Don't Let Russ Force His Way Out

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't want the guy that made the worst trades in the history of this franchise to trade the best player we ever had.

And I certainly don't want that same guy using whatever draft picks he gets, considering he is one of the worst in the draft over the past five years, and doesn't have a great track record anymore on other roster decisions - at least for the past 5 years.

As long a Pete is still in the chair, our future is on hold.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Welshers":14tvhrg1 said:
I love Russel Wilson and a huge fan of his but I don't think we should let him force his way out at the end of the season. He still has two years of contract left. Tell him to play for the Hawks next year or not at all. He signed a contract and is an employee like everyone else, making literally hundreds of millions of dollars to play a game.

Look at how it worked with Rogers and Ben Simmons. These guys refused to show up but when the teams would not bend they ended up reporting for work. Because it's an insane amount of money to not take. Russ may demand a trade this offseason but we should refuse. He will play 2022.

The year after is the final year of his contract and if he won't sign an extension we can trade him at that point and we will still get an arm and a leg. Don't let him bully us this offseason. Love the guy and understand his frustration but he's an employee. He can quit or play for Seattle next season. His choice.

If Pete forces a run, run pass offense through the rest of the season as he has done time and time again. It's going to be a Russ going to Jody Allen saying "Pete or Me" situation. Surprisingly I'm okay with either. I actually do believe both can be successful for the team, just NOT together. What Pete wants doesn't work with RW desires or his salary's effect on the team's roster. What RW wants, Pete doesn't want and he will not modify his defense in the way that will allow it either. What does this mean? Pete's defense gives up everything on the field, bend but don't break etc. It allows opposing offenses to drive up the field. The effect is the opposing offense will not score quick, but also unless the front 4 is amazing, the opposing offense will also stay on the field which means less chances for your own offense to get on the field. If Pete went for a more aggressive defense, it has holes the opposing offense can score quick, but it also can get the defense off the field quick and in both cases your offense gets more chances with the ball to develop rhythm (which Russ probably wants).

classicaaron

Reaction score
i dont think Wilson will ever force his way out. he may ask for a trade but thats entirely different. if he actually held the team hostage everything he stands for and every speech he gives about competing and his legacy and all that talk would make him a total hypocrite and a fake. and i dont think hes that person whatsoever. of course that doesnt mean he re-signs but he will play it out.

but agree with others that Pete needs to go and hes needed to go for about 5 years. hes just too stuck in his ways and nothing is changing, things actually seem to get slightly worse every year. Pete is great for hanging on and being a pretender and having some nice seasons buts hes not capable of winning it all imo.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
classicaaron":1pc7szy0 said:
i dont think Wilson will ever force his way out. he may ask for a trade but thats entirely different. if he actually held the team hostage everything he stands for and every speech he gives about competing and his legacy and all that talk would make him a total hypocrite and a fake. and i dont think hes that person whatsoever. of course that doesnt mean he re-signs but he will play it out.

but agree with others that Pete needs to go and hes needed to go for about 5 years. hes just too stuck in his ways and nothing is changing, things actually seem to get slightly worse every year. Pete is great for hanging on and being a pretender and having some nice seasons buts hes not capable of winning it all imo.
Last off-season was basically that. Russell's agent floating all the stuff to their media connections trying to turn everyone against Pete and the organization while Russell (the victim) denies whenever asked. He definitely doesn't want to be the bad guy. It's a well run campaign starting with LRC and it's worked rather well. Just looking at how many people on here think Russell's career has been wasted by Seattle as if he'd have 3/4 sb rings by now otherwise. I'd have more respect for players in these situations if they just owned it and asked out

John63

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":4v9423tj said:
classicaaron":4v9423tj said:

Last off-season was basically that. Russell's agent floating all the stuff to their media connections trying to turn everyone against Pete and the organization while Russell (the victim) denies whenever asked. He definitely doesn't want to be the bad guy. It's a well run campaign starting with LRC and it's worked rather well. Just looking at how many people on here think Russell's career has been wasted by Seattle as if he'd have 3/4 sb rings by now otherwise. I'd have more respect for players in these situations if they just owned it and asked out

Point of note most of us thought that his career was being wasted long before last year. So did a lot of experts. As to the rest, it's a good story you are creating but in the end, it is a story and your opinion of what happened. the problem is known one knows what happened for sure. Ther is also reporting he was laughed out of a meeting. If true then anything he did after that might be justified. There is a lot we don't know, you either choose to give the benefit of the doubt or choose to fill in the gaps with factless fiction.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ask Rodgers how easy it is to force your way out.

The salary rules are against any player that wants out before the last year of his deal. So Russell can ask and even demand all he wants, the fact is he has two years after this year left on his deal, and the Hawks could franchise him for two more years after that.

Add in that Russell doesn't seem like the kind of player that's willing to hold out and risk his precious stats or thirst for competition.

