So this is Geno on Shane-Ball?

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think "impose our will" for a team with Marshawn Lynch in the backfield wasn't too bad of a plan.

Throw on how we were using our young QB at the time, it wasn't a bad strategy at the time.
I think the problem was that Pete continued the "impose our will" philosophy a bit past the time when he had the horses to execute it. Also, if a coach falls in love with "one approach" the overall talent level in the NFL is so high that many opponents can take away your strength when they know it's coming. I have to agree that in Russell's first couple-three seasons, the Read-Option that Lynch enabled was a delight to watch, but eventually the rest of the NFL started to figure it out.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think we need to take something into consideration here. We were facing two bottom tier defenses the last two weeks. Detroit was ranked 31st even before this game and Atlanta was ranked 27th. This is just purely based on points allowed. In most other metrics they are close to the bottom as well.

Geno Smith had some serious issues against the 49ers and the Broncos. In the 49ers game he realistically could have been picked off several times. His completion percentage looks good, but his depth of field has been the lowest in the NFL, until the last two weeks. Granted, the 9ers and Broncos are tough defenses.

I don't think we really know what we have with Smith until the season concludes. I've seen some good and some bad from him. I've also seen backup QB's of Smith's caliber go on these amazing runs that lasted a while, only to see regression to the mean.

That being said I do like a few things about Geno. He seems to have better command of the LOS than Russell Wilson ever did. I see him constantly making changes and adjusting protection, something Wilson didn't do consistently and something he still doesn't do in Denver with a lot of freedom. His accuracy on short passes also has been good.

Waldron also needs a shout out. This is one of the first times that I've seen an OC really exploit a defenses tendencies on the Seahawks in a long time. He knew that they blitzed more than any other NFL team, and what they did is they ran in passing downs, from passing formations. The Lions would send a blitz and Penny had nothing but a wide open field to work with. Most of that stuff was pure scheming. We didn't do much running into a crowded box, which is something I saw a lot of last year.

I'm also curious how much of that was Geno checking into a run play? Either way those delayed hand offs were killer strategic decisions by Waldron.

mrblitz

Reaction score
this running game is exciting. wait until #9 walker gets going, too. he's still getting used to the speed of the pro game.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
One thing I noticed today was the amount of time on the play clock when they lined up. Even when they WEREN'T running up tempo. It seems Geno has more time to look the defenses over.
I think this was a Wilson issue, same problems over in Denver. Play clock almost counting down to zero before every play, snap barely getting off.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I think we need to take something into consideration here. We were facing two bottom tier defenses the last two weeks. Detroit was ranked 31st even before this game and Atlanta was ranked 27th. This is just purely based on points allowed. In most other metrics they are close to the bottom as well.

Geno Smith had some serious issues against the 49ers and the Broncos. In the 49ers game he realistically could have been picked off several times. His completion percentage looks good, but his depth of field has been the lowest in the NFL, until the last two weeks. Granted, the 9ers and Broncos are tough defenses.

I don't think we really know what we have with Smith until the season concludes. I've seen some good and some bad from him. I've also seen backup QB's of Smith's caliber go on these amazing runs that lasted a while, only to see regression to the mean.

That being said I do like a few things about Geno. He seems to have better command of the LOS than Russell Wilson ever did. I see him constantly making changes and adjusting protection, something Wilson didn't do consistently and something he still doesn't do in Denver with a lot of freedom. His accuracy on short passes also has been good.

Waldron also needs a shout out. This is one of the first times that I've seen an OC really exploit a defenses tendencies on the Seahawks in a long time. He knew that they blitzed more than any other NFL team, and what they did is they ran in passing downs, from passing formations. The Lions would send a blitz and Penny had nothing but a wide open field to work with. Most of that stuff was pure scheming. We didn't do much running into a crowded box, which is something I saw a lot of last year.

I'm also curious how much of that was Geno checking into a run play? Either way those delayed hand offs were killer strategic decisions by Waldron.
The Seahawks play who's on the schedule just like any other team does. Sure those defenses aren't as good as some others in the league, but that's not Seattle's problem. It could be said that Seattle should expose them if they are that bad, and today's game shows they can do that.

As for the depth of plays, Pete already said they're going to open it up, and we're seeing the results of that now.

Waldron has done well the last few weeks. The defense let the team down.

Both of those huge Penny runs were audibles by Geno. He deserves credit for his excellent play. He's the clear MVP on the team through the first quarter (ish) of games.

sutz

Reaction score
Frankly, I thought that Geno overdid it a few times and took the play clock down to zero a bit too much. Not as often as Russ used to, but a few times. Hell, we even got 1 flag for it and Pete had to call a TO at least once for it. Now some of that is on crowd noise because it was sounding almost Seattle-like today. Their fans were into it for sure.

Good win, though, and loving the creativity on offense.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Also, Geno looks like a gazelle while running and Wilson looks like a gimpy turtle with a fridge on his back

Smellyman

Reaction score

Wilson has played the mighty Seattle and Vegas defenses

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Count me in as a Geno denier. I thought Lock would've proved a better starter until the double whammy covid & crap-the-bed at the end of pre-season. Honestly, best case scenario is Geno is a legit starter that can win games. Never would have thunk it...but open to the possibility. He's been respectable to awesome so far this year.

Solidify as a legit starter by end of season and we have 5 picks in the top 80 to bolster the D & build the foundation. Supporter at this point and hope I was wrong about him.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Pete's got his hands full with the defense, he doesn't have time to meddle with the offense.

Shane Ball all of the way. Even had a zoom sweep with Eskridge.
Do you ever listen to what former players say? This tired schtick of yours, that everything that goes wrong with the offense and defense is due to Pete meddling, is completely counter to what the long-term former players say (I am not including the guys that came in for one or two seasons and couldn't hack it and now have an ax to grind with Pete).

Listen to the KJ show last Wednesday. He tells you exactly how much and under what circumstances Pete gets involved. And, if you want a little proof that it was not Pete's meddling in the offense keeping it the same year after year just look at what's going on with the Broncos offense this year vs the Seahawks offense.

At this point, your Pete meddling theory has been thoroughly debunked and yet you keep trotting it out post after post.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Do you ever listen to what former players say? This tired schtick of yours, that everything that goes wrong with the offense and defense is due to Pete meddling, is completely counter to what the long-term former players say (I am not including the guys that came in for one or two seasons and couldn't hack it and now have an ax to grind with Pete).

Listen to the KJ show last Wednesday. He tells you exactly how much and under what circumstances Pete gets involved. And, if you want a little proof that it was not Pete's meddling in the offense keeping it the same year after year just look at what's going on with the Broncos offense this year vs the Seahawks offense.

At this point, your Pete meddling theory has been thoroughly debunked and yet you keep trotting it out post after post.
Smelling his own farts seems to have gotten to his mind.