Geno’s Back

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Trading draft capitol to move up in the draft to get a potential QBOTF doesn’t help this team at all. At least for ‘24. There are way too many holes on both sides of the ball that packaging picks for a player who MIGHT be the QBOTF only weakens the team and renders any QB guy picked as a potential bust based on his inability to lead the team because of the crap around him.
Have some of you forgotten how horribly bad the defense was? Or the problems on the IOL?

There are arguably 5-6 serviceable QBs who are free agents this off season. Couple that with the 6 potential first round draftable QBs and we see 11-12 guys that will probably be new starters for whatever teams draft or sign them. That’s a third of the teams in the league right there.

Keeping Geno in the stable is the best thing for this team in the near future. It gives them a top half of the league QB while allowing the team to fill in holes and build up the team.

The last two drafts have been well received and by most accounts have been successes. If the ‘24 draft is even close to the last two, then they are positioning themselves for a future run with Geno as the bridge and then whomever it might be in ‘25 or ‘26.

However, all bets are off if JS sees one of the draftable QBs in the same light as he saw Mahomes and Allen.

BTW, I’m loving this offseason and the unpredictability it brings. I guess Pete was predictable in pretty much everything.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Probably Dan Viens, Rob Staton, and Corbin Smith.
I like Dan myself. He's probably my favorite.

I enjoy Real Hawk Talk (Nemhauser). It's a good podcast. Corbin also is good at what he does. But his commentary can be a little dry. I'm not really a fan of the 'Locked on' stuff.

Staton not so much lol.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I’m really curious about the phrase, “he will remain on the roster through this week”. That’s just a strange addition to saying his ‘24 salary is guaranteed.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's the right move. It doesn't at all preclude the team from drafting a qb this year if Grubb gets a shot at Penix. At this point I'd say that's likely their plan, along with letting Lock sign somewhere else if he chooses to. Whether Penix is there when we select or not is a huge question mark. Everybody in the league knows that if he's there, we will select him. That's not a good recipe for success, as every potential trade partner will jack up their price and anyone considering him in the first will be ready to pounce.

I’m not convinced they will take Penix. I think Grubb would love to but when McDonald talked what he wants it wasn’t a Penix type at the position. Brock said Nix matches almost to a tee what Macdonald described and I think he’s right. I would love a QB at 16 and I’ll trust them with whoever it is.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Trading draft capitol to move up in the draft to get a potential QBOTF doesn’t help this team at all. At least for ‘24. There are way too many holes on both sides of the ball that packaging picks for a player who MIGHT be the QBOTF only weakens the team and renders any QB guy picked as a potential bust based on his inability to lead the team because of the crap around him.
Have some of you forgotten how horribly bad the defense was? Or the problems on the IOL?

There are arguably 5-6 serviceable QBs who are free agents this off season. Couple that with the 6 potential first round draftable QBs and we see 11-12 guys that will probably be new starters for whatever teams draft or sign them. That’s a third of the teams in the league right there.

Keeping Geno in the stable is the best thing for this team in the near future. It gives them a top half of the league QB while allowing the team to fill in holes and build up the team.

The last two drafts have been well received and by most accounts have been successes. If the ‘24 draft is even close to the last two, then they are positioning themselves for a future run with Geno as the bridge and then whomever it might be in ‘25 or ‘26.

However, all bets are off if JS sees one of the draftable QBs in the same light as he saw Mahomes and Allen.

BTW, I’m loving this offseason and the unpredictability it brings. I guess Pete was predictable in pretty much everything.
I am a little curious to see if coaching and scheme fixes some of the problems rather than tons of draft capital. Is it lack of talent or just poor coaching? They've thrown a ton of draft capital at both lines over the years. I expect them to fix some of it in the draft and in FA but i'm excited to see if any of the existing players take a step up next year. Best case scenario is the team doesn't need major surgery.

FWIW I love Penix but I can see him falling in the draft only due to injury history spooking teams. Can very much see him be the player that teams regret passing on due to over thinking it (there's always a few like that a draft). My biggest fear is a team like the Rams stumbling on him and him becoming their franchise QB of the future. If Penix does fall, I hope the Seahawks take him.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'd rather have a stud ILB (or two) a stud Guard, or a stud Safety. I wouldnt sacrifice draft capital to trade up.

Regardless of who we'd draft in the middle of the 1st, I doubt they'd be ready to lead us anywhere meaningful before '26. So if Geno is playing Brock Purdy until then, that's fine by me. Get the right guy when the right guy comes to you or is reasonably attainable. Build the rest of your team until then behind a qb who finished 8th his first year starting and 13th last year despite bottom 5 support in the running game, o line and defense.
If they take an ILB in round one they are crazy. I've now heard two big time names say they don't have a first round grade for one this year so I seriously hope they don't panic and take one at 16.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If they take an ILB in round one they are crazy. I've now heard two big time names say they don't have a first round grade for one this year so I seriously hope they don't panic and take one at 16.
Last 20 #16 picks:
CB: 4
WR: 1
LB: 2
DE: 6
OT: 1
OG: 2
QB: 1 (EJ Manuel)
DT: 2
S: 2

Not predictive of anything, I'm just having fun. But looks like CB/DE are the "value" picks here.

