EXCELLENT article on our QB and thus draft situation

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1718684/salk-seahawks-shouldnt-try-to-draft-elite-qb/

THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS.

Pete's stayin 'till 2025 people. Like him or not. And I do, with the exception of getting pissed off when he acts like an un-adjustmentable dinosoaur.

Geno for Prez. Again. Let's stick with what we have. Groom it. Put pieces around him/it and fix the D for ALOT CHEAPER than flushing it down the toilet on a reverse Russ2 type incident, or squandering draft capital.

FURTHER. Has anyone noticed the entire Saints multiple QB attack situation? I have. I think it's the single most underrated thing that I've seen this season. I don't follow baseball - but I understand from the 1 person that I know that does - that the entire pitching 'strategy' has changed from when I saw it as a kid. "Closing Pitcher" is a term that I hear - and they have a range of dudes that are good at 'different' things. Just like the Saints. Don't get me wrong. F the Saints to hell. But I think it's the potential wave of the future.

The point: Let's keep Geno and Lock as is. Period. Let them fight it out for the starter role offseason. And then use them as a 1-2 punch, situationally and at least test the Saints model a bit. I think it has merit. It's tough to find ONE dude that can do everything - but switch hitting?

Okay - 2 split points here - the draft and the Saints thing - but I think it has merit.

I also don't want a 5 year nightmare/Russ situation - whether that's free agency or the draft. We have what we need.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1718684/salk-seahawks-shouldnt-try-to-draft-elite-qb/

THIS. THIS. THIS. THIS.

Pete's stayin 'till 2025 people. Like him or not. And I do, with the exception of getting pissed off when he acts like an un-adjustmentable dinosoaur.

Geno for Prez. Again. Let's stick with what we have. Groom it. Put pieces around him/it and fix the D for ALOT CHEAPER than flushing it down the toilet on a reverse Russ2 type incident, or squandering draft capital.

FURTHER. Has anyone noticed the entire Saints multiple QB attack situation? I have. I think it's the single most underrated thing that I've seen this season. I don't follow baseball - but I understand from the 1 person that I know that does - that the entire pitching 'strategy' has changed from when I saw it as a kid. "Closing Pitcher" is a term that I hear - and they have a range of dudes that are good at 'different' things. Just like the Saints. Don't get me wrong. F the Saints to hell. But I think it's the potential wave of the future.

The point: Let's keep Geno and Lock as is. Period. Let them fight it out for the starter role offseason. And then use them as a 1-2 punch, situationally and at least test the Saints model a bit. I think it has merit. It's tough to find ONE dude that can do everything - but switch hitting?

Okay - 2 split points here - the draft and the Saints thing - but I think it has merit.

I also don't want a 5 year nightmare/Russ situation - whether that's free agency or the draft. We have what we need.
Depends, if geno smith goes for the current running rate of most QB's, he's not going to be worth it. You're going to end right back in a Russell Wilson situation where you have a guy that draws a huge portion of the team cap, but isn't good enough to shoulder the burden that comes with that kind of cap hit.

If Carroll Is staying until 2025, he could pick a rookie QB and develop them. When the QB finally hits their stride the team could potentially be ready to compete if they develop other parts of the roster correctly.

Also, i'm not so sure Carroll doesn't decide to hang it up before 2025. He doesn't look like his usual, boisterous self this season.

Also, i don't know why even if you sign Geno Smith that you don't go with a rookie lower round QB with potential as a backup, like say second or third round. Lock's cost is going to go up as he is an FA.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This perspective completely ignores the players that will be available in this draft. Salk pretends like he's making some genius conclusion when he has maybe 40% of the available information.

Let the board fall to you. If the most talented available is a quarterback, you take a quarterback. It's the opposite of "reach," even though Salk tried to use that word to call drafting any quarterback a reach.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The issues I have with this article and other arguments made for re-signing Geno.

1. When making a claim to re-sign Geno, you have to try and guess what that contract will look like to make a valid argument. I think most of us would like to keep the QB who has played pretty darn decently for us, but at what cost? We love the value we are getting from Geno in 2022 at a $7M cap hit. If it takes an average $31M per year to sign are we just as happy? Probably not and, honestly, I wouldn't be happy with Geno's performance at $31M over the last 4 games.

2. Drafting a non-qb also has its risks. usually it's not as risky as drafting the QB, but at the same time you do not get the return on investment drafting a DT as you would a QB. Hitting on a QB in the draft gives a team more cap space to add talent through free agency than re-signing Geno to a large contract.

