Down to 4 options

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Ben Johnson is not coming to Seattle. The Commanders are way down the road on him.

Chawker

Reaction score
No coachs that cheets !!! No to Bellicheet and no harbough. Don't want them at all.

I'll never root for a cheeter !

Cheers

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Mike MacDonald is the guy for me. He's the only one that had a defense that nuked the 49ers offense and slowed down the Rams offense. Not to mention just bullying the Seahawks and Lions offenses. Nobody else besides Commanders is really

I do think Ben Johnson probably winds up in DC for all the reasons mentioned, his East Coast roots and connections, and a chance to get Drake Maye, etc.

MacDonald HC and lure Kafka over to be OC. A "lateral" move for Kafka could actually be an upgrade because he'd actually be in charge on the offensive side, not being subject to Brian Daboll's meddling. Daboll took play-calling away from Kafka during the 2nd half of a week 10 loss to the Cowboys, and potentially more times than that. So I think Kafka is odds-on fave to be next Hawks OC. In my book anyway.

The Athletic has an article on Daboll-Kafka rift. See https://theathletic.com/5212397/2024/01/19/new-york-giants-mike-kafka-brian-daboll/

Either way, with only two HC vacancies left, the Seahawks have a shot at two legit candidates. I'd take Macdonald over Johnson and I think that's the way the board is falling.

Somebody needs to start a name-the-next-coach contest with prizes and stuff for whoever picks the HC correctly.
In order for Kafka to change teams it would need to be a promotion. The Seahawks could offer him a position of OC/Asst head coach to skirt NFL rules

bigcc

Reaction score
Hopefully those two coordinators face each other in the Superbowl and spare us TSwift and the Niners in the big game. Whoever wins get the Seattle job.
I'm glad the seahawks are (apparently) willing to wait because honestly.....

I'm tired of the chiefs this time of year, and the 9ers and their fans can go try and catch a punt on the freeway

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Ben Johnson is not coming to Seattle. The Commanders are way down the road on him.
If Washington & everyone else was so sure that they were getting Johnson, why are they bothering to bring in Quinn for a 2nd in-person interview (3rd overall)?

hawks85

Reaction score
In order for Kafka to change teams it would need to be a promotion. The Seahawks could offer him a position of OC/Asst head coach to skirt NFL rules
I just got this feeling that the Ravens are going to lose Sunday. With TSwift tied to KC dating that TE and promoting whatever she's promoting, nothing is better than promoting something at the SB. It's all about money with the NFL. I think it's gonna be the Chiefs vs Lions in the SB and KC will win it all. NFL is gonna sacrifice the Ravens and Lions.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Hopefully those two coordinators face each other in the Superbowl and spare us TSwift and the Niners in the big game. Whoever wins get the Seattle job.
That would mean the Lions are in the Super Bowl. Never thought I would see that during my lifetime.

hawks85

Reaction score
They can talk but can't hire
I did some checking up on this and they can't even talk until their season have ended. They could have talked if Seattle put in a request before the deadline which they didn't do. I believe they have talked already and that's why Seattle is waiting. It's not hard to get a cell number or house number and make a late call and chit chat for a bit.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I just got this feeling that the Ravens are going to lose Sunday. With TSwift tied to KC dating that TE and promoting whatever she's promoting, nothing is better than promoting something at the SB. It's all about money with the NFL. I think it's gonna be the Chiefs vs Lions in the SB and KC will win it all. NFL is gonna sacrifice the Ravens and Lions.
TSwizzle has a concert in Tokyo on the 10th. With the relative time difference it’s doable to get back to Vegas, but given her next weekend set is in Melbourne, she’d be doing some serious globe trotting.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Not fully accurate. Fired OC's can sign on as OC for another team. Likewise, OCs who are not fired, but whose team agrees to part ways with them can also move laterally.

bigcc

Reaction score
Not fully accurate. Fired OC's can sign on as OC for another team. Likewise, OCs who are not fired, but whose team agrees to part ways with them can also move laterally.

