Game time food this year...

irocdave

Reaction score
My parents are coming over to watch the game with my wife and 2 sons. My parents came over for every win last year so this is a great start to the season.

My wife bought me a pellet smoker for fathers day and I have been putting it to good use with the NFL season in mind. It took a several attempts but I think I have brisket down now. My wife has been really interested in smoking brisket also and once it's on the smoker she takes over until it's time to pull it off and let it rest. We don't use the crutch, just lots of apple vinegar and apple juice spritz every hour. Picked up a USDA Choice brisket from Costco today, 14 pounds trimmed. We will trim and prep it Tuesday night then wrap it in cellophane and let it sit until Wednesday night. It will go on the smoker around 3:00am Thursday morning, should take about 12 - 14 hours to smoke and let rest.

Made a couple of pork fatties tonight with the intent to gauge game day worthiness. They both turned out awesome. I started with 6 pounds of fresh ground pork shoulder then seasoned 2.5 pounds for breakfast sausage the remaining for Italian sausage. The breakfast sausage loaf was stuffed with crumbled crisp bacon, cheddar cheese, pre cooked hash browns and scrambled eggs then coated in organic maple syrup. The it was wrapped in a thick cut premium bacon weave and smoked for 3 hours, then put on the gas grill to crisp the bacon weave. It turned out frigging awesome. Cant wait for tomorrow morning to dive in to this. We only sampled an end cut.

The other pork fatty ( Italian seasoning) had crisp bacon bits, mozzarella cheese, salami, pepperoni, provolone cheese and other Italian stuff in it. Didn't sample it but how can this go wrong?.

Also smoked two whole chickens tonight. Safeway had them on sale for .99 a pound. Put them in a brine of sugar, salt, worcestershire sauce and teriyaki sauce for 20 hours. Washed the hens off and put em on the smoker. Holey crap, most tender chicken I've ever had. Lots of left overs for white chicken chile or pulled chicken burritos later in the season.

We smoked a couple of pork shoulders earlier this year and have a couple of pounds of pulled pork left over. I found this recipe last night and plan to use it this year. http://www.smokingpit.com/recipes/Tripp ... -Chili.htm

So what's list for game time food this year?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
irocdave":tkl1tfwj said:
My parents are coming over to watch the game with my wife and 2 sons. My parents came over for every win last year so this is a great start to the season.

My wife bought me a pellet smoker for fathers day and I have been putting it to good use with the NFL season in mind. It took a several attempts but I think I have brisket down now. My wife has been really interested in smoking brisket also and once it's on the smoker she takes over until it's time to pull it off and let it rest. We don't use the crutch, just lots of apple vinegar and apple juice spritz every hour. Picked up a USDA Choice brisket from Costco today, 14 pounds trimmed. We will trim and prep it Tuesday night then wrap it in cellophane and let it sit until Wednesday night. It will go on the smoker around 3:00am Thursday morning, should take about 12 - 14 hours to smoke and let rest.

Made a couple of pork fatties tonight with the intent to gauge game day worthiness. They both turned out awesome. I started with 6 pounds of fresh ground pork shoulder then seasoned 2.5 pounds for breakfast sausage the remaining for Italian sausage. The breakfast sausage loaf was stuffed with crumbled crisp bacon, cheddar cheese, pre cooked hash browns and scrambled eggs then coated in organic maple syrup. The it was wrapped in a thick cut premium bacon weave and smoked for 3 hours, then put on the gas grill to crisp the bacon weave. It turned out frigging awesome. Cant wait for tomorrow morning to dive in to this. We only sampled an end cut.

The other pork fatty ( Italian seasoning) had crisp bacon bits, mozzarella cheese, salami, pepperoni, provolone cheese and other Italian stuff in it. Didn't sample it but how can this go wrong?.

Also smoked two whole chickens tonight. Safeway had them on sale for .99 a pound. Put them in a brine of sugar, salt, worcestershire sauce and teriyaki sauce for 20 hours. Washed the hens off and put em on the smoker. Holey crap, most tender chicken I've ever had. Lots of left overs for white chicken chile or pulled chicken burritos later in the season.

We smoked a couple of pork shoulders earlier this year and have a couple of pounds of pulled pork left over. I found this recipe last night and plan to use it this year. http://www.smokingpit.com/recipes/Tripp ... -Chili.htm

So what's list for game time food this year?

Where do you live? :D

mikeak

Reaction score
I got a traeger (pellet smoker). Going ribs in Thursday. I found the below last year and I put it in ribs and it is the best I have ever had. 6 hrs straight up. Some smoke first hour then 5hrs 225 degrees. Fantastic

http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/Memphis-Rub.htm

I have done pulled pork and brisket but like ribs because there is zero work afterwards taking my eyes from the game