3. Spending a top-5 pick on a QB does not make it harder to strengthen the defense because the first pick isn't Will Anderson or Jalen Carter. Seattle saves $30M+ by drafting a rookie QB instead of Geno. That much cap space could allow Seattle to sign at least two or three impact, known free agents. Those are signings that adds talent across the defense, not just one position.

4. IMO, as of now we don't have enough talent to win with Geno taking a large chunk of the cap space. Even with a great 2023 draft class, we probably are not Super Bowl contenders next year or the year after. If spending 15%-20% of your cap on the QB position doesn't put you into super bowl contention than what's the point?

5. With the new rookie salary structure, drafting a bad QB with your first pick doesn't have to set you back five years. I'd argue you are less committed to a rookie QB than you are the veteran QB you just signed to a multi year deal.

Optimus25

Reaction score
We can have Joe Montana back there and it doesn’t matter with this defense. We cannot stop the run when we have to and that used to be a bit of a signature for Seattle defense- even after the LoB. When they knew they were running and we knew they were running, it would almost always be a 3 and out.

These days it’s more like a 60 yd TD.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
A full draft, rounds 1-7 cost 12 million next year (I was told).

Geno will hit the market and cost 25-35 million.

The math and Geno's up and down play says to draft the best QB possible.
He's likely going to be more in the 35-40 million mark.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
We can have Joe Montana back there and it doesn’t matter with this defense. We cannot stop the run when we have to and that used to be a bit of a signature for Seattle defense- even after the LoB. When they knew they were running and we knew they were running, it would almost always be a 3 and out.

These days it’s more like a 60 yd TD.
And this is why I believe the Seahawks are going to draft Carter or Anderson (whichever one the Bears don’t take).

Sonichound16

Reaction score
I was big on the idea of starting Lock this year to see what we had since I thought it was a "lost" year and we would be lucky to get 4-5 wins. I hadn't seen anything out of Geno that made me think he could be successful NFL QB so figured we may as well see what Lock had and take our lumps. He seemed to have great arm talent in the preseason and I was anxious to see him in real game action. I will admit that Geno has looked much better than I thought he would this year, much better than at any point in his career, but I think it would be a mistake to sign him to a big long-term deal. Maybe Franchise him and draft a rookie to groom for a year? I just think you have to take the entire sample size of 10 years in the league instead of focusing on a single year. Salk says he succeeded despite a well below average supporting cast? I wouldn't agree that the Seahawks offensive unit is well below league average. I still would look to defense with our pick from Denver but then you have to see if someone drops that you think is a game changer. I could see them grabbing a QB with second 1st rd pick or a 2nd round pick.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Geno is going to want real money. Seahawks will try at 10-15 per. Geno is going to ask for 30-35. I think if what reports are saying go with lock.

WarHawks

Reaction score
No way is Geno worth $30+ mil. Not when there are so many other needs we have. Draft a qb and go heavy on D and O line, use the savings from not signing Geno to get a couple great free agent DB's in the mold of Avril and Bennett, and let Lock and the rookie fight it out. I think that's a great strategy. We may never again have a top five pick and choice of qb's like we do now.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Salk says he succeeded despite a well below average supporting cast? I wouldn't agree that the Seahawks offensive unit is well below league average.

I too don't follow this line of thinking. I hear that all the time. "Despite the lack of supporting cast around Geno..." What lack of supporting cast? We have two of the top WR tandem in the league, a solid and likely future pro bowl RB in Ken Walker, arguably the best trio of TEs and a pair of rookie tackle bookends that may be future pro bowlers themselves. Sure there are always holes (G/C, depth at RB, etc) but at their full power the offense is Top 5.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Geno hasn't show much resilience the last half of the season, and little ability to "carry" an offense when the running game has hit a brick wall. He's a $18-$22 million dollar mid-tier QB who had a decent start to the season and faded in the back half. NO ONE is going to pay him $35 million, we'd only be bidding against ourselves at that price point....that's just crazy for a "half year wonder" who has logged 8.5 otherwise subpar to completely forgettable years. And here's the thing, he and his agent must know it. No other franchise is going to pay him north of $30 mill/year for a half season of production against an otherwise unmemorable career body of work. He has benefitted from his time in Seattle, and if he wants to continue to be "the man", it's time for a reasonable and accomodating contract for the franchise that saved/revived his career.

massari

Reaction score
I would be amazed if he were to even get close to 30, ain't gonna happen
Derek Carr just signed for $40.5M APY last April. I would be amazed if he weren't able to get close to 30.