Espn analyst says we have a better roster than 49ers

94Smith

Reaction score
I will predict right now BOOK MARK IT the digits will not be as good this year as last!!!!!!!! They will still be a tough nut but will not be as good or as fortunate as last year. 5 or 6 losses.
Please explain how they were fortunate to lose 2 quarterbacks for the year last year and still finish 13-4

94Smith

Reaction score
Let’s not act jealous bud. The rankings are in and the Hawks have a stout roster after 2 years of building thanks to Russ Wilson’s trade. You’ve had your window to try and get a Lombardi but it has closed up due to really bad drafting the past 3 years and a shit show in the secondary
I’ve still got my bet with you bud and plan on collecting

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The Niners are vastly superior to the Seahawks right now and it's not even close.

Both teams are top 10, but the 49ers will dominate the LOS vs Seattle if they played today.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Please explain how they were fortunate to lose 2 quarterbacks for the year last year and still finish 13-4

Some people could say they were pretty fortunate that a rookie QB, who was the last pick of the draft, was able to step in & actually look like a seasoned, probowl caliber vet & have the team not miss a beat.

FTR, I'm not one of them, but that doesn't happen very often if ever.

bileever

Reaction score
You have a good point there. I believe that Shanahan is a magician who can do wonders with lesser quarterbacks. If there is one person that I would like the 49ers to lose, it would be Shanahan. Unfortunately, he hasn't burned himself out like McVay.

But the other way of looking at it is that the 49ers were lucky to have Jimmy and Trey get hurt because clearly Brock Purdy is better than both of them. And yet, Brock is not a world beater.

And I think (or hope) that last year was the high-water mark for the 49er defense. The changes to the front line, the key losses, the poor secondary and the change in coordinator could (again, just hoping, maybe even grasping at straws) negatively impact defensive performance.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I like the POTENTIAL of our roster over the Niners. But if we're just going position by position?

I'm still taking the Niners, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Other than Woolen, I can't think of one defensive position I'd take a Hawk over a Niner.

Yeah some of that balances out after you get past CMAC and Deebo on the offensive side. But hey, just having this discussion means we're headed in the right direction to overtake the Niners for the West.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's far too soon to say whether the Digits will take a step backwards or that the Hawks will be improved. There are some signs of the later and of the former but time will tell.

A serious question for Niners is who will be their starting QB? Other than that they have a strong team and should be still favoured over my boys.

By most optics though the Hawks are on the upswing.

94Smith

Reaction score
but Seattle is much stronger on the back end. We'll see how that pays out this season
I agree that seattles secondary is better, but everyone says the 49ers secondary is bad but I would argue they are average to good.

Charvarious Ward- very solid player. Plays under the radar as did not have a lot of INTs but allows a low completion % PFF 83.2. 1 INT 59% completion

Lenoir - shaky start to season, but played excellent in playoffs . 1 INT PFF 55.9.72% 🤢 completion percentage. 2 INT in playoffs, 38% completion percentage. This is the big question , do they get regular season Lenoir or playoff Lenoir

Tashon Gipson took Jimmie Wards job from him last year . 5 INTs . PFF 67.2. 57% completion

Talanoa Hufanga - huge splash plays at the start of of the season leading to all pro , trailed off late season 4 INT PFF 68 63% completion

Seattle by comparison

Tariq Woolen PFF 71.6 6 INT. 56% completion percentage. Spectacular rookie who should be better this year

Devon Witherspoon rookie . 2022 college 3 INTs 36% completion percentage

Quandre Diggs 4 INTs PFF 73.4 48 % completion percentage . A top NFL safety

Jamal Adams . Is he playing? 2021 2 INTs PFF 60.1 58% completion percentage

They may have been better with sticking with Ryan Neal PFF 85.6 60% completion percentage , 1 INT

94Smith

Reaction score
. The changes to the front line, the key losses,
Adding the number one defensive free agent to change the D line ???😳

Losing our starting slot corner ?😳 who did they lose? Did Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead, Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw retire? The secondary is still the same

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That's great, a QB controversy to start their season.

Chapow

Reaction score
On the offensive side of the football, Seattle is significantly better at all skill positions except for running back.

Significantly better seems like a bit much. Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk are pro bowl caliber WR's. George Kittle is an all pro caliber TE. Christian McCaffrey is an all pro caliber RB (and yes, I know you said except RB's). Those are some really good offensive skill position players.

