Drew Locks future

toffee

Reaction score
The worst thing Geno could do is get greedy its those big money contracts that ruins players...Geno knows what its like being out of Seattle... he wants to be here. he has built commrodery with the players . Seahawks are a first rate organization that treats there players well... id be shocked if he left for money... The seahawks will offer him a good contract if they want him.
Geno has expensive hobbies, he is driving a 2017 Rolls on vet minimum salary, and not like he had big contracts before. So, Geno is very very hungry for that BIG contract, there would be where his future, retirement, and loyalty lies.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Geno has expensive hobbies, he is driving a 2017 Rolls on vet minimum salary, and not like he had big contracts before. So, Geno is very very hungry for that BIG contract, there would be where his future, retirement, and loyalty lies.
I could understand wanting some money...i guess it will depend on how the rest of the season plays out. I just think he is a system QB IMO he would be a fool to leave Seattle. I hate what money does to people and i dislike like the business part of the game. If he continues the way he is , he is going to get a good contract what really is the difference between 25 and 30 million? You invest that wisely and you can have what ever you want for the rest of your life. I dont know maybe im weird but i would rather stay if i was him... even if i had to take less money but thats just me

BlueTalon

Reaction score
If they spend the draft capital, a #1 pick, on a Qb, they are going to want him to contribute with in a year or so.
Not necessarily. The Packers took Rodgers when he fell to them in the 1st round, and then let him sit behind Favre for four years. If the Seahawks find a QB they really like, they'll take him, but they'll also play Geno for as long as he's on the team and the best option for the offense.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Not necessarily. The Packers took Rodgers when he fell to them in the 1st round, and then let him sit behind Favre for four years. If the Seahawks find a QB they really like, they'll take him, but they'll also play Geno for as long as he's on the team and the best option for the offense.
That is absolutely a possibility. So many possibilities...its going to be the most interesting off season that i can remember.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
As i remember it Rodgers was supposed to be the number one over all pick and he dropped to like 23 in the first round... the value there was so great that might have been the reason the packers pulled the trigger on that one cause they ABSOLUTELY didnt need a QB

Mick063

Reaction score
I could understand wanting some money...i guess it will depend on how the rest of the season plays out. I just think he is a system QB IMO he would be a fool to leave Seattle. I hate what money does to people and i dislike like the business part of the game. If he continues the way he is , he is going to get a good contract what really is the difference between 25 and 30 million? You invest that wisely and you can have what ever you want for the rest of your life. I dont know maybe im weird but i would rather stay if i was him... even if i had to take less money but thats just me
This is why agents exist. The agent's primary agenda is to make money for his client because his own income is directly proportional to his client income. Of course, any given agent will need to build/maintain a reputation for client satisfaction in order to gain/retain future clients. Part of this reputation building may include catering to personal preferences that go beyond money, but in the end, any given agent is always going to be in his client's ear about money. If Geno's agent is worth his salt, he is going to tell him what the current "home discount" is. Ten percent is probably too much. Regardless, ten percent of 43 million annually (franchise tag value) is 4.3 million. Hence, a franchise tag salary with a ten percent "home discount" comes out to $300,000 shy of 40 million (per year). Franchise tag value is top 10 quarterback range. Geno easily fits into that window this season.....and his agent is telling him this stuff. Every week.

Geno isn't taking less than that. He just isn't. This is the only big contract he will get for his ENTIRE career. He is not settling. His agent will not let him. I'm not declaring that the Seahawks will pay this salary. I'm declaring that somewhere in the league, there is a GM that is a gnat's a$$ away from losing his job, and a Geno rescue is looking very, very tempting (This is what Geno's agent is telling Schnieder). If Seattle makes a big post season splash, like reaching the NFC Championship game, Geno is going to be rolling in the dough because the desirability factor is of exponential growth for each playoff win. For that reason, I am of the opinion that if Seattle wants to retain his services, they should make an attempt to keep Geno affordable by signing him before post season.

Last edited:

Rainger

Reaction score
This is why agents exist. The agent's primary agenda is it to make money for his client because his own income is directly proportional to his client income. Of course, any given agent will need to build/maintain a reputation for client satisfaction in order to gain/retain future clients. Part of this reputation building may include catering to personal preferences that go beyond money, but in the end, any given agent is always going to be in his client's ear about money. If Geno's agent is worth his salt, he is going to tell him what the current "home discount" is. Ten percent is probably too much. Regardless, ten percent of 43 million annually (franchise tag value) is 4.3 million. Hence, a franchise tag salary with a ten percent "home discount" comes out to $300,000 shy of 40 million (per year). Franchise tag value is top 10 quarterback range. Geno easily fits into that window this season.....and his agent is telling him this stuff. Every week.