Fade

Reaction score
Geno can still be traded for those unaware. He is not guaranteed to be on the roster with this deadline, just more likely.

Both JS & MM have been very non-committal with Geno. They keep bringing up Drew whenever the QB conversation comes up which is very telling as he isn't even under contract.

I think they obviously value a bird in the hand here. You can't just dump Geno and have nothing at QB. He has value. The Steelers are eyeing him as a potential trade partner.

I like the option of going with Drew or a lower cost bridge taking a likely step back so you can legit go after a QB in 2025. Geno keeps you in the middle, which makes things much harder.

cymatica

Reaction score
Good. No matter how anyone thinks of Geno as a starter, he is a veteran than has improved his game and mental toughness. Best case scenario is to draft a QB and have him sit and learn for at least a year to learn and shore up the o-line

keasley45

Reaction score
Geno can still be traded for those unaware. He is not guaranteed to be on the roster with this deadline, just more likely.

Both JS & MM have been very non-committal with Geno. They keep bringing up Drew whenever the QB conversation comes up which is very telling as he isn't even under contract.

I think they obviously value a bird in the hand here. You can't just dump Geno and have nothing at QB. He has value. The Steelers are eyeing him as a potential trade partner.

I like the option of going with Drew or a lower cost bridge taking a likely step back so you can legit go after a QB in 2025. Geno keeps you in the middle, which makes things much harder.
They're bringing up Drew because they're discussing the QB position. To not acknowledge Drew is a slight the likes of which this FO is careful to not do when it comes to their players. Drew is an awesome teammate by all accounts. And he played his heart out last year.

To be asked about Geno, answer about the QB position, and not say anything about Drew is disrespectful. I don't think it 'tells' any more than that. Only that they highly value him as a player.

But they absolutely can still trade him. His contract is pretty friendly given his production. Whether for us or someone else.

Optimus25

Reaction score
If/when we improve the defense and the trenches the question is can Geno Smith win you a super bowl or failing that numerous play off games? The answer to me is no. This year QB class looks talented, next years not so much. I'm viewing it as a bridge year.
Josh Allen- No
Joe burrow- no
Jalen hurts - no
Jared goff- no
Lamar - no

All elite QBs who can’t get it done either. So if you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t, i want to take the chance of jackpotting on 4 defense picks, all in first 4 rounds.

All defense. All resources. All energy. Fix it.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So if we play Geno and don't get a QBOTF THIS year then how are we going to be in a better position in the draft NEXT year with a mediocre team and mediocre draft pick?

keasley45

Reaction score

Couldnt agree more.

He was 8th overall last year and 13th this year playing behind a horrible o line, with no run game and no defense.

Yet HE is the one who can't get us to where we want to go?

We haven't even seen what he can do with competent support on defense, on the ground, and up front.

But we do know for a fact that with little help in those areas he's 13th best in the league.

yet HE is the problem to some... or certainly NOT capable of playing a Brock Purdy role?

Gonna have to splain that one to me again.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score

That's the problem. Why do we need ANY help for 2024 season? If we do it your way we are sacrificing a strong rebuild for some short term success ending where we have ended for years. If we play the same stupid games we will get the same stupid results.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Josh Allen- No
Joe burrow- no
Jalen hurts - no
Jared goff- no
Lamar - no

All elite QBs who can’t get it done either. So if you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t, i want to take the chance of jackpotting on 4 defense picks, all in first 4 rounds.

All defense. All resources. All energy. Fix it.
You could do a similar list of elite defensive players who don't get it done. Lets see Myles Garrett, T.J. Watt, Micah Parsons, Maxx Crosby, Nick Bosa, Sauce Gardner, and on and on.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Yes, the Geno apologists are out in force. Geno was great last year ONLY because he lost enough games to get PC fired. Gold star for him. Geno cannot get us to be a super bowl contender but some only care about next year. Short termers is what got us the last 6 years of PC BS

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Yes, the Geno apologists are out in force. Geno was great last year ONLY because he lost enough games to get PC fired. Gold star for him. Geno cannot get us to be a super bowl contender but some only care about next year. Short termers is what got us the last 6 years of PC BS
Defense Bottom 5 YPC
Defense Bottom 2 Yds
Defense Bottom 2 Rushing TDs
Defense Bottom 11 Passing Yards
Defense Bottom 10 QB Rate
Defense Bottom 8 1st%
Defense Bottom 8 CMP%
Defense Bottom 10 Yds/Att

Offense Bottom 10 in:
Rush yards

You guys are just wrong. Geno isn't the problem. He never has been.