Excuses, excuses

BlueTalon

Reaction score
But of all the possible outcomes for receiving the ball first….safety, pick, punt, fg, td, the only relevant one where you would have a 3rd possession is if you kick a fg and they come back with a fg. Yea if you kick and fg and stop them on 4th, you win. If they are into analytics I would think that is a coin flip strategy problem.
My point isn't that it's more advantageous to have the ball first, my point is that there are advantages both ways. Regardless of who scores what, whether its 3 or 6 or 7 or 8 points, if the score is tied at the end of two possessions, the team who gets the ball first in OT also gets it following the first two possessions. That's a huge advantage if the score is tied after two possessions.

cymatica

Reaction score
The team that gets the ball first also gets to face a defense that's had less time to rest, while giving their own defense a break. If anything, it's advantageous to get the ball first

toffee

Reaction score

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Can someone ask the 49ers players if they knew a FG was worth 3 and a touchdown worth 6? Did they know that it was 4th and 4 when they kicked their OT FG? Did they know if they stopped the Chief's final drive they would have won? Did they know they had a 10 point lead just before halftime?

It was a close game, but the OT rules are not why they lost.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
It's just that no one cares. 49ers were good in the 80's.

Like 67% of their fanbase is the guy that ruins the social gathering.

No one cares. But they are here.

Why?

Now maybe they will go find their childhood passions and leave us football fans alone.

NoGain

Reaction score
The 9ers had multiple opportunities to pull further ahead of the Chiefs in the first half and into the second half. But the Purdy/Shanahan/other offensive weapons just couldn't rise to the occassion. There were a few times all the way into the 3rd quater where I said to myself...the 9ers should have taken more control of the game than they did.

You don't want to give Mahomes and the Chiefs more chances than they need.

kidhawk

Reaction score
you would still go first knowing that if you're at 3rd and long in your own territory you'd have to punt if you don't convert (unless you get a defensive holding call....)? but if you defer, at 3rd and long, (edit to clean it up a bit: assuming you have to go for it on 4th since the other team scored), and you can play call knowing you don't have to pick that first down on a chunk play on 3rd? i think it limits your options a bit if you go first

Yes because if you go first and both teams score the same you get the first opportunity to take the win. To assume you’re at 3rd and long and don’t convert you are basically saying you are expecting a losing situation. If you’re in the playoffs/ Super Bowl you should have some faith in your teams abilities.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Glad KC won but 49ers did seem like the better team. If it were a best of 7 and I had to bet on someone after that, I would bet on them.

BlueTalon

Reaction score

49ers players say they didn't know Super Bowl overtime rules​

you had two weeks to prepare, tho.
It would have been hilarious if the Digits had scored a TD, thought they'd won, and then be told that they have to line up for an extra point(s) attempt and then kick it off to the Chiefs. The looks on their faces, and their body language, would have been priceless.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
But of all the possible outcomes for receiving the ball first….safety, pick, punt, fg, td, the only relevant one where you would have a 3rd possession is if you kick a fg and they come back with a fg. Yea if you kick and fg and stop them on 4th, you win. If they are into analytics I would think that is a coin flip strategy problem.
Or if you score a touchdown plus 1 or 2 extra points, and they score the exact same. Any tie works.