Fired OC's can sign on as team mascot for another team, they're literally not employed at that juncture.

And teams don't let their OC's walk for a lateral move or else they'd just fire them, why wouldn't the giants have let him walk before the coaching bones were picked through instead of having to find a coordinator so late? It makes no sense

olyfan63

Reaction score
Fired OC's can sign on as team mascot for another team, they're literally not employed at that juncture.

And teams don't let their OC's walk for a lateral move or else they'd just fire them, why wouldn't the giants have let him walk before the coaching bones were picked through instead of having to find a coordinator so late? It makes no sense
The Athletic has an article on the Daboll-Kafka rift; did you not read that? Link here again...
https://theathletic.com/5212397/2024/01/19/new-york-giants-mike-kafka-brian-daboll/
I'm not an Athletic subscriber; I generally just right click on an article and "Print..." and read articles in the print preview.

So you're telling me that Daboll taking playcalling duties away from Kafka multiple times in a season means that all is copacetic in Giants-land? To me it sounds like Daboll considers Kafka more like an interloper, butting in on and butchering Daboll's "beautiful offensive system" while taking credit for something that rightly belongs to Daboll, at least in Daboll-land.

Here's an article that talks openly about Daboll's volatility issues and how a high number of Daboll assistants seem to leave from not wanting to work with Daboll. Including DC Wink Martindale so far this time. It openly speculates that Kafka would even accept a lateral move, things are so bad between Daboll and Kafka.

In the article, it mentions Connor Hughes of SNY reported on a WFAN podcast that Daboll was passed over for several coaching jobs in recent years because he had issues managing his unprofessional hot-headed outbursts and teams were concerned that other good coaches might be unwilling to work on his staff.

"I talked to people that knew there were issues in Cleveland, when he was an offensive coordinator there. The same volatility and heatedness in Cleveland," Hughes said. "Remember, Daboll went through several coaching cycles before he got his job. There were some of those issues that were turned up in those coaching cycles and coaching interviews, and they wanted him to address those. And he didn't address them overly well in some of those interviews, which is why those teams passed on him despite his success in Buffalo."

"Hughes went on to note that this is something that could continue to "deteriorate" and it may result in offensive coordinator Mike Kafka attempting to leave for a lateral move (if he's not hired as a head coach)."

Sure, you can stick to your story "It makes no sense" (lateral move) but if the Seahawks really want Kafka and the new, non-Kafka HC wants Kafka as OC, the Seahawks will find a way to make it happen, e.g., designate him as assistant head coach or whatever.

I'm thinking the Hawks are really after the Ravens DC Macdonald and the 2nd interview with Kafka could have been as much about the Seahawks talking to him about the issues in Daboll Giants-land and talking about if he would come over lateral or lateral+ (Asst HC) and if his offensive philosophy would be compatible with a defensive HC, like, say, MacDonald, and if they can convince Kafka to not sign elsewhere (except as HC) to make sure he's available when the HC comes on board.

At the end of the day, it's all speculation until the Seahawks start making coaching staff announcements. Maybe they like Kafka enough for HC if they can't get Macdonald. None of us really knows at this point.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Mike MacDonald is the guy for me. He's the only one that had a defense that nuked the 49ers offense and slowed down the Rams offense. Not to mention just bullying the Seahawks and Lions offenses. Nobody else besides Commanders is really

I do think Ben Johnson probably winds up in DC for all the reasons mentioned, his East Coast roots and connections, and a chance to get Drake Maye, etc.

MacDonald HC and lure Kafka over to be OC. A "lateral" move for Kafka could actually be an upgrade because he'd actually be in charge on the offensive side, not being subject to Brian Daboll's meddling. Daboll took play-calling away from Kafka during the 2nd half of a week 10 loss to the Cowboys, and potentially more times than that. So I think Kafka is odds-on fave to be next Hawks OC. In my book anyway.

