Gabe Jackson released

SonicHawk

Reaction score
BBK, my favorite husky guy in a long time. Dude was all over the field but didn't have the size for the NFL. Fairly earned a draft spot. Hope he can get his body ready for the USFL/XFL.

Edited!? Come on!

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The writing was on the wall...especially with the signing of Geno and the need for cap space.
Well, that and Jackson utterly sucking while costing a lot. Even if Smith hadn't been signed, getting rid of Jackson and his bloated cap hit (considering his total lack of positive production) was an important 2023-offseason priority.

I can only think of two things involving current Seahawks players (just one player, actually) that would make me as happy as this: Jamal Adams playing for a full season and playing well, and Jamal Adams being released next offseason if that doesn't happen (and the whole mess ending as a three-year, $46.4M mistake... plus the draft picks). I'd greatly prefer the first of those two things, but if it doesn't happen, the second will at least bring an end to an unfortunate chapter in recent Seahawks history and create almost $9.4M in additional 2024 cap space.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Gabe Jackson being cut always felt like a forgone conclusion once he couldn't stay on the field.

With Blythe and now Jackson gone they don't have much choice but to bring in some fresh meat. Hope we're not looking at scrap heap guys like in the past. They've typically not put a lot of importance on the IOL. I'm hoping for finding a couple gems in the upcoming draft.

chrispy

Reaction score
Maybe there's an advantage to adding 2 rookie OLs at once. I could see, with the right personalities, learning the plsybook and blocking schemes along with someone else might be very positive. ...a study group. Those guys are kind of a team-inside-a-team anyway. Whatever JS pulled last year, let's hope for a carbon copy inside.

Jville

Reaction score
I think Steve Hutchison and Max Unger are unsigned and available.

Steven J. Hutchinson is a team member of the Seahawks highly regarded and recognized team of Scouts. He's had an impact the last couple of years in his role of scouting offensive line candidates.

Looking forward to the results for 2023.

I'm certain this team is in good hands.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Procic I’d take if available and for the right price. That’s about all I know that’s out there

sutz

Reaction score
I don't think Jackson's release is a surprise, for cap reasons as much as anything.

As a baseline, we did re-sign Phil Haynes last week. Not sure if he's ready to be the full time guy, he was alternating with Jackson last season. At least he's there and experienced in the system.

I'd still expect to draft IOL, and probably before the 3rd day.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Steve Avila & Luke Wypler. Peter Skoronski after a trade down would be a solid move that would add versatility & stability to the O-Line for years. Having an offensive line loaded with rookie contracts would also help our salary cap situation for several seasons.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
I appreciate the competitiveness and contributions of both Gabe Jackson and Ben Burr-Kirven. Knee injuries and associated wear and tear in one case with associated nerve damage in the second case have ended their Seahawk careers.

TraderGary

Reaction score
I hope this means Lewis will be moving back to RG where he excelled as a rookie. He hasn't played at the same level since. Seems like a no brainer.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
I like the big guard from Florida. Hasn’t ever given up a sack or touch in career. Can’t think of his name.

AgentDib

Reaction score
BBK's release isn't about money. His cap hit this year was still near replacement level because his rookie contract extended for a fifth year when he spent the entire season on the PUP last year. He has been struggling to overcome nerve damage suffered in the torn ACL for the last two years, and Pete made it sound like there was still a long way to go.

My guess is that Seahawks have decided since January that he probably isn't going to be able to make it this season, and that BBK is probably going to call it a career. I'm a little surprised that we didn't keep around until training camp for continued access to our medical staff, but perhaps at this point there's not much to actually be done other than physical therapy.