Frank Clark put on a clinic on Thursday!

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Clark has earned positive run-defense grades in each of the first two 2016 preseason games, and ranks 10th among all NFL 4-3 defensive ends in pass-rushing production. He won’t pass starting defensive ends Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril on the depth chart this season, but he is the most-likely candidate to fill Bruce Irvin’s designated pass-rushing role on the right side of the defense. In 2015, 309 of Irvin’s 327 pass-rush attempts came from the right side, giving Bennett the flexibility to move around the defensive line, especially on third downs. This preseason, 34 of Clark’s 38 pass-rushes have come from the right side, and his production makes him Seattle’s best option to replace Irvin (who signed with Oakland this offseason).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-50 ... 16-season/

Largent80

Reaction score
I can't see any reason why Clark won't get better just entering his 2nd year. Avril wasn't that good in Detroit but after coming here he found his game.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I disagree. Avril was good in Detroit, his teams were horrible. That's why I was so excited when we signed him... and he's still underrated.

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":1ei40hln said:
I can't see any reason why Clark won't get better just entering his 2nd year. Avril wasn't that good in Detroit but after coming here he found his game.

Um, Avril had almost 30 sacks in his last three seasons in Detroit. He's actually declined in productivity since coming to Seattle.

Maybe you are thinking of Chris Clemons?

hawker84

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3tdf1shz said:
Laloosh":3tdf1shz said:
That last play... fake the blitz and give up the first down. Was that Bobby? I'm on my phone.

Yes. :2thumbs:

Not a great showing so far this season by him in coverage. He played the run a lot better though in this last game.

To be fair he did get rubbed on that play. But IMO Bobby has never been great in coverage.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He's the next star of the defense. Really looking foward to seeing him do his thing this year. Week 1 can't come soon enough.

Largent80

Reaction score
Think what you want about Avril in Detroit, point missed is it takes a while to make the transition from decent to all pro on the DL.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Just wanted to expand on a thought for Clark. Last season here is how he compared.

Frank Clark 333 snaps/3 sacks/8 hurries/111 snaps per sack/41 snaps per hurry

Michael Bennett 808 snaps/10 sacks/24 hurries/81 snaps per sack/34 snaps per hurry

Cliff Avril 778 snaps/9 sacks/31 hurries/86 snaps per sack/25 snaps per hurry

Bruce Irvin 735 snaps/5.5 sacks/11 hurries/133 snaps per sack/67 snaps per hurry

So last year Clark was slightly more productive per snap than Irvin (Irvin obviously was on the field for more snaps in coverage than Clark probably will be this year) and not quite as productive as Bennett and Avril. If he makes a small improvement from his rookie year as you would expect him to, he could start to push closer to the Bennett/Avril numbers on a per snap basis.

I like numbers, so this is just something I threw together.