D'wayne Eskridge

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
This kid when healthy is a hell of a play maker. Unfortunately, availability has been his issue. Hopefully he has better luck this year and is able to showcase exactly why he was selected in the 2nd round. It wouldn't surprise me though if they draft someone this year to come in and compete for that W3 spot.

toffee

Reaction score
Health and learning disabilities? One could study and learn the playbook, couldn't one? If so, why's that there were reports that he still have problem in that area?

nwHawk

Reaction score
I understood the Eskridge pick, even supported the decision. But, it’s time to find a replacement. Let him fight for #6 or cut bait. Wish the kid the best, but I wouldn’t go into the season thinking that he is another other than a candidate to get cut.

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Have I missed him being a “hell of a playmaker”? He’s been healthy at times, and done next to nothing.
I guess I should have said "can be... potentially?" 🤷‍♂️

bileever

Reaction score
Many college WRs look like they're the next Tyreek Hill, just like college RBs look like they might be the next Derrick Henry. There were a lot of good things on Eskridge's tape, but it doesn't always translate. Remember John Ross?

sutz

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anybody else is aware of this but Creed Humphrey, a center & a position of need, was still available & on the board when the Seahawks made the D'wayne Eskridge selection.

Just a little trivia for everyone.
I must have missed the 300 other times somebody pointed that out. :LOL:

bileever

Reaction score
I think it's tragic that we took Bo Melton last year in the 7th round when Isiah Pacheco was available. That was a failure in scouting to go watch Melton at Rutgers, and not see Pacheco's potential. Not that it was obvious. Because my son was at Rutgers at the time and I was living there, I watched some Rutgers games and neither of those two were great playing on a terrible Rutgers team, even though they both flashed at times. But at least one scout saw Pacheco's talent. Too bad it wasn't ours.

bileever

Reaction score
Thus far, Eskridge is JAG.

Why/How have the Whiners found Deebo, Kittle and Aiyuk... and we end up drafting the likes of Eskridge, Freddie Swain and Colby Parkinson???

What are we missing?
My theory is that good teams are busy scouting the lower rounds since they don't have high draft picks. Bad teams, or teams with high draft picks are spending way too much time scouting the top 20 picks and don't have enough resources to thoroughly scout the bottom half of the draft.

Last year, the 49ers took Brock Purdy with pick 262. The Chiefs picked Isiah Pacheco with pick 251. We used to hit on those. We did last year with Tariq Woolen in the 5th round, but the last time we hit on the 7th round was in 2017 with Chris Carson. Of course, no one consistently gets a good pick in round 7. (Alex McGough, anyone?) But if you can get a decent player somewhere in rounds 4 through 7, it helps you tremendously. George Kittle was a 5th round pick in 2017.

sdog1981

Reaction score
In the Hall of What If along with CJ Prosise, Chris McIntosh, Malik McDowell, and Koren Robinson.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Last year, the 49ers took Brock Purdy with pick 262. The Chiefs picked Isiah Pacheco with pick 251. We used to hit on those. We did last year with Tariq Woolen in the 5th round, but the last time we hit on the 7th round was in 2017 with Chris Carson. Of course, no one consistently gets a good pick in round 7.
Most NFL draft picks are busts. Teams don't even get mediocre picks consistently in round 7. You have to take these things with a grain of salt because the Chiefs drafted Pacheco after a bunch of guys who aren't looking great. In fact, they have whiffed on most of their picks in the last three drafts but all it takes is a few hits to make a draft successful. If you look at rival message boards you'll see all 32 fan bases complaining about key busts, without realizing that prospects overall are more likely to bust than not when transitioning to the NFL.

The best thing that teams can do is have a lot of draft capital so they get more opportunities to get good players. The Chiefs had way more draft capital than normal in 2022 due to the Hill trade, and they also had their best draft in a while. They wouldn't have even taken Pacheco if they had only had a single 7th round pick since they took the wazzu DB Watson earlier in the 7th.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thus far, Eskridge is JAG.

Why/How have the Whiners found Deebo, Kittle and Aiyuk... and we end up drafting the likes of Eskridge, Freddie Swain and Colby Parkinson???

What are we missing?
Deebo (2nd rd #36) and Aiyuk (1st rd #24) were higher draft choices than any of the Hawks players mentioned (Eskridge 2nd #56). Kittle was a 5th round stroke of luck.

Parkinson shows promise, and was a legit NFL tight end for the Hawks last year. His snap count has grown year over year, and he was in on 41% of the snaps last year. (Mye) Eye test: PASS+. (Eye test: Do I notice the player is in the game, and making positive plays?) IIRC, Parkinson had a key downfield block on a Penny/Walker long TD run. Maybe someone else recalls which game. Parkinson may have an unfair "Eye test" advantage because of his hair out the back of his helmet, causes him to be more noticeable. Also I notice the Hawks drew up schemes to get Parkinson on a mismatch on a smaller DB and IIRC, he caught a TD (or two?) on one of those mismatch plays.

Swain at least had *some* production, and was a passable #4 receiver and caught roughly 65% of his targets. Acceptable production for a 6th rounder. Eye test: PASS.

Eskridge... yes, a bust so far for the expectations of a 2nd round pick. Has caught less than 52% of his targets thus far in his career. Seems like a swing and a miss. Eye test: FAIL.

Last edited:

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I think it's tragic that we took Bo Melton last year in the 7th round when Isiah Pacheco was available. That was a failure in scouting to go watch Melton at Rutgers, and not see Pacheco's potential. Not that it was obvious. Because my son was at Rutgers at the time and I was living there, I watched some Rutgers games and neither of those two were great playing on a terrible Rutgers team, even though they both flashed at times. But at least one scout saw Pacheco's talent. Too bad it wasn't ours.
They drafted Bo Melton because he ran a 4.34 40 and had a 38" vertical.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I don’t know why the team thought Eskridge was a good pick when they had at that time huge liabilities elsewhere they could have used the pick on.

I’m sure they thought they struck gold but I always considered Eskridge a luxury pick.

Seattle, was not in position to make luxury picks. They needed foundational pieces on the defensive line and should have addressed it instead of picking Eskridge.

You can never forecast a players health but at that time, Seattle, could have used help on defensive line with this pick and that wouldn’t have been a luxury, that would have been an immediate chess piece for Seattle but they picked up Eskridge and are now paying the piper.

It is what it is.