Geno isn't taking less than that. He just isn't. This is the only big contract he will get for his ENTIRE career. He is not settling. His agent will not let him. I'm not declaring that the Seahawks will pay this salary. I'm declaring that somewhere in the league, there is a GM that is a gnat's a$$ away from losing his job, and a Geno rescue is looking very, very tempting (This is what Geno's agent is telling Schnieder). If Seattle makes a big post season splash, like reaching the NFC Championship game, Geno is going to be rolling in the dough because the desirability factor is of exponential growth for each playoff win. For that reason, I am of the opinion that if Seattle wants to retain his services, they should make an attempt to keep Geno affordable by signing him before post season.
Sorry read my post Geno, agent or not, is not going to go spastic on Pete.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
This is why agents exist. The agent's primary agenda is it to make money for his client because his own income is directly proportional to his client income. Of course, any given agent will need to build/maintain a reputation for client satisfaction in order to gain/retain future clients. Part of this reputation building may include catering to personal preferences that go beyond money, but in the end, any given agent is always going to be in his client's ear about money. If Geno's agent is worth his salt, he is going to tell him what the current "home discount" is. Ten percent is probably too much. Regardless, ten percent of 43 million annually (franchise tag value) is 4.3 million. Hence, a franchise tag salary with a ten percent "home discount" comes out to $300,000 shy of 40 million (per year). Franchise tag value is top 10 quarterback range. Geno easily fits into that window this season.....and his agent is telling him this stuff. Every week.

Your probably right but Thats not to say that Seattle will give him a great contract if they want him.

How many times have we seen a player leave a great situation for money and end up in a worse situation and end up regretting it?

This seahawk team is going to be good for a while... interesting to see what happens and yeah extending Geno is an interesting option...im sure as they get closer to the end of the season thats going to come up if they are not already talking about it. Im excited for this coming off season.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Per Sportrac, Smith has made just under $14 million total over ten seasons. That's a couple million more than Michael Dickson has made.

He's 32. As Mick said, this is going to be his last big chance at maximizing his income. If he keeps playing like this in the second half of the season, someone will offer him a large amount of money. Like Kirk Cousins or Ryan Tannehill money or more. $30 million+ cap hits aren't unrealistic.

Sure, he might take slightly less because of tax situations offsetting or because he likes his situation in Seattle. But expecting anybody not to take a deal where they could easily make four times as much in a few years in guaranteed money than they have the previous ten years is really unlikely.

We all like that he's dirt cheap and playing well. There's a flipside to that.

bileever

Reaction score
Would you say that Ryan Tannehill is an equivalent situation? He signed for 4 years, $118 million, or $29 million per year.

BASF

Reaction score
It is pretty weird that so many of you seem to think it is a foregone conclusion that Lock re-signs with the Seahawks. With Smith's career turn around, I wouldn't be surprised if another team is thinking that the Seahawks are on to something with Lock and want to give him a look in free agency. If Smith's far superior current footwork can be attributed to the Seahawks coaching staff, they may have been able to get Lock to correct his biggest weakness.

bileever

Reaction score
Two years ago.
Yes, but Tannehill was slightly younger and had more years as a starter under his belt, so you could argue Geno's contract should be somewhat less than Tannehill's. Of course with salary inflation, an equivalent amount is more than $29 million.

toffee

Reaction score
Hypothetically, we offer Geno 10 mil, two years, 20 mil, with 10 being guaranteed. Let's say another QB needy team offer Geno 9 mil, three years, 27 mil all guaranteed. Geno might wander, of course I pulled these figures out of my behind so not realistic. That's a lot of Rolls Royces, but Geno made unusual choices, he chose to attend West Virginia over offers from Florida State, South Florida, Boston College, and Alabama, so we never know.

Mick063

Reaction score
Yes, but Tannehill was slightly younger and had more years as a starter under his belt, so you could argue Geno's contract should be somewhat less than Tannehill's. Of course with salary inflation, an equivalent amount is more than $29 million.
All it takes is one GM out of 32 to fall in love.

Further if I am a GM, I personally believe that the Geno I am seeing right now, is better than anything I have ever seen from Tannehill. Don't get me wrong here. Tannehill is really good. It is just that Geno's season thus far is jaw dropping good. I never once heard the term MVP and Tannehill in the same sentence. I am hearing talking heads mention Geno that way this year.

Own The West

Reaction score
All it takes is one GM out of 32 to fall in love.

Further if I am a GM, I personally believe that the Geno I am seeing right now, is better than anything I have ever seen from Tannehill. Don't get me wrong here. Tannehill is really good. It is just that Geno's season thus far is jaw dropping good. I never once heard the term MVP and Tannehill in the same sentence. I am hearing talking heads mention Geno that way this year.
I'd be very surprised if any GM goes hard for Geno, especially after Denver gave RW $45M/yr and found out he was Geno Smith...

Our cap situation is pretty favorable next year, so it may be we give him a 3-yr $20-25M deal with like a $25M signing bonus. Geno gets his money, but we're not married to him if we find a cheaper replacement.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
As i remember it Rodgers was supposed to be the number one over all pick and he dropped to like 23 in the first round... the value there was so great that might have been the reason the packers pulled the trigger on that one cause they ABSOLUTELY didnt need a QB
The Digits had the 1st pick of the draft that year, and it was a big discussion about whether Rodgers or Alex Smith would be the first overall pick. It was always my opinion that the Digits made the pick they were supposed to pick, rather than the one that would help their team the most.

evergreen

Reaction score
Hopefully we get him for $30-35 million fir three years while a project gets to develop. Aren’t we paying $45 mill in cap hits this year?