There's another element to the Russell saga that not many people are talking about, how bout Pete and John WANT to trade Russell so they can go back to Pete ball and see if they can recreate their SB run with 75% of the cap on the defense, and go find another young QB to run the offense (or a cheaper Fitzpatrick/Tannehill type vet).

IMO that's more of a possibility than Russell forcing himself out. Again, which he can't do for another two years.

LTH

Reaction score
Welshers":me4ckwyt said:
I love Russel Wilson and a huge fan of his but I don't think we should let him force his way out at the end of the season. He still has two years of contract left. Tell him to play for the Hawks next year or not at all. He signed a contract and is an employee like everyone else, making literally hundreds of millions of dollars to play a game.

Look at how it worked with Rogers and Ben Simmons. These guys refused to show up but when the teams would not bend they ended up reporting for work. Because it's an insane amount of money to not take. Russ may demand a trade this offseason but we should refuse. He will play 2022.

The year after is the final year of his contract and if he won't sign an extension we can trade him at that point and we will still get an arm and a leg. Don't let him bully us this offseason. Love the guy and understand his frustration but he's an employee. He can quit or play for Seattle next season. His choice.

Is there a major problem between Russ and Carroll? That's the question? If there is, and Russ is not happ, the question now becomes is it worth having a unhappy RW on this team because IMO they won't do anything if Carroll and Wilson are not on the same page... Might as well trade him if it can not be worked out..

now the question is when is the right time to do that and I would say after this season is when you will get the best value...

whether you like Carroll or you don't, it's Carroll's team and he should do what he thinks is best right or wrong that's what any manager or coach should do...

just my take...

LTH

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
John63":3myv0jtz said:
OrangeGravy":3myv0jtz said:
classicaaron":3myv0jtz said:

but agree with others that Pete needs to go and hes needed to go for about 5 years. hes just too stuck in his ways and nothing is changing, things actually seem to get slightly worxse every year. Pete is great for hanging on and being a pretender and having some nice seasons buts hes not capable of winning it all imo.
Last off-season was basically that. Russell's agent floating all the stuff to their media connections trying to turn everyone against Pete and the organization while Russell (the victim) denies whenever asked. He definitely doesn't want to be the bad guy. It's a well run campaign starting with LRC and it's worked rather well. Just looking at how many people on here think Russell's career has been wasted by Seattle as if he'd have 3/4 sb rings by now otherwise. I'd have more respect for players in these situations if they just owned it and asked

Point of note most of us thought that his career was being wasted long before last year. So did a lot of experts. As to the rest, it's a good story you are creating but in the end, it is a story and your opinion of what happened. the problem is known one knows what happened for sure. Ther is also reporting he was laughed out of a meeting. If true then anything he did after that might be justified. There is a lot we don't know, you either choose to give the benefit of the doubt or choose to fill in the gaps with factless fiction.

The media doesn't go on a poor Russell tour without being fed that storyline from Russell's camp. Being in denial doesn't change that fact and moving the time line for thinking Russell's career is being wasted doesn't change the fact that he's been on a career trajectory to put him in the upper crust of QBs since SB appearances

xray

Reaction score
In Wilson's mind , he is convinced beyond any doubt that he belongs in the Super Bowl every year . He is really that high on himself . It's been along time since SB 49 and every year that goes by without a SB appearance must be eating him alive . I also think that when the Hawks fail to advance year after year he feels it's not his fault it's their fault . The difference this season is that he finally got an injury that takes him out of several games . The realization of age and now the potential of injuries must be in the front of his mind now . He will be watching the SB again this year from somewhere other than the field of play . He probably knows the window of opportunity for multiple SB's is beginning to close if he stays in Seattle . Time to move on for both sides . It will be just fine if that happens too .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":1s6g2pxy said:
In Wilson's mind , he is convinced beyond any doubt that he belongs in the Super Bowl every year . He is really that high on himself . It's been along time since SB 49 and every year that goes by without a SB appearance must be eating him alive . I also think that when the Hawks fail to advance year after year he feels it's not his fault it's their fault . The difference this season is that he finally got an injury that takes him out of several games . The realization of age and now the potential of injuries must be in the front of his mind now . He will be watching the SB again this year from somewhere other than the field of play . He probably knows the window of opportunity for multiple SB's is beginning to close if he stays in Seattle . Time to move on for both sides . It will be just fine if that happens too .

While I agree with your assessment about Russell's supreme confidence in himself and that translating to wanting to be in SB's, I don't think this will translate to both side moving on.

When has that ever happened? It's usually an either or scenario. Most recently in Green Bay when Rodgers made the Packers pick between him and Mike McCarthy before agreeing to his new deal.

And what happens after you allow your QB to do that? Exactly what's happening in GB now, Rodgers doesn't like more things and wants out again just because they drafted a QB.