Don't get me wrong, I love what we have at WR/TE/RB. I just couldn't go as far as saying I think we are significantly better at those positions than the Niners. I think it's a lot closer than that.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
While the Hawks are certainly getting closer - We have no TE that is even close to Kittle. He is a huge difference maker for the digits. If CMC can stay healthy he is superior to our backs at this point - his age has to catch up to him eventually......doesn't it? The biggest question mark IMO is their QB slot. Is what we saw out of Purdy the real Purdy or will there be some regression?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I’ve still got my bet with you bud and plan on collecting
Oh ok well we’ll have to see about that. Your squad needs to get back in their lane which is normally 3rd or 4th in the division. Second fiddle is a badge you’re used to I would imagine

Rainger

Reaction score
Well other than playing 2 games against Seattle they only played 3 teams with a winning record. Miami, Chargers and KC. Plus they got to play all 3 of those games at home.

One could also argue they were very lucky to win the Raiders game in OT on an interception.

In addition losing those 2 QBS was a godsend.

Just saying, like with every team, sometimes things and balls go your way. My opinion is that though they have a great roster they wont win 13 games this year.

My opinion.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score

Losing our starting slot corner ?😳 who did they lose? Did Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead, Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw retire? The secondary is still the same
Javon Hargrave was way over-hyped, and you know it. Will he make up for losing Ebukam and Omenihu? We'll see. A lot of times you don't know what you got, until you lose it.

And you're minimizing the loss of Jimmie Ward? One of your highest-rated secondary player? Charvarious Ward did have a good season, but can he replicate that? And Deommodore? Please.

And isn't Greenlaw rehabbing from hand surgery? Missed OTAs, right? Something about his thumb? Linebackers need their thumbs, you know. And Armstead's a great player, but didn't he miss 7 games last year? Or maybe 8? $85 million is a lot to pay for a guy who plays half the games. Also plantar fasciitis can rear its ugly head again once someone's had it. Plus didn't he have a hairline fracture of some lower leg extremity?

But I guess you're not worried about any of that. Or losing Mike McGlinchey from the O-line.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

Hargrave wasn’t the number one free agent. Probably the worst DT in all of football against the run. Lol Another knee jerk “Dee Ford” type of signing by Lynch. He’s had exactly 1 good year and that was due to Philly’s rotation….he was meh with Pittsburgh

Dre’Mont Jones was the number one free agent on the market. He’s fabulous against the run and just an overall better athlete and much younger. Much much younger

bileever

Reaction score
Hargrave wasn’t the number one free agent. Probably the worst DT in all of football against the run. Lol Another knee jerk “Dee Ford” type of signing by Lynch. He’s had exactly 1 good year and that was due to Philly’s rotation….he was meh with Pittsburgh

Dre’Mont Jones was the number one free agent on the market. He’s fabulous against the run and just an overall better athlete and much younger. Much much younger
Hargrave was ranked #93 against the run of all interior defensive linemen by PFF. And this is who Lynch went out to get to improve the run defense. And sign for $84 million. Why he was hyped this off-season is a mystery to me.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I agree that seattles secondary is better, but everyone says the 49ers secondary is bad but I would argue they are average to good.

Charvarious Ward- very solid player. Plays under the radar as did not have a lot of INTs but allows a low completion % PFF 83.2. 1 INT 59% completion

Lenoir - shaky start to season, but played excellent in playoffs . 1 INT PFF 55.9.72% 🤢 completion percentage. 2 INT in playoffs, 38% completion percentage. This is the big question , do they get regular season Lenoir or playoff Lenoir

Tashon Gipson took Jimmie Wards job from him last year . 5 INTs . PFF 67.2. 57% completion

Talanoa Hufanga - huge splash plays at the start of of the season leading to all pro , trailed off late season 4 INT PFF 68 63% completion

Seattle by comparison

Tariq Woolen PFF 71.6 6 INT. 56% completion percentage. Spectacular rookie who should be better this year

Devon Witherspoon rookie . 2022 college 3 INTs 36% completion percentage

Quandre Diggs 4 INTs PFF 73.4 48 % completion percentage . A top NFL safety

Jamal Adams . Is he playing? 2021 2 INTs PFF 60.1 58% completion percentage

They may have been better with sticking with Ryan Neal PFF 85.6 60% completion percentage , 1 INT
Don't forget they added Julian Love , Jerrick Reed (New Mexico) . I believe these moves are specific for playing SF.

Kobe Bryant should improve his 2nd season and Michael Jackson is a decent player as well. Listen , these two teams have to actually play the games . I look for Seattle to close the gap but is still likely a year away from going punch for punch . SF is a solid roster, but if Seattle can get there , that's scary because you have a fresh,fast young defense mostly on rookie deals.