I'm not going to get worked up about a fine, which in this case, is a little less than $11k, which is peanuts to a person making millions.
And it’s one he knew he was going to get. He made that choice.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
To add as someone esle posted earlier, there was nowhere else Geno was going too, he was clearly headed out of bounds. Running that way, facing that way.. hell had a foot out of bound by the time the defender reached him.
Clearly, LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2902.png
    IMG_2902.png
    465.7 KB · Views: 20

NoGain

Reaction score
LOL, Dude, if a Seahawk was flagged for it you would absolutely be the loudest person screaming about the league being against Seattle for throwing a flag on a legal, clean play.
That's a weak argument, or, better put, no argument at all. The issue isn't the team you're rooting for, it's whether or not the play/kind of tackle is one that should be ruled out in the name of player safety.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
That's a weak argument, or, better put, no argument at all. The issue isn't the team you're rooting for, it's whether or not the play/kind of tackle is one that should be ruled out in the name of player safety.
There can be and are multiple issues being discussed. There are some posters with little to no objectivity whose opinion on whether it’s a dirty play or not depends on which team commits it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
There can be and are multiple issues being discussed. There are some posters with little to no objectivity whose opinion on whether it’s a dirty play or not depends on which team commits it.
I didn't think it was a dirty play. It was close, but the initial contact was made in bounds and the hip slide wasn't intentional as the tackler was already going to the ground. But I can see where Geno, with his back turned and unable to see how and why the tackle was made, could think it was dirty and I don't blame him for spouting off about it, at least initially during the heat of the moment. Where he made his mistake and what drew the penalty and subsequent fine was when he returned to the field minutes afterwards and continued jacking his jaws.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I didn't think it was a dirty play. It was close, but the initial contact was made in bounds and the hip slide wasn't intentional as the tackler was already going to the ground. But I can see where Geno, with his back turned and unable to see how and why the tackle was made, could think it was dirty and I don't blame him for spouting off about it, at least initially during the heat of the moment. Where he made his mistake and what drew the penalty and subsequent fine was when he returned to the field minutes afterwards and continued jacking his jaws.
Of course Geno did. It's different to be a player on th receiving end to it vs random internet dudes who've had a week to rewatch as many times they care to. Some clearly should rewatch it if they think the contact that started inbounds occurred with one foot out of bounds. Our memories are wildly imperfect and our inclinations can color our recollections.

The timeline for his penalty is much longer than a few minutes. The play happened around 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter and his penalty wasn't until 2 minutes into the 3rd. That's close to 40-45 minutes of real time to compartmentalize it and be a professional and leader. There's absolutely no justification for it, he knows it's a penalty and he knows it does nothing but help the other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.