So IMO either we'll see another 2-3 years of the Russell and Pete dysfunctional relationship show, or Pete and John will decide to trade Russell and try to make another run at a SB before their extensions run out.

Because the Pete and/or John get fired and Russell stays isn't happening as long as Jody's the owner.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Um, don't you WANT your QB to think he belongs in the SB every year? :?
Lord Rodgers is 1-4 in Championship games, but he is no different than any great QB. They believe they are the best at their position, period. They think they are going to the Super Bowl every year. If you DON'T have that in your starter, maybe that QB should play somewhere else. And how do you come up with the assumption that Russ somehow thinks he has no blame when they lose? Literally making stuff up.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3o8zipfp said:
Lord Rodgers is 1-4 in Championship games, but he is no different than any great QB. They believe they are the best at their position, period. They think they are going to the Super Bowl every year. If you DON'T have that in your starter, maybe that QB should play somewhere else. And how do you come up with the assumption that Russ somehow thinks he has no blame when they lose? Literally making stuff up.

The funny part is after every loss Wilson always says we and then always says he has to play better. Funny how people only hear what they want to hear.

LTH

Reaction score
John63":31m4uqqs said:
SoulfishHawk":31m4uqqs said:

The funny part is after every loss Wilson always says we and then always says he has to play better. Funny how people only hear what they want to hear.

Ok fair enough but.... does Wilson sometimes just say what everybody wants to hear... I really like the guy but sometimes I think he is just mouth service and rightly so they way the media kinda runs with assumption...

LTH

John63

Reaction score
LTH":2eayyd1s said:
John63":2eayyd1s said:
SoulfishHawk":2eayyd1s said:

Ok fair enough but.... does Wilson sometimes just say what everybody wants to hear... I really like the guy but sometimes I think he is just mouth service and rightly so they way the media kinda runs with assumption...

LTH

Perhaps but his actions follow the words: first in practice, last to leave, working out with players in the offseason, practicing right after surgery, spending millions on trainers of all kinds etc etc

If he did not do all those things I might agree with you, but he walks the walk as well.

xray

Reaction score
He's on his way out . Deal girlzzz. :D

Lawke

Reaction score
As it pertains to rodgers, i would agree hes been a huge cause of drama in GB. However, citing him getting upset over them drafting a QB in the first round isnt a good reason IMO at least with some perspective. Since Rodgers was drafted in 2005, the packers only spent 3 first rounds on offense. 2 tackles (one damn good one) and obviously the QB.

I do think hes getting traded next year barring GB making the superbowl, and it would be interesting to see how that affects the dynamics of trading russ if it goes down that route.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rodgers got his coach fired, he ranted about needing a line, they got one, he wanted Cobb back they got him, he wanted a RB they got one or several, he wanted more targets they got them, he wanted help on defense and they went out and got players. He disagreed with play calling, he calls a lot of the plays now.

He wanted out so he could get his way in many instances. They drafted Love and it pissed him off, not due to the player but they didn't talk to him first, thats how much influence he has there.

Wilson does his ranting and raving behind the doors or thru his agent and it's nit as direct as Rodgers. There is head butting going on to be sure. We seen one half Waldrons offense. Then it went to Pete ball or Wilson Ball. Being we see the same plays it appears to be Wilson since I have read that Pete said he isn't catering to a player that isn't on the field right now after the last game and that he is the man in charge, take what you will from that but it appears that Pete wants to use his influence on the offense again.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":37rp3lh4 said:
Rodgers got his coach fired, he ranted about needing a line, they got one, he wanted Cobb back they got him, he wanted a RB they got one or several, he wanted more targets they got them, he wanted help on defense and they went out and got players. He disagreed with play calling, he calls a lot of the plays now.

He wanted out so he could get his way in many instances. They drafted Love and it pissed him off, not due to the player but they didn't talk to him first, thats how much influence he has there.

Wilson does his ranting and raving behind the doors or thru his agent and it's nit as direct as Rodgers. There is head butting going on to be sure. We seen one half Waldrons offense. Then it went to Pete ball or Wilson Ball. Being we see the same plays it appears to be Wilson since I have read that Pete said he isn't catering to a player that isn't on the field right now after the last game and that he is the man in charge, take what you will from that but it appears that Pete wants to use his influence on the offense again.

He has benn influencing the offense since he has been here. To include this year.

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":178y7m46 said:

It's not Wilsons job to be the OC or GM. I don't agree with that at all... if this is where the NFL is going I would say human nature is ruining the game

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
:sarcasm_off:
John63":fvhntaqn said:
LTH":fvhntaqn said:
John63":fvhntaqn said:
SoulfishHawk":fvhntaqn said:

LTH

Perhaps but his actions follow the words: first in practice, last to leave, working out with players in the offseason, practicing right after surgery, spending millions on trainers of all kinds etc etc

If he did not do all those things I might agree with you, but he walks the walk as well.

I don't agree Wilson seems very passive aggressive to me

Lth