The Athletic has an article on Daboll-Kafka rift. See https://theathletic.com/5212397/2024/01/19/new-york-giants-mike-kafka-brian-daboll/

Either way, with only two HC vacancies left, the Seahawks have a shot at two legit candidates. I'd take Macdonald over Johnson and I think that's the way the board is falling.

Somebody needs to start a name-the-next-coach contest with prizes and stuff for whoever picks the HC correctly.
Excellent point. The decision to go after McDonald may have been made after this year's beat down in Baltimore.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
The Athletic has an article on the Daboll-Kafka rift; did you not read that? Link here again...
https://theathletic.com/5212397/2024/01/19/new-york-giants-mike-kafka-brian-daboll/
I'm not an Athletic subscriber; I generally just right click on an article and "Print..." and read articles in the print preview.

So you're telling me that Daboll taking playcalling duties away from Kafka multiple times in a season means that all is copacetic in Giants-land? To me it sounds like Daboll considers Kafka more like an interloper, butting in on and butchering Daboll's "beautiful offensive system" while taking credit for something that rightly belongs to Daboll, at least in Daboll-land.

Here's an article that talks openly about Daboll's volatility issues and how a high number of Daboll assistants seem to leave from not wanting to work with Daboll. Including DC Wink Martindale so far this time. It openly speculates that Kafka would even accept a lateral move, things are so bad between Daboll and Kafka.

In the article, it mentions Connor Hughes of SNY reported on a WFAN podcast that Daboll was passed over for several coaching jobs in recent years because he had issues managing his unprofessional hot-headed outbursts and teams were concerned that other good coaches might be unwilling to work on his staff.

"I talked to people that knew there were issues in Cleveland, when he was an offensive coordinator there. The same volatility and heatedness in Cleveland," Hughes said. "Remember, Daboll went through several coaching cycles before he got his job. There were some of those issues that were turned up in those coaching cycles and coaching interviews, and they wanted him to address those. And he didn't address them overly well in some of those interviews, which is why those teams passed on him despite his success in Buffalo."

"Hughes went on to note that this is something that could continue to "deteriorate" and it may result in offensive coordinator Mike Kafka attempting to leave for a lateral move (if he's not hired as a head coach)."

Sure, you can stick to your story "It makes no sense" (lateral move) but if the Seahawks really want Kafka and the new, non-Kafka HC wants Kafka as OC, the Seahawks will find a way to make it happen, e.g., designate him as assistant head coach or whatever.

I'm thinking the Hawks are really after the Ravens DC Macdonald and the 2nd interview with Kafka could have been as much about the Seahawks talking to him about the issues in Daboll Giants-land and talking about if he would come over lateral or lateral+ (Asst HC) and if his offensive philosophy would be compatible with a defensive HC, like, say, MacDonald, and if they can convince Kafka to not sign elsewhere (except as HC) to make sure he's available when the HC comes on board.

At the end of the day, it's all speculation until the Seahawks start making coaching staff announcements. Maybe they like Kafka enough for HC if they can't get Macdonald. None of us really knows at this point.
So if Macdonald is their guy and Kafka is who they want for OC, then in the situation where Macdonald has a guy he wants as OC, what do they do?

bigcc

Reaction score

What does literally any of that have to do with what I said? The seahawks literally can't even negotiate with him about a lateral move unless the giants explicitly give the ok, it'd be tampering

You can't poach a lateral move regardless of whatever the article you linked was talking about.

BTW for mobile users, type any athletics (or paywalled article in general) URL into 12ft.io

No thanks necessary, 5 second process, no ads

bigcc

Reaction score
So if Macdonald is their guy and Kafka is who they want for OC, then in the situation where Macdonald has a guy he wants as OC, what do they do?
Macdonald isn't coming unless he gets to pick his coordinators

He'd just wait a year at that point