Fantastic piece on countering (maybe) the read-option

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...ching-nfl-coaches-know-how-defend-read-option

I really enjoyed this piece. Pay attention especially to the arc blocking scheme; if we implement more of this to give Russell Wilson his own personal mauler as he cuts toward a scraping linebacker, that makes MRob (and the development of Spencer Ware) really important.

I knew some of the stuff about why the read option is such an equalizer (it turns the game into 11-on-11 on running plays, it freezes players sometimes like safeties and DEs trying to figure out what exactly is going on in the backfield, it keeps teams from overloading one side of the field to blitz). However, there are a couple of diagrammed plays showing just how effectively this play works unless the defense stacks the box (one being our team against the Bears). I also enjoyed the diagrammed play showing how the 49ers used Bruce Miller to keep scraping LBs from fooling and then hitting Colin Kaepernick.

This is a really good piece and it makes me think that the next evolution of the read-option in the NFL will be that offenses running it answer any defensive adjustments in two major ways (at least in the short-term):

1. Using a fullback as a blocker to eliminate scraping LBs, CBs, or safeties

2. Running more PA out of the read option to take advantage of 1-on-1 coverage after defenses stack seven, eight, or nine guys in the box to eliminate the run.

I think the read-option is here to stay unless a QB gets badly injured, in which case some teams might get skittish. There are just too many ways to use it to stay a step ahead of the defense if you have the personnel for it. What do you all think?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That was one of the best articles I have read in a long time. thanks.

I really like how it was pointed out that the pistol look can eliminate overload blitzes.

kearly

Reaction score
I think I learned at least one thing in every single paragraph. I normally go cross-eyed reading X's and O's after two sentences, but Brown did a great job keeping this essay at a readable, layman's level throughout. That takes talent.

The tidbit about blitzing was the part that struck me the most. Teams were afraid to blitz against ZR teams last season. That alone makes utilizing the ZR an incredible advantage for offenses. That probably changes as teams gain familiarity and comfort defending the ZR, but as the article points out, there are a lot of blitzes you just can't do against ZR teams that you could do against traditional passing offenses.

I also really liked the information on the Pistol, very interesting. I wasn't familiar with it so I had no idea about the extra blocker. In addition to it's many benefits over the more basic read option, it also provides an additional layer of injury protection for the QB.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Pretty good article. But really, stopping the run out of the RO isn't rocket science, just disciplined assignment football. Drag the LBs and safeties out of coverage, and RW, RG3, CK can still make defenses pay for it.

There aren't many defenses I know of that can consistently neutralize Lynch and an RW keeper whilst maintaining superior coverage.

Seem to remember a RW quote that he loved the RO formations because he enjoys passing out of them.

The Radish

Reaction score
two things for me. First off there's a lot of pictures of Seattle in action in those play photos.

Second, as Kip said its explained in a way anyone can understand. This is the best play option explanation I've seen since Karl the Waterboy roamed the halls of Seahawks.net.

For those new ones here the Waterboy used to dazzle everyone including NFL coaches and players with his ability to take complicated plays and explain them so a cave man could follow them.

Karl, where ever you are now a days we old timers remember you fondly and wish you were still here. We also wonder and hope your leaving the game to spend time with your wife and growing family worked out.

I thought it also sounds like defensive coaches claim to have a way to counter this play but still are worried about being able to put their money where their mouths are when the example is on the field, not on drawing boards.

And does anyone really think the offensive side of the ball hasn't spent all winter preparing new versions and extra protection to the QBs whom they pay the most money? Remember it only takes one guy to make one move to counter the move that counters the move. :roll:

:D

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Interesting. I think perhaps the only two defenses that have a chance to counter the RO is each of ours.

But we only play each other twice, so the rest of the league can suck it!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Nice article. Seems to we're seeing the start of parallel evolution in the position of quarterback on one track you have CK, RG3, and RW completing with the traditional path of Dalton, Luck and Tannehill fun times.